Torque Converter Stall

05Supersmoker

West Texas Diesel Perf.
I have a '91 dodge as a sled puller, it is p-pumped, laser cut dv's 4000 gsk, 330's, s400 turbo, water injection, etc. it had a modified hx40 on it and i was afraid of breaking a shaft i replaced it with a s400. well the converter is too tight now and converter is at suncoast right now and they where wondering how much stall i wanted. i have heard between 2000 and 2500. any help will be appreciated. thanks

IMHO, I'd go with something in the 2200-2400 range. I'm thinking of the s400-sized 'charger I ran and it spooled somewhere around 21-2200. I have nothing else to base this on and I could be waaaaaaaaaaay off. :)

Is it a lockup convertor? Ask them how much it will bog the engine when you flip the lockup switch at full tilt on the pulling track (3800 rpm??). If it bogs pretty good, then decrease the stall speed. If it doesn't really bog at all and allows the 'charger to spool, then you have it right? If it doesn't bog and doesn't allow the turbo to light, then it's too tight.

branodn.

It is not a lock up convertor, it has all the 3 speed internals in a 47re case. so if i change the convertor, input shaft and valve body i think i can make it a lockup with a toggle switch. suncoast said if they build this convertor like this it will be the first one they have built

Hmmm. Then I bet Suncoast has a good idea of what you need. I would stay in the lower end of the stall range because I believe that will translate into a more efficient power transfer.

brnadon.

Back