Komatsu 12v 5.9 good for build??

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I have the opportunity to purchase a running/high our komatsu 5.9 12 motor. I was planning to use it for my motor build. It's an 07' model engine that was derated by the EPA to 94hp. I have a pic of the engine badge with serial # and other info. Just wanting to know if it is good to start a build with? Any info or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

I work on construction equipment for a living so I understand what your talking about. As far as I see it should be good, has a girdle on the bottom end as well. The only thing that sucks is the pump isn't that same as what you find in a dodge. I think they are what you call a A-pump but not sure honestly

The 07 Kawasaki I did a few months ago had a 6.7 6BT. There will be a few differences but it should be a good base to start with. Probably have to do a different pump setup on it other than that it should be like a normal 12V.

What was that engine in? I work at a Komatsu dealer and all of the 5.9's Ive seen were 24v's from early 2000's and up.

What was that engine in? I work at a Komatsu dealer and all of the 5.9's Ive seen were 24v's from early 2000's and up.

We had some 2000 and up Terex machines that still had 12V's in them but they had the electronic rotary pump which I believe was the VP44. Never got a good look to verify as they were gone all the time and sold them while I was over seas.

I don't know what exact machine it came out of. But I had a pic of the tag with serial numbers on it. I may have deleted it. It's a non-intercooled 12v.

I haven't given up on the 24v, just playing around for now.

Back