Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
97strokeonit

Name: 97strokeonit
Title: STROKE-A-HOLIC
Member`s Gallery
Air Compressor Q's

What size air compressor would be suitable to run a couple air tools off of without a problem?

I found an Ingersol Rand either 120 or 150 gallon air compressor that is in awsome shape and runs like new for 800 bucks. I think thats a little over kill but is that a good brand/ deal?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
BtsNhoS

Name: BtsNhoS
Title: I need a truck
Member`s Gallery
120 gal. is more than enough to run some tools. but other than that it is good brand/price.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Diesel Powered

Name: Diesel Powered
Title: -
Member`s Gallery
Tank size isn't really the thing to look at. If it's that big of a tank, I'm sure the pump is plenty big unless somebody screwed with it. If you've got the power to run it, go for it! That's a good price considering it's probably a cast pump and possibly a 3 stage design. There's a lot worse things than Ingersoll, too.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
So far what I have been told to look for with a tank this size is since its a 220V motor check and see if its a single phase motor to ensure it will run on a regular circuit. Next you want a two stage compressor for more efficient or quicker fill ups. If it says T30 on the pump it is a two stage. Also if it looks like a V-Twin it should be. Lastly look at it just like a used car. Check the oil. Look for rust. Their is a drain plug you can check for water also to make sure it has been mantained regularly.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Diesel Powered

Member`s Gallery
That's pretty good advice, but I'm not sure why you're looking in that tank size if you've only got single phase power. Generally speaking, when the tank size goes up, the HP usually goes up. Since you're talking about a "regular circuit," I highly doubt you have the proper setup to run more than about a 5hp unit. 5hp and 7.5hp are pretty common on 80gal tanks. When you jump to 120+gal, they're usually 10+hp and require some serious power (in the 3ph flavor.) You're right on the V design being a 2 stage pump, but they also come in an inline design (look for 2 pistons side by side with one being smaller than the other.) 3 stage is usually a V with another right up the middle.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
Ingersol definatly a good compressor 120 to 150 gallon thats a big unit. Do you need all that to run a "couple" air tools? No but if youv'e got the power to run it to much won't hurt ya
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Last edited by Knoberman; 01-11-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
The biggest thing I am looking at is that its practically brand new and costs the same as a decent 70-80 gallon tank. So if I can support it why not have the extra capacity for the possibility of sand blasting or what not later down the road. I dont really need it. At most I would be running several air tools at once but like I said. Why not go larger if its the same cost as the smaller ones. I just didnt know if it was in fact a good deal.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Powered View Post
That's pretty good advice, but I'm not sure why you're looking in that tank size if you've only got single phase power. Generally speaking, when the tank size goes up, the HP usually goes up. Since you're talking about a "regular circuit," I highly doubt you have the proper setup to run more than about a 5hp unit. 5hp and 7.5hp are pretty common on 80gal tanks. When you jump to 120+gal, they're usually 10+hp and require some serious power (in the 3ph flavor.) You're right on the V design being a 2 stage pump, but they also come in an inline design (look for 2 pistons side by side with one being smaller than the other.) 3 stage is usually a V with another right up the middle.
So it could be a two stage without being a V?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Diesel Powered

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97strokeonit View Post
The biggest thing I am looking at is that its practically brand new and costs the same as a decent 70-80 gallon tank. So if I can support it why not have the extra capacity for the possibility of sand blasting or what not later down the road. I dont really need it. At most I would be running several air tools at once but like I said. Why not go larger if its the same cost as the smaller ones. I just didnt know if it was in fact a good deal.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good deal if it still has the factory pump/motor specs and runs like you say it does. It's the support part that raises red flags. If you buy it and melt your breaker panel off the wall, please post pics.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Diesel Powered

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97strokeonit View Post
So it could be a two stage without being a V?
Yep! Mine is a 2 stage inline.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
97strokeonit

Member`s Gallery
hmmmm. Well I guess the only way to see is to go see it. lol

Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
deerefanatic

Name: deerefanatic
Title: Always learnin...
Member`s Gallery
Look at the motor data plate.. It will state the number of phases... That being said, if you use a die grinder hard, it takes one heck of a compressor to keep up.... Another is BIG impacts (3/4 and 1" drive units with 1/2 or 3/4 inch hoses). At the garage I used to work at, running the die grinder hard could keep two 5hp two stage compressors busy... So would the 3/4 impact...... If you were running both at different ends of the shop, well, good luck!

If it's single phase and you have $800 laying around, nab it! Just be prepared to run a 80 amp circuit and $6/ft wire to it when it's time to hook it up!

2006 Chevy 3500 CC Dually LBZ - Died again
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI - Best car I've ever owned
2004 Chevy 3500 8.1 - Gas hog
88 Chevy C3500 Cummins, RIP
84 Mercedes 300SD Diesel. Old reliable..
64 Oliver 1850 Cummins. 227hp, for now...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Yea depending on its size you may have some issues running it. Get the motor nameplate, check out your electrical service that is available.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
topstop

Name: topstop
Title: Diesel Fitter'
Member`s Gallery
I've had a Coleman magna force 70 gal two stage single phase 6.5 horse that I bought used like 10-12 years ago, it'll run just about anything you want to throw at it up to a 3/4 impact without any problems. Takes a little while to recover doing a set of 24.5" semi tires, but even then its not too bad. Hope this helps for reference...

Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
PRINCETON_JAKE

Name: PRINCETON_JAKE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Tank size isn't really the thing to look at. If it's that big of a tank, I'm sure the pump is plenty big unless somebody screwed with it. If you've got the power to run it, go for it! That's a good price considering it's probably a cast pump and possibly a 3 stage design. There's a lot worse things than Ingersoll, too.

True. When i bought mine there was a twin sylinder 80 gallon and the one i bought, which was a three cylinder 60 gallon, but more cfm ect. they were the same price too

Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Mine has no cylinders and an 80 gallon tank. It's 3 phase though. Just look at the tag on the motor. If you aren't having to go to far and youneed some larger wire, let me know. I still have a couple of the pulled wire sets from my other shop. Some were #6, some were #2(3 hots all the same size and 1 ground wire 1 size smaller per set).

RonA

Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Diesel Powered

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Mine has no cylinders and an 80 gallon tank. It's 3 phase though. Just look at the tag on the motor. If you aren't having to go to far and youneed some larger wire, let me know. I still have a couple of the pulled wire sets from my other shop. Some were #6, some were #2(3 hots all the same size and 1 ground wire 1 size smaller per set).

RonA

What kind of fun stuff are you running that requires a screw compressor?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What kind of fun stuff are you running that requires a screw compressor?
I have a small machine shop next to my house. 2 CNC mills, 1 CNC lathe, manual equipment, blast cabinet, etc. It's a Kaeser SM 11. Bought it 18 years ago.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Diesel Powered

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have a small machine shop next to my house. 2 CNC mills, 1 CNC lathe, manual equipment, blast cabinet, etc. It's a Kaeser SM 11. Bought it 18 years ago.
Ah, nice.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd like to have someone around close that I could learn some machining from.
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Closed Thread