Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Spent couple years looking... Cummins and cat where the popular Engine choice when cat made OTR Engines
When they're not making OTR Engines it's cummins/Detroit
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
One thing about detroit is the cores are getting expensive and a lot of the reman parts are garbage. Heads dropping valves, injector failure rates over 50%, and dont even bother with their exhaust manifold go with fulltilt. Some shops are rwbuilding their own heads and injectors.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
So now you're an expert in marine engines as well. Who knew one person could be so multifaceted?
He thinks anything yellow is garbage, also still thinks it hurt caterpillar when they stepped out of the truck engine market.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #24
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
Yeah, about the same. They follow about the same timeline too, 08-12 are the worst and then they got better but still not as good as the pre emissions stuff. Is the maxxforce 7 the same as the ford 6.4?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
they are the same design and physically quite similar however not all parts are interchangable. For instance the blocks are different, the turbo offerings/setup are different but the fuel systems, cam, crank, rods are all interchangable. The pistons in the maxxforce are a great upgrade for the six four guys due to the bowl design and the fact that six fours eat pistons for lunch.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #25
blackcloudCTD95

Name: blackcloudCTD95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
Yeah, about the same. They follow about the same timeline too, 08-12 are the worst and then they got better but still not as good as the pre emissions stuff. Is the maxxforce 7 the same as the ford 6.4?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
In my eyes yes, just has some different configured parts, same problems expensive to repair worse than a vt365 and a 6.0

Old 12-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #26
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
I don’t know much about heavy duty motors except the ones I used to deal with in the Army. I believe they were all D60 series, supercharged and turbocharged. They were dogs.

Anyway, as I’ve been looking at motorcoachs and toters I’ve found that Volvo’s have the highest resale value and freightliners with Cats or Cummins are less valuable and Mercedes seem to be the least valuable. Any thoughts?
I don't have exp on mercedes otr motors, but If they are anything like what's in boats (mtu) or the sprinters 2.5 and 3.0 they are expensive to fix and most you need mercedes software to work on them. I know a over haul on a mtu is about 20-30k more than a man, or cat

Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #27
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Or maybe because the trucks are all 15+ year old fleet trucks? They also have iron bodies that rust away. I did once a year oil changes on my old d12 and on the oil sample everything was low single digits except for iron would be in the teens. I havent heard any other engine coming close to that.

Also if its in a mack its not a d12

So why do Cat/Cummins powered trucks always sell higher if the others are superior? Why did you buy a Detroit if the D12 was amazing? Is everyone in on the scheme to artificially inflate the price of Cat/Cummins?

The Mack comment is referring to the fact after they got infected by the European stupidity they aren’t the trucks they once were.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #28
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
I have a few questions about motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
So now you're an expert in marine engines as well. Who knew one person could be so multifaceted?

He’s an internet expert on everything. Notice in all the years and all the forums he’s never once backed up any of his BS? Like his million HP L10 Cummins a friend of a friend of a friend owns.

He says how the Cat’s in Europe break cranks every 15min but when we point out how the euro engines here are chit like the Maxxforce. He claims how they are US spec and not the Euro versions. So I say the C18’s are euro spec and not US and get no response lmao.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 12-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #29
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
So why do Cat/Cummins powered trucks always sell higher if the others are superior? Why did you buy a Detroit if the D12 was amazing? Is everyone in on the scheme to artificially inflate the price of Cat/Cummins?

The Mack comment is referring to the fact after they got infected by the European stupidity they aren’t the trucks they once were.
I think you misspelled volvo when you said mack.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
The biggest issue with the motorcoaches we have come in the shop (CAT and Cummins) are lack of maintenance. They think that because the vehicle doesn't move, soft parts don't degrade.

We had a coach come in before Thanksgiving that shut down on the interstate. The primary fuel filter had been in place since 2005, and corroded to the point the case fell off of the media when the tech tried to remove it.

We sold Mercedes powered busses for a few years. 2008-2010. Expensive and complicated assemblies. Many of them scored blocks, and they are induction hardened so they are trash after failure unless you bore them.

Everyone makes trash engines at some point.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #31
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Youre asauming that your meteic is perfect and the market is perfect.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
How much so detroit and cat powered columbias go for? Also theres zero market for volvo engines for a glider. Even if someone wanted to put an engine in a glider theres many small details that would add up to a big PITA. Also nobody is familiar with them and theyre gutless. 63mm inducer gutless. I just said theyre reliable which they are. Rebuild costs are comparable to a detroit.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #33
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Everyone makes trash engines at some point.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Rarely work on coaches but last one we did split a coolant hose during the test drive. Really hard to vent that smell out of the bedroom. Lol

Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #34
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
I think you misspelled volvo when you said mack.

Na, Volvo’s are awesome! So awesome you can trade a riding mower for one if it’s full of gas. That’s why the container guys use them, the side skirts can easily be reattached with tarp straps.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #35
Feed Bunk

Name: Feed Bunk
Member`s Gallery
Who would devote the mental capacity to know what a Columbia sells for? To the original poster I haul cattle or pull an rgn daily whith a 3406 that's ten years older than I am. I wonder how the new x15 will be holding up in 35 years?

Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #36
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Serious question: I'm a western Dealer as of February, and already have two out front for sale. What is the take on the 2018 HD cummins and Detroit, failure points and routine failures? I'm sure I'll find out the brute force way, but any heads up is good.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #37
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
He’s an internet expert on everything. Notice in all the years and all the forums he’s never once backed up any of his BS? Like his million HP L10 Cummins a friend of a friend of a friend owns.

He says how the Cat’s in Europe break cranks every 15min but when we point out how the euro engines here are chit like the Maxxforce. He claims how they are US spec and not the Euro versions. So I say the C18’s are euro spec and not US and get no response lmao.
Euro emissions and specs are alot more lax than us euro guys even hate euro things

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #38
oilburner97

Name: oilburner97
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Detroit and Cat are most reliable.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #39
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner97 View Post
Detroit and Cat are most reliable.
Detroit and Cat don't belong in the same sentence. You dug this thread up to give that revelation?
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 03-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #40
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
There is nothing wrong with a 12.7 Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Closed Thread