Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Southern Polyurethanes Inc
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
TooMuchBoost

Name: TooMuchBoost
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Cool project at Georgia Tech

I met with some engineering students who are building the 2006-2007 version of this car and I told them I would donate the coatings for it since they are on a shoestring budget.

Being the typical college kids that I once was they are of course behind and burning it on both ends to get it finished for the campus debut next week.

They had some sweet buggy looking things in their shop that make a Honda Pilot look like a go cart.

http://www.me.gatech.edu/gtmotorsports/vehicles.html

Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Those are cool.

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
They do those at WVU engineering school. I helped them last year with a diesel hybrid conversion on a new Chevy Equinox AWD.
LMAO It was a German diesel and all the manuals and schematics were in German. They had to have help from the foriegn language dept.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
GSM-01

Name: GSM-01
Title: Can turn wrenches
Member`s Gallery
My old college did that and is building a Drag Big Rig. They also put a 383 in a Porsche, why I don't know. I was in charge of the big rig before I left. Triple turbos. That was a pain in the butt designing it so it would fit under the hood since the dean said it all had to go under there... Just running it around the lot was crazy. Got programs from a couple friends and Antrim said it was programmed for about 800hp when the turbos got on it. Hope they weld it nice, the thing will be sweet one day when it is done.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
inline6359

Name: inline6359
Title: Microwaving cats since 01
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM-01
My old college did that and is building a Drag Big Rig. They also put a 383 in a Porsche, why I don't know. I was in charge of the big rig before I left. Triple turbos. That was a pain in the butt designing it so it would fit under the hood since the dean said it all had to go under there... Just running it around the lot was crazy. Got programs from a couple friends and Antrim said it was programmed for about 800hp when the turbos got on it. Hope they weld it nice, the thing will be sweet one day when it is done.

You didnt happen to go to penn tech did you?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
It seems that someone has heard of it. I'm not proud to say I went there but it was a school. They had the single on it till last semester. Buddy of mine took all the wiring out to see if we could actually make sense of the whole mess under the hood. I gave my buddy and a teacher, Mr Sones, blue prints of how to setup the thing and diagrams for the wiring. Whether or not they got around to it, I don't know but I know they are close to having everything they need to finish it and now they know how to to setup the turbos so they will fit.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM-01
It seems that someone has heard of it. I'm not proud to say I went there but it was a school. They had the single on it till last semester. Buddy of mine took all the wiring out to see if we could actually make sense of the whole mess under the hood. I gave my buddy and a teacher, Mr Sones, blue prints of how to setup the thing and diagrams for the wiring. Whether or not they got around to it, I don't know but I know they are close to having everything they need to finish it and now they know how to to setup the turbos so they will fit.

Why are you not proud? this dosent make me look forward to going for my 4 year degree. It has to be better then rosedale tech. I know way to many morons to even go there.

I cannot wait to work on the truck if it is still there in 09 when i am done with my buisness half. What motor and pump is in it? There has to be more room in there then 800 horse.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
Well, theres a thing about the diesel program. Everyone hates everyone else. Each guy that has a diesel truck thinks its better than everyone else's. I think I had one friend that had a diesel truck up there. They all talked s**t and no one could back it up. One kid actually stepped up to me once racing up over Route 15. It wasn't a happy race for me, he just kept blocking me. I finally took the burm and passed him (not smart but if your going to race, do it right).

Sones wants the truck to be done, but never lets anyone work on it.... I don't get it. I finally said screw it and started working on it myself with my buddy Micah.

Every new kid thinks they know more than the others. One kid told me once you cannot get 1000hp out of an diesel pickup truck no matter what you are doing to it. Then he turned to me and said his truck had 675hp with a Banks system on it... (Not bashing Banks but I couldn't believe that remark)

When you take engines you will see who has it and who doesn't. My one buddy and I raced to see who could get their L10 done first and with better power. We got them done so early we dynoed both, he beat me by 2hp but he still says it was a tie.

Some people are smart there, however, alot aren't. I have worked on rigs for a while now so I knew what was going to happen from the beginning plus I grew up in Williamsport. The drag truck sort of just fell into my hands. No one was working on it and the previous owners were thinking of buying it back since there was no progress.

It has an E7 Mach engine in it. The pump and injector stuff I cannot say online cause the previous owner doesn't want anyone to know they had their hands in on it but if you go there and start working on it you will know who did what and if not, get at me, I can tell you what may need to be done if there are still unknowns. The guys that actually do work on it, its like a faternity and we like to keep things to ourselves since it isn't done. The truck will be there for a while as I said, Sones doesn't work on it, his kids wrestling season is way to important to take a weekend and actually get it where it needs to be.

Antrim told us the tunes we had were 800hp from what they saw of it which is alot for a reg cab single tandem truck. The thing goes. If no one is working on it when you get there, get ahold of me, Sones doesn't realize it but we blue printed most of the truck so we know where things need to go and what needs to be done. We just have to get people that know what they are doing to do it.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Sounds like 09 will be interesting! How many there have mean trucks, not just think they do? Im thinking of taking mine. From what i saw when i was there they all have alot of fuel but no air.

There was some kids there the day i visited there who reved up their trucks and were having problems with it. I thought of asking them waht was wrong and try to help but i figured they looked like the bunch that would just laugh at me.

You said dyno the motor you tore apart? So can we play with the pump and other things to see what we can get?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
When did you stop and visit? Other than my truck and another kid named Jesse up there, the rest really have nothing. The Blue 7.3 lifted with stacks has a EGR system sealed off for an exhuast brake. There is a Maroon one (not my new one) that is running ok. He might have been one with the problem you say. He has full cut DVs, 330 injectors, Garrett T61 turbo, 4k GSK, 4in exh and the Haisley Plate. The truck ran pretty nice but the kid has to learn what he is doing. I got him the parts and he said he could do it. I figured it wasn't that hard to do DVs and GSK. Well he comes back and it wouldnt rev above 2200rpms without falling flat on his face. I check over all of it and all was good. I told him he was gettin rack float because the supply to the rack wasn't there. He sat around for 5 months with it before he finally changed his lift pump out. He kept telling me I was wrong and once he changed it the thing ran beautiful.

The other trucks include a blue 02 dodge, he has a nice single, injectors, along with some good prgramming be got form me. There was a DMAX but they kicked him out of the school after he put his hand in the turbo.... Erik runs a nice setup but its not all the impressive. He gets all his stuff from a friend. He said he had 5k GSK and when I free revved it, it went to 3200 and topped out. So no go on the 5k kit...

Alot of the kids know what they are talking about when it comes to big rigs, just not pickups. But they only know stock or options from factory, no major power things. You will have a couple people you will like and I have been gettin some of my local women friends to start going for Diesel Tech and they love it cause they know more than most of the men and its funny.

Depending on when you visited I might have been there with the truck as my icon. There are really few trucks there that run. And the most powerful truck I thought would race me, Jesse, wouldn't race me because he said I smoked him. There are a couple trucks in town too that are ok, nothing special though.

In all seriousness I don't see why you would want to come here. The education is not that good. Some teachers are good but most are just, well, not. I was talking to Weston about ya the other day and my buddies that goes to school with me overheard me saying to Wes that you wanted to come all the way from Utah to go here. My buddies looked at me, and both said "don't let him do it, that's one of the stupidest moves he wil do" You see we are an Affiliate of Penn State. Penn State is a very nice, well know college, as if I didn't have to state that. But, they don't want to be related to gear heads, and its obvious by the funding and cuts we have had to take. If you got to the ESC, your like an outcast to most of the rest of the school. The only people that go over the mountain to the ESC are the tree huggers, tree killers and diesel boys. Half the engines in the rooms you will never see in your entire life of working under the hoods. I got an L10 cause I knew what it was and knew I could play with it. The teachers really didn't know we played with them, we just asked to dyno them, after we dynoed them and saw numbers they knew we played with them.

I'm actually moving to MO to take some schooling out there at OTC which has way better equipment than PCT. I was out visiting a few friends and stopped in and saw what they had and it jsut blew me away. They had up to date engines and all types of stuff. Its why I dropped out of PCT. I was going there and paying $5,500 a semester to learn nothing. I slept through every class but two in Fuel Systems and one of the two I didn't sleep through I taught cause there was a bet with the teacher I didn't know what I was talking about. Anyways, I got a A+ in the class and only ever learned what VE for the Bosch VE pumps stood for, and I forget that I think. That and 15 is to young, 36 is too old and 24 is just right (1-5-3-6-2-4 firing order) and I knew the firing order, just a cool little saying to go with it. It was a waste of my money to me but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by GSM-01; 05-04-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Utah? I live in western pa. About 20 miles from pittsburgh. This school and rosedale are my 2 options. I know some people that graduated from rosedale and only one that i know of really knows what he is talkingt about. What i also like is i can turn this into a 4 year degree instead of a 2 year.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
You can turn it into one with the small business end of it or for Heavy Equip/Diesel tech but thats only a 3 yr program. I thought i saw somewhere you lived in Utah, my mistake. The school ain't about the teachers its about you. I read every last book for my classes before the first day of school. I wanted to learn. They had the tech to get me started but from what they told me I surpassed it. I quit last semester, now the teachers call me to try and figure some of the engines out because they are botched together. It all extremely old technology there, which is why I'm going to OTC. Its going to help me learn the electronics end of it since that is what everything is going too. I would just seriously think about it. I was paying 5,500 a semester and now I'm going to be going to OTC and speding 1k and gettin a better education. Just a thought. But the drag truck was a cool project.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Randall12v

Name: Randall12v
Title: ...
Member`s Gallery
might as well go to wyotech, cost is more, but if you're stressing length of time...i'm done here in 9 months w/ a degree. 1 year if I decide to take advanced diesel...or chassis fab.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
What is OTC i may have some things to rethink. You tell a completely different tale then the instructors did.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
Ozark Technical Community College out in Springfield, MO. The electronics base is really not that strong at PCT, or at least as strong as they say it is. OTC is right down the road from Peterbuilt of MO and they have made some big contributions to the place. Its pretty much like PCT for less money, better equipment and in a redneck area. Its costing me the same to go to OTC plus rent plus other living expenses as it does for just tuition at PCT. I guess the main thing is what do you want to do. I work on higher performance engines so the basics that PCT taught were not what I needed. I knew how a diesel works, I didn't need to be taught that. Doc Johnson is about the nicest teacher there. He used to work with drag cars all the time and still does. Buddy Greevy (Don't ever call him buddy) is a bi-polar ahole. I grew up our him and needless to say, it hasn't been a joy living near him or a student for him. Not only that but I caught him in the teachers lounge making out with his gf (who is about 20 yrs younger) and had to figure out how to tell his wife what happened since I'm friends with her.... Mark Sones is an ok guy. Just do what he says and try to get along with him and your fine. Scott Welch, well, we call him the movie man. I saw "Ice Road Truckers" 4 times in one semester for hydraulics just because the guys like the show so much. The longest class I had with him was about 21mins (we kept track) He's a brilliant man, mother and father are both nerosurgens, and it shows. Flies planes like no one business but just doesn't really care that much about teaching. After that, it goes downhill and the problem is half are retiring after this semester. Mr. Appleman, Papa Zell along with a few others are just ridiculous. For Appleman, his grading system was just wrong. At the end of the semester all the higer score you coudl get was a B, but you could get a -80% if you didn't do well in his class. The dean of PCT finally had it with him which is why he is retiring after this semester. Papa Zell, he just thought we were all supposed to know electronics. I don't knwo how many times I electricuted myself in his class because of the "My way or no way" saying but I still got a few scars from it. I know your going to have some ****ty teachers and some good teachers but for someone that already knows diesel engines, its not the school for ya IMHO. I want training in OBDIII and other modern electronics, they don't even have OBDII at PCT. Kilcyone is another teacher that does it his own way. If you can stay awake for one of his entire classes, you'd be the first. He only has classes early in the morn and when you walk in he turns out the lights and show you slides all day long, usually for 4 hrs since thats how long his class is. What instructors did you talk to when you were there? Who was your guide while you were there also? Might help me figure out what load they planted in your head.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Sones was my guide as well as informant.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
Sones was technically in charge of the drag truck. Its what gets alot of people there, it just never gets anything done to it until Micah and I started working on it. We got the wiring bugs out of it, started first time with every last guage and reading looking perfect. However, PCT is NOT, and I repeat, NOT a high performance school even though the drag truck makes it looks so. Teachers say if things get done they work with high performance, however, it never happens because they have to wait for the whole class to finish and I have yet to see that happen. Doc Johnson helped me most with the high performance end, teaching me different cam setups, injection systems and weak point, along with many other things unfortunately I had to see him after class for all of it or it didn't have much to do with pick ups, just big rigs. If I could have had every class with him, the college would be one of the best in the world. The turbo end of it helped me the most. If your looking for more high performance, I would look else where or if you need specific training, also else where where it is cheaper. But I'd definately think twice about the whole situation.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
well to late, i tried to talk it out with the parents and they gave me the typical story. So i am going there. If i seek performance i will do either one of 2 things, learn it on my own like i have or go elsewhere after this school. being as i dont really want to move far from home i will finish these 4 years, see what offers i get and move on from there. Atleast im in something i want to be this time. Aerospace was a nightmare for me.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #19
GSM-01

Member`s Gallery
That's cool. If you need help on what teachers to schedule let me know. Certain teachers teach certain classes only on some semesters so the you change up courses and get better grades if you have better teachers or learn more with them. Doc Johnson and Sones are the main teachers you want to have. If you do heavy equipment, Greevy will be you teacher but if not, stay away from him as much as possible. Welch is another good one, sorta a teach yourself class and he helps on tips if you ask him out fo class. for electrical, wait until you can get it with Doc, it can be teh difference between and A and a D.... There are a couple new teachers coming in and I will try my best to keep up on them and let you know.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
how much longer will you be up there? I will start my buisness side of the degree this coming fall, may have to meet up.

Closed Thread