Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Pro Pulling League(PPL)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #21
D&J Precision

Name: D&J Precision
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I e mailed ppl for clarification and the said they were reviewing the rule Monday.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Precision View Post
I e mailed ppl for clarification and the said they were reviewing the rule Monday.
It blows my mind that the Professional Pulling League releases a rule change nationwide, then has to go back and review it? Doesn't look like 3.0 ppl this year will be anything familiar to what it was last year. I think they'll be lucky to have a half dozen trucks most hooks that aren't "big" venues.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #23
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
It's more of the same PPL stupidity. Why are heads even a topic of discussion in this class?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #24
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
It's more of the same PPL stupidity. Why are heads even a topic of discussion in this class?
Originally the head rule was brought up to be no billet heads. The head rule shouldn't be left wide open. If you want a billet head there is a class for you. PPL let this class get out of hand and it's going to show it's face this year. If they would have kept a handle on the Turbo/hp and kept everything at a decent level to where a deckplate engine wasn't needed to just keep a engine together I think we wouldn't be having any discussions. If this class was 1300hp Odl it would thrive. 2.6 will take it's place.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #25
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
Originally the head rule was brought up to be no billet heads. The head rule shouldn't be left wide open. If you want a billet head there is a class for you. PPL let this class get out of hand and it's going to show it's face this year. If they would have kept a handle on the Turbo/hp and kept everything at a decent level to where a deckplate engine wasn't needed to just keep a engine together I think we wouldn't be having any discussions. If this class was 1300hp Odl it would thrive. 2.6 will take it's place.
I am not so sure anymore, as you would still end up with $7000 turbos(shops will charge what people are willing to pay for a winning setup) You would just end up with folks building several engines per season,

If you are not sure, just look at the 2.6 class, folks argument for ODL is so the trucks are more reliable(the same argument for a deckplate in 3.0). The classes will run the same and the numbers will settle out for those that are willing to pay. I think what you have will be the norm, local clubs will have their modified set of rules, and the big money will stay in the big organizations. Some folks will realize that they aren't willing or can't spend the amount of money it takes to chase PPL/NTPA.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I am not so sure anymore, as you would still end up with $7000 turbos(shops will charge what people are willing to pay for a winning setup) You would just end up with folks building several engines per season,

If you are not sure, just look at the 2.6 class, folks argument for ODL is so the trucks are more reliable(the same argument for a deckplate in 3.0). The classes will run the same and the numbers will settle out for those that are willing to pay. I think what you have will be the norm, local clubs will have their modified set of rules, and the big money will stay in the big organizations. Some folks will realize that they aren't willing or can't spend the amount of money it takes to chase PPL/NTPA.
I do agree with you. I does suck to have a bastard set of rules but it's for the best for most local orgs. Although I believe there is a very simple Turbo rule that would basically make a 7k Turbo worthless. 3.2x3.6 smooth bore. 2.6 and 3.0 combine. Basically a guy could take a 100% stock cast wheel 60 put a cover on it and make good power. Clipped wheel turbos are b's and everybody knows it.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #27
WI Huck

Name: WI Huck
Title: Where does the time go?
Member`s Gallery
2.5 and 2.6 need to be combined and use a stock out of the box turbo like an hx40. Pick a couple of brands and part numbers. Make it a full interior and able to be street driven. 3.0 should be limited to any single turbo and open driveline. Get back to what it was supposed to be. Street trucks, single turbo pulling trucks with steel bodies and stock style frames, and the open multiple turbo, fiberglass bodies and tube chassis.

These new rules to try and allow the Hamilton heads on a Cummins but not a Wagler head on a Duramax are foolish and not able to be teched. It looks a little bit suspicious when in a Cummins dominated sport one Duramax makes a credible run for the points championship and then all of a sudden a new rule comes out.

2003 Chevrolet Duramax Pulling Truck "Never Enough"
2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

BADGER STATE TRACTOR PULLERS
HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Huck View Post
2.5 and 2.6 need to be combined and use a stock out of the box turbo like an hx40. Pick a couple of brands and part numbers. Make it a full interior and able to be street driven. 3.0 should be limited to any single turbo and open driveline. Get back to what it was supposed to be. Street trucks, single turbo pulling trucks with steel bodies and stock style frames, and the open multiple turbo, fiberglass bodies and tube chassis.

These new rules to try and allow the Hamilton heads on a Cummins but not a Wagler head on a Duramax are foolish and not able to be teched. It looks a little bit suspicious when in a Cummins dominated sport one Duramax makes a credible run for the points championship and then all of a sudden a new rule comes out.
Here we go.

Does a wagler head not fit with in the stock head dimension? If we are going to start allowing heads that are taller, longer and wider then stock but are ok because they are cast then why can't a billet head be legal? All the heads on the market are with in stock dimensions but a couple trucks. So why shouldn't the rules be locked down to limit the heads? Would you be ok with us showing up with billet heads on and running them

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Last edited by DISTURBED; 12-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
WI Huck

Member`s Gallery
If it did not fit a stock block, you would not be able to use a stock block. As the heads get taller on a V8 motor the factory intake manifolds no longer fit.

2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #30
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If it did not fit a stock block, you would not be able to use a stock block. As the heads get taller on a V8 motor the factory intake manifolds no longer fit.
Then who is try to and where does it say they are trying to exclude a wagler head if it fits with in the stock dimensions?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #31
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
3.0 should be limited to any single turbo and open driveline.
The unlimited single trucks we all once knew were 1000-1100hp trucks with 100% stock short blocks, oem heads with no fancy intakes. Stock intercoolers and water injection only. Not the 2000hp+ the class would be today with 10k 4.5 turbos. A unlimited single class today wouldn't last a full year. . I don't know how the economy is where you people live but ours does not support 100k+ pulling vehicles. I do agree there will always be people spend top dollar on everything but when we leave the rules open to do so, that's our own fault.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #32
WI Huck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Then who is try to and where does it say they are trying to exclude a wagler head if it fits with in the stock dimensions?
Manifold bolt pattern dimensions must retain stock dimensions.

2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Manifold bolt pattern dimensions must retain stock dimensions.
So the head is taller then?

And nobody has confirmed they are speaking of the exh flange only

Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #34
WI Huck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The unlimited single trucks we all once knew were 1000-1100hp trucks with 100% stock short blocks, oem heads with no fancy intakes. Stock intercoolers and water injection only. Not the 2000hp+ the class would be today with 10k 4.5 turbos. A unlimited single class today wouldn't last a full year. . I don't know how the economy is where you people live but ours does not support 100k+ pulling vehicles. I do agree there will always be people spend top dollar on everything but when we leave the rules open to do so, that's our own fault.
If you allow any single turbo a person would not have to spend the big money on custom made turbos that use a MWE groove in a way that only feeds the larger part of the wheel instead of allowing the air to escape back to the inlet side as it was intended. It would bring the price of turbos down, not up. Sure someone will try to strap on a V16 Cat turbo, but if the objective is to lower the cost of turbos this would do it and make tech inspection a lot easier.

2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
WI Huck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So the head is taller then?

And nobody has confirmed they are speaking of the exh flange only
I don't have one so I could not say. Are the Hamilton heads taller? Why did they write the rule in the way that they did? What other reason for the rule is there? It all appears knee jerk to me!

2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 12-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Here we go.

Does a wagler head not fit with in the stock head dimension? If we are going to start allowing heads that are taller, longer and wider then stock but are ok because they are cast then why can't a billet head be legal? All the heads on the market are with in stock dimensions but a couple trucks. So why shouldn't the rules be locked down to limit the heads? Would you be ok with us showing up with billet heads on and running them
The way I read the rule neither the Hamilton or Wagler heads would be legal since they are not OEM heads... If they clarify to OEM dimensions then the Wagler would be legal for the Duramax guys but the Hamilton does not have the intake trough so it does not meet OEM measurements and no Cummins could run a head with an aftermarket intake and milled head...

Seems like they have a lot of clarification to do before the season starts.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If you allow any single turbo, it would bring the price of turbos down, not up.
Turbos may be cheaper, but it would ruin the class. So you want to pull against Calvin Miller if he puts a set of DOT tires on? There have been plenty of good options suggested to limit the classes, but it is obvious there is no plan to do so.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #38
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If you allow any single turbo a person would not have to spend the big money on custom made turbos that use a MWE groove in a way that only feeds the larger part of the wheel instead of allowing the air to escape back to the inlet side as it was intended. It would bring the price of turbos down, not up. Sure someone will try to strap on a V16 Cat turbo, but if the objective is to lower the cost of turbos this would do it and make tech inspection a lot easier.

Do any of the open turbo classes run a $10K turbo? If so I would think that would discredit the above thought.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #39
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I don't know how the economy is where you people live but ours does not support 100k+ pulling vehicles. I do agree there will always be people spend top dollar on everything but when we leave the rules open to do so, that's our own fault.
I think everyone is missing the idea. Most pulling orgs are happy with a class that have 8-10 committed trucks. They target folks who have the money to build and run $100K setups.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #40
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I think everyone is missing the idea. Most pulling orgs are happy with a class that have 8-10 committed trucks. They target folks who have the money to build and run $100K setups.
Once again I agree with you to a extent. PPL puts on a hell of a show but the problem is ppl and ntpa together probably account for less than 5% of the pulls in the country. From a puller stand point I hated both ppl pulls I went to this year and really don't care if I go to another. Couldn't watch any of the pull hardly at either one, had to sit in the pits waiting for them to come get you to weigh and all that B's. Went to a big itpa pull with a bigger spectator crowd than schied and it was a enjoyable experience. Just Burns my ass when people say the world should revolve around ppl they aren't the only quality group around. Just my opinion. I know others will differ.

Closed Thread