Lighting

Highwayman

bored.
Stupid question probably, but my 36x40x16 "shop" has been in the carport stage since I started it 4 years ago.
That is, that it's just a roof. I've found that not having walls kinda sucks when you're trying to keep the wind from blowing down you, your lights, and anything else that isn't welded down.

When I did the wiring, I hung 4 2'x4' light fixtures in each of three bays from jack chain maybe 1' from the purlin. I did this like an upside down Y if it matters.

Well, shortly after, they started getting tossed around, flipped, etc. bending the links in the chain straight and occasionally making up to a 20' fall. (this tends not to be good on the LED tubes or my campers and trucks underneath, FYI)
So, I shortened the chain as short as possible ( ^ now) and it helped, but when there is 30+ mph gusts like there has been for 4 friggin months now, they still straighten the hooks.

:soap:

So... What's the way forward? I hung them like that to avoid shadows, but mostly stress on the purlin and screws holding the metal down. Should I just screw the fixtures to the purlin at an angle, use a different method to chain them, pull them down and use a head lamp or what?

Screw them directly to the truss/ purlins. Most floured lights are made to be mounted right down the middle. If that doesn't work you could put 2x across what ever you're trying to mount it on. Given the wind conditions you might want to do the latter to keep the light from twisting themselves to pieces

The best solution is to finish the walls..... :poke:

But, if that not a option, Ironmax has the solution to your problem. I agree, fasten them right to the trusses.

Back