Turbo Choices for a 7.70 24 Valve

OldRusty2G

Hello all, I have been working on my 1999 Ram 2500 Cummins for a while and am getting ready to hopefully compete in ODSS's 7.70 index class. As the truck currently sits it has a SO VP44, 64.5/68/.80 with a ported wastegate and hot side, 7x0.012 SAC injectors, Hamilton 188/220 cam, ported and polished head (not sure on the flow numbers yet), and all the supporting engine modifications to let it live with compound turbos in the future. I will be purchasing a two stage nitrous oxide kit on the first with the intention to have the first stage be a 0.030" jet pre turbo to spool, with a large power shot between the turbo and intercooler as the second stage. My question is should I be looking at a larger charger like a S467.7 since I will have the nitrous to help me spool it. Future plans include a 13mm P7100 as well as a 488 to compound with whichever single I wind up using. The truck is currently using a NV4500 with 3.55s out back which I know isn't ideal but I don't want to commit to an auto swap quite yet because that's very expensive even doing the work myself.

I don't mean to be negative, but good luck with the nv4500 and trying to go quick.

Keep the turbo you have, and do a decent auto swap. You will be quicker than 7.70's.

Appreciate the response, I am well aware of the fact that I am shooting myself in the foot by keeping the NV4500 but for now I am well into putting together parts for the P7100 swap so an auto will probably have to wait. The cost of an Anteater as well as all the billet parts, manual VB, tripple disk TC, and the other parts to put together a transmission that will live in a drag truck is quite eye watering, makes the money for the P pump swap seem like small potatoes.

I think Jason hit it on the head. Auto swap sounds cheap compared to everything you mentioned.

100 agree with the auto swap. Running an anteater is great, but lots of mopar guys run just fine without them.

If funds are tight, do what makes sense first.

To run a 7.70 at 6500lbs I’m guessing it’s an ECSB you need 700hp at the flywheel.

I’ve read nearly the entire drag racing section here mostly for info on 7 second 1/8 rigs. Can’t recall one that was a 5 speed.

Appreciate the response, I am well aware of the fact that I am shooting myself in the foot by keeping the NV4500 but for now I am well into putting together parts for the P7100 swap so an auto will probably have to wait. The cost of an Anteater as well as all the billet parts, manual VB, tripple disk TC, and the other parts to put together a transmission that will live in a drag truck is quite eye watering, makes the money for the P pump swap seem like small potatoes.

If your going manual VB, an anteater isn't needed.

A stock auto, shift kit, billet input, and 3 disc conv is all you need to run mid to high 11's.

The auto swap is the way to go.

Jordan Blackard runs 7.70's all day long with a VP44 and a Quadzilla.

Second gens are light (relative to a third gen). A spool jet shouldn't be needed with your small charger.

You can build it however you want, from experience you may be going about it the difficult way.

64/68 should spool yesterday. Maybe he was talking about the 467 on the manifold as compounds.

Either way, some of the guys in here have been way faster than 7’s. They won’t steer you wrong.

NV4500 will grenade in short order. Probably 3rd gear or the rear housing. Agree 100% with going auto swap with MVB. Faster, more fun, and cheaper. Plus you will actually get to race instead of just going slow and grenading the manual trans.

Can't tell everyone here how grateful I am for the plethora of excellent advice, I think that I am definitely going about this the difficult way, and I just need to stop stalling and start seriously looking for a 47RE core to build. I have been toying with the idea of doing an auto swap for a while now and I think I just need to start building up parts and go ahead with it. Once again I appreciate the advice everyone has given!

You’re going to love it. I was always a die hard manual guy. Owned nearly 30 compared to 2 or 3 autos. There’s something about hitting a lockup switch and shifting. Almost like a dog ring manual haha clutch less shift.

5 speed trucks are fun for towing not rowing. Let us know how it goes.

Can't tell everyone here how grateful I am for the plethora of excellent advice, I think that I am definitely going about this the difficult way, and I just need to stop stalling and start seriously looking for a 47RE core to build. I have been toying with the idea of doing an auto swap for a while now and I think I just need to start building up parts and go ahead with it. Once again I appreciate the advice everyone has given!

I have a 4x4 47RE core in Jacksonville FL I'd sell. Message me if you are interested.

Back