Redesigned!! Steed competition manifold vs Standard Steed

With the added velocity it should spool the charger quicker, the manifold on a hot street truck would do well.

Me thinks you guys are scrambling exhaust volume and velocity. I'm having trouble buying into the increase in velocity as well with a larger port diameter. For that matter an increase in spool with a larger port diameter and total exhaust manifold volume.

Not at all, comparing the old manifold with the older comp log style exhaust transition of the more common 90* turns of slowing exhaust impulse and adding pressure. Now with the new comp manifold the 90* is no longer there allowing the impulse to keep alot of its speed and exit faster, which has increased spool over the old comp from what they have seen with their testing. Scheid has purchased a few of the new style as well to test as they like the new design. I have one on the way to test and replace mine with. WE WILL SEE!!

Should have some great results i believe.

I got mine yesterday!
001-3.jpg

I got mine yesterday!

You are going to love the manifold. In testing the manifold scavenges on every cylinder. In other words, exhaust coming from any of the ports will create a major vacuum in the other two adjacent passages. Velocity at the flange is very high as all of the exhaust energy is getting to the turbo. Expect very good results!

BTW, Make sure you don't over torque the head bolts. You have to let the manifold grow and shrink independent of the head. You should get the manifold coated too. I'll be happy to do that no charge if you wish.

After half a dozen long conversations with Lean, I am glad to see that Lean took my suggestions to heart and actually produced this revised manifold. I told him it would be a huge hit for pullers.
Now to see how well it works!
Unfortunately I have the second revised manifold, brand new but installed, and I would not want to have to revise all of my wastegate and exhaust piping.
Darn!

Last edited:
You are going to love the manifold. In testing the manifold scavenges on every cylinder. In other words, exhaust coming from any of the ports will create a major vacuum in the other two adjacent passages. Velocity at the flange is very high as all of the exhaust energy is getting to the turbo. Expect very good results!

BTW, Make sure you don't over torque the head bolts. You have to let the manifold grow and shrink independent of the head. You should get the manifold coated too. I'll be happy to do that no charge if you wish.

What torque do you suggest to the head? Factory Stec ??

Also let us know how it does with the street trucks. I am thinking about adding this with my 69 and a spool valve

How does it scavenge when that entire area is under some level of drive pressure? I can mentally picture scavenging in an open-header type of situation, where atmospheric pressure is only present... but above that, I'm not seeing it.

How does it scavenge when that entire area is under some level of drive pressure? I can mentally picture scavenging in an open-header type of situation, where atmospheric pressure is only present... but above that, I'm not seeing it.

It scavenges because the exhaust pulses are traveling at a high rate of speed and as they pass the point where they meet the other passages they suck the gas out of the other passge in the same way an air brush sucks paint up to the top of the feed tube. I have tested the manifolds with a leaf blower and if you blow into any of the ports the other ports will suck a sheet of cardboard up against them and hold them there due to the vacuum created by the high speed air going through the other passage. This effect is seen on every cylinder on this manifold. You don't really want to use "pressure" to drive the turbo but rather you need to harness the kinetic energy of the fast moving exhaust.

It scavenges because the exhaust pulses are traveling at a high rate of speed and as they pass the point where they meet the other passages they suck the gas out of the other passge in the same way an air brush sucks paint up to the top of the feed tube. I have tested the manifolds with a leaf blower and if you blow into any of the ports the other ports will suck a sheet of cardboard up against them and hold them there due to the vacuum created by the high speed air going through the other passage. This effect is seen on every cylinder on this manifold. You don't really want to use "pressure" to drive the turbo but rather you need to harness the kinetic energy of the fast moving exhaust.

Let me ask a related, rhetorical question.... if you block the outlet of the manifold and any combination of the other ports to actually read gauge pressure, how can you then measure scavenging? (obviously not with a leaf blower and cardboard)

I'm a good ol' boy that does make do with limited tools in my garage - however, a claim that a turbo manifold scavenges simply from a 'blow-through' test at atmospheric pressure is absurd to me, and one that I would be wary of trying to stand behind if I were making the product.

It is obvious that the new design is an improvement over the previous iteration, stretching the turns out & whatnot are always improvements in stagnation and flow losses.

Let me ask a related, rhetorical question.... if you block the outlet of the manifold and any combination of the other ports to actually read gauge pressure, how can you then measure scavenging? (obviously not with a leaf blower and cardboard)

I'm a good ol' boy that does make do with limited tools in my garage - however, a claim that a turbo manifold scavenges simply from a 'blow-through' test at atmospheric pressure is absurd to me, and one that I would be wary of trying to stand behind if I were making the product.

It is obvious that the new design is an improvement over the previous iteration, stretching the turns out & whatnot are always improvements in stagnation and flow losses.

guys on here are always arguing about pressure (boost or drive).... if it flows better than the last manifold and the area stays the same or has been decreased it will run better PERIOD. just because air is under pressure doesnt mean its going to act any different...just means its going to act faster. if it scavenges at atmospheric pressure why wont it at 50 times that? if you could, explain how/why you think it will act different?

Dyno and race results are going to say all that you need to know about my methods. The manifolds can speak for themselves from here on.

Back