Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
JasonCzerak

Name: JasonCzerak
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
u-joints at 700+hp

i'm closing in on 700hp. My u-joints are about 2-3 years old now. first set of aftermarket joints. The biggest "sledpulling tested" precisions joints you can get in the shafts. I forget the numbers, but I can find that out on TDR if I need to. The last 2 times the trans has been out the guy tells me the joint at the each axle is tight. They are a little tight, but not to much. They do seem to need and extra squirt of grease then the others.

So I'm thinking about a driveshaft u-joint project this spring.

What is use among the high speed and high hp folks?

What about balancing the two piece shaft? where do I find shops that do that?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCzerak View Post
i'm closing in on 700hp. My u-joints are about 2-3 years old now. first set of aftermarket joints. The biggest "sledpulling tested" precisions joints you can get in the shafts. I forget the numbers, but I can find that out on TDR if I need to. The last 2 times the trans has been out the guy tells me the joint at the each axle is tight. They are a little tight, but not to much. They do seem to need and extra squirt of grease then the others.

So I'm thinking about a driveshaft u-joint project this spring.

What is use among the high speed and high hp folks?

What about balancing the two piece shaft? where do I find shops that do that?
Bump? anyone?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
cumminsX

Name: cumminsX
Title: Can't make up my mind
Member`s Gallery
I have replaced all of mine on the truck. The only ones I could find at the time were oem, but I would also like some info on something bigger. I am building a motor right now and hope to end up around 800hp so I think something will be needed. I have thought about having new shafts built that will accept a larger u-joint. The machine shop that is doing the work on my motor also had a drive line shop and he says he can balance to within 2 grams, I don't knopw if that is for a 2 piece shaft or not but i wil ask. When I changed the ones at the axle ends on mine they were all but broken in half.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
Jason, since you have the 271(or 273 if its pushbutton) Transfercase, the joint at you TC is a 1480 due to the yoke size... thats the size all the "high hp" go to... Not sure about your other joints, but the 1480 is the size you want.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlagg View Post
Jason, since you have the 271(or 273 if its pushbutton) Transfercase, the joint at you TC is a 1480 due to the yoke size... thats the size all the "high hp" go to... Not sure about your other joints, but the 1480 is the size you want.
Well, not so much size. quality. How often do folks pro-actively change out joints? I may even put in drive shaft loops as well this year. 700hp Much > then 300 hp. I figured putting 130mph runs down the e-way something's going to break in the drive line next for me.

anything under 80-ish mph or 5th gear and lower, I suspect I'll be in 4x4 anyways. So the power will be 50/50 due to traction issues. Would that negate my worries? Already out of the toque multiplication gears and in the top gear. Well over the torque peek in the RPM band as well.

As see in the avatar, the week link may very well still be 6th gear. ..

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
bones

Name: bones
Title: certified n bovine defctn
Member`s Gallery
it may sound bad but i still use the stockers,23000 miles 4 motors and current 900 hp boosted launches.i shake the shafts after every race and so far so good.heck to be honest i dont even grease em like i should....

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
it may sound bad but i still use the stockers,23000 miles 4 motors and current 900 hp boosted launches.i shake the shafts after every race and so far so good.heck to be honest i dont even grease em like i should....
Good thing you didn't attempt to grease them. cuz the "stockers" are not grease able

Every month I go and touch every ball and joint. 14 grease fittings total. I go though about one mini tube of grease. mileage varies. Say 2000 miles maybe? the ball joints seem to just eat the stuff.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
rileydsking

Name: rileydsking
Member`s Gallery
i thought spicer had a hd joint.. solid non greasable.i know they have it in 1410.
64 coupe deville
94 lightning

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
f6jbob

Name: f6jbob
Member`s Gallery
I know Catco in Eau Claire does balancing. Probably Catco in the cities also.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
When mine was made for the conversion they used Spicer 1480's and did a high speed balance. So far so good.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
HURTS SO GOOD

Name: HURTS SO GOOD
Title: Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
Ive always know people wanting to go with a differant drivshaft setup, and wanting to stay a little cheaper just dealing with a non performance place. They do just as good of a job as any high performance place and you can get it set it up however you want. A buddy of mine twisted his driveshaft in two and indy joint and clutch made him a new one for $200. I see you are from MN, you might check out

http://www.provenforce.com/contacts.html

Closed Thread