Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #21
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
I would never recommend full cut delivery valves for a street driven engine. You cannot tune the smoke out with them and it's just plain irresponsible to smoke up the street anymore, especially with a young person driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
Duramax2006

Name: Duramax2006
Title: GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fondler View Post
you just sound ignorant. don't mean to offend you, i'm just telling you why it keeps coming up. no one here is grammatically perfect, but punctuation makes reading a post much easier.

this is compd, when people stop giving you crap, thats when you start to worry! lol

if you're set on anything more than 450hp, then you're right, pee pee pump it is. just realize the rest of the truck was built for 160hp, lol.

and DO NOT let your 12v idle for 30 minutes to an hour.
No offense taking just looking for valuble info not English lit 101

Yes that's my goal why not let the truck warm up from cold start and cool down below 300 on pyro? Just curious?

2002 Chevy LB7 Duramax 4x4, CCSB, DTS Built Allison, Some Fuel some air and other goodies

Special thanks (David_DTS) (Guy_Socal) (Nick_Dmaxtuner) (Tony_All Season) (John_Kennedy)

Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
The cool down's not the problem.

Due to the efficiency and cooling system of our engines will not allow the engine to warm up quickly enough from idling with no load. My truck doesn't build enough heat for the heater to be warm on a cold morning until I've driven about 10 miles. When chamber temps are below 250*-300* the fuel doesn't completely burn and will wash the oil from the cylinder walls. Once it's at operating temp idling is not an issue.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
Duramax2006

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post
I would never recommend full cut delivery valves for a street driven engine. You cannot tune the smoke out with them and it's just plain irresponsible to smoke up the street anymore, especially with a young person driving.

Definetly true however if I drive it I want to see smoke lol

2002 Chevy LB7 Duramax 4x4, CCSB, DTS Built Allison, Some Fuel some air and other goodies

Special thanks (David_DTS) (Guy_Socal) (Nick_Dmaxtuner) (Tony_All Season) (John_Kennedy)

Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Great. Douches like you that roll coal have contributed to the demise of our sport...

Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #26
Duramax2006

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
The cool down's not the problem.

Due to the efficiency and cooling system of our engines will not allow the engine to warm up quickly enough from idling with no load. My truck doesn't build enough heat for the heater to be warm on a cold morning until I've driven about 10 miles. When chamber temps are below 250*-300* the fuel doesn't completely burn and will wash the oil from the cylinder walls. Once it's at operating temp idling is not an issue.
Gotcha I still have a lot to learn that's where common rail vs mechnical injection is different I guess so at ot is oil coking an issue after long trips? If just shut right down like on st?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
Duramax2006

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Great. Douches like you that roll coal have contributed to the demise of our sport...
Try again not me Only on closed courses in mexico never on public roads in usa seems more like your screen name lends more toward demise hummmmm?

Last edited by Duramax2006; 08-19-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #28
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
I'm guessing on your meaning here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax2006 View Post
so at ot (Operating Temperature) is oil coking an issue after long trips? If just shut right down like on st(???)?
Coking will occur if you shut down before pre-turbo EGT's are over 300*-350* no matter how far you've driven. Let the truck idle before shut down until it cools below that.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 08-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #29
Duramax2006

Member`s Gallery
That's what I meant. I usually let my duramaxs warm up any where from 30min to an 1 hour on cold start in the morning and upon arrival to any where work, home, and related trips as well as family trips to north ga 5hours plus I let it cool to 250 or less before shut down. I was curious about the difference in the cummins platform I'm looking to start building with my son after purchasing it back. I see your point on the temps just curious as to why they don't warm up easier at idle makes since though they say the older trucks use load to heat up and cool down faster causing the inefficient burn. So my next question is are the .093 ss lines and 5x14 injectors going to be a hassle to tune? they want be to smokey on the street will they if I use a afc live on the p7100 to control fueling?

Last edited by Duramax2006; 08-20-2017 at 12:43 AM.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #30
badbowtie

Member`s Gallery
Those lines will cause nothing but problems on a street truck. They tend to crack, and you don't want bigger lines than you need. You lower your timing but installing those lines and gain nothing at the power level you are trying to build. 5x014 are probably one of the most widely used injector size around, a good set can be tuned quite clean on the street.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #31
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
I doubt you'll see 250* pre-turbo with the truck running before shut down. 300*-350* will be fine.

X2 on the lines. Stay with the stockers.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 AM   #32
Cummins12Club

Name: Cummins12Club
Title: Happy Dinosaur
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post

we've been doing iy for years with the truck previously mentioned. Best option? probably not but you can easily drive the 6600lb truck responsibly with very little haze.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #33
badbowtie

Member`s Gallery
With the comp cut valves available from places like Infinite Performance there is simply no reason to run a full cut delivery valve on the street, they flow enough to not hold a competition build back but still have a sealing shoulder to prevent the haze and smoke full cuts are notorious for. Many guys have found just like me ,better cleaner power can be had with smaller delivery valves and bigger high quality injectors. It reduces the pulse width of the injection event thus burning more fuel in cylinder.

Last edited by badbowtie; 08-21-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #34
ofelas

Name: ofelas
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sigh. Time for me to consider a P-Pump for anything more than 450, the old VE just isn't capable I guess.

Closed Thread