Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #19741
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Yeah I've seen those....maybe I haven't mess.with the electronics side of things enough to feel some what comfortable diving into on..

Grove City/Columbus is one and closest to me..
Mikes trucking in West jeff has alot of KWs With PX-13 with 4000rds Alisons both straight and truck tractor.. there nice on hard pack.. trans temp would shoot to 250° in soft ground at full weight when hauling stuff into a field.. they had a hard time keeping up with the 13/18sp trucks through the field.. always seamed like the autos needed more throttle to go same speed... When running 15-20mph.. ran several loads of b scrap from Cleveland to Middletown.. gov at 68 wasn't anything to write home about
My 454bbc passes them easily when loaded.. not as quickly as the 8.3/LMM

Pete is trying to compete with KW T440 with the 30" sleeper.. though poorly which frieghtliner and international MD trucks with more cab space

Can get a L9 with 450/1250 in the FIRE/EMS/MH/RV
Regular OTR is 370/1250

Basically get a quote see what's out there...what they are willing to do... Ive got a quote sitting here for a 2020 GM 6500HD both RC and CC with 2750RDS Alison in it~68/78k both 2wd

Next week should have new name on the side of my truck.. ~5yrs time for a change..
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor
Old 08-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #19742
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
What is the purpose of that truck?
haul media into areas your common 3-7axle straight trucks can't get into...
Little 3-4yd buckets small driveways Columbia gas has alot of those and a case 580 king backhoe loader on a trailer behind it
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #19743
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Yeah I've seen those....maybe I haven't mess.with the electronics side of things enough to feel some what comfortable diving into on..

Grove City/Columbus is one and closest to me..
Mikes trucking in West jeff has alot of KWs With PX-13 with 4000rds Alisons both straight and truck tractor.. there nice on hard pack.. trans temp would shoot to 250° in soft ground at full weight when hauling stuff into a field.. they had a hard time keeping up with the 13/18sp trucks through the field.. always seamed like the autos needed more throttle to go same speed... When running 15-20mph.. ran several loads of b scrap from Cleveland to Middletown.. gov at 68 wasn't anything to write home about
My 454bbc passes them easily when loaded.. not as quickly as the 8.3/LMM

Pete is trying to compete with KW T440 with the 30" sleeper.. though poorly which frieghtliner and international MD trucks with more cab space

Can get a L9 with 450/1250 in the FIRE/EMS/MH/RV
Regular OTR is 370/1250

Basically get a quote see what's out there...what they are willing to do... Ive got a quote sitting here for a 2020 GM 6500HD both RC and CC with 2750RDS Alison in it~68/78k both 2wd

Next week should have new name on the side of my truck.. ~5yrs time for a change..

How often you in a field, and if you are is this a real issue? I’m not an Allison fan for anything that sees mostly highway use. If your doing a lot of stop and go they’re great but shifting isn’t that hard. Don’t worry about the engine rating, hp is easy and almost all the parts are the same. Dealer will break one off in you for some special BS rating that is nothing more than a warranty charge and a 5min flash. In the same week we had a KW with an ISL and an 8LL and an ISC with an Allison and the ISL would easily wax the 8.3 even after added fuel. The 8.3 was in a junkliner and the radiator was a bit small compared to the KW.

I wouldn’t buy an IH at any price, and freightliners are easy to do dash work on since most of the screws are usually broken out. For anyone that says there isn’t a difference in quality hasn’t worked on many different brands. The only way IH could make their trucks any bigger of a POS would be to physically make them larger. Springfield plant has over 1000 red tagged trucks that can’t be shipped because of issues. Freightliner’s wiring is bad, expect harness issues. They put fuse panel under the hood facing up mounted to a steel plate that holds water. The green wiring goblin is a standard option with them. Greene county has several FL plow trucks and there is a reason they are having their fleet of older Pete’s completely refurbished with new rears, stainless beds.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #19744
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
What is the purpose of that truck?

Like Malibu said, short driveways and getting behind houses. Guy has a fleet of 6 axle dumps and that little truck is always busy and probably makes better money.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #19745
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
How often you in a field, and if you are is this a real issue? I’m not an Allison fan for anything that sees mostly highway use. If your doing a lot of stop and go they’re great but shifting isn’t that hard. Don’t worry about the engine rating, hp is easy and almost all the parts are the same. Dealer will break one off in you for some special BS rating that is nothing more than a warranty charge and a 5min flash. In the same week we had a KW with an ISL and an 8LL and an ISC with an Allison and the ISL would easily wax the 8.3 even after added fuel. The 8.3 was in a junkliner and the radiator was a bit small compared to the KW.

I wouldn’t buy an IH at any price, and freightliners are easy to do dash work on since most of the screws are usually broken out. For anyone that says there isn’t a difference in quality hasn’t worked on many different brands. The only way IH could make their trucks any bigger of a POS would be to physically make them larger. Springfield plant has over 1000 red tagged trucks that can’t be shipped because of issues. Freightliner’s wiring is bad, expect harness issues. They put fuse panel under the hood facing up mounted to a steel plate that holds water. The green wiring goblin is a standard option with them. Greene county has several FL plow trucks and there is a reason they are having their fleet of older Pete’s completely refurbished with new rears, stainless beds.
Company drivers drive company trucks and have little say if any how they're specd out...

I don't see me getting rid of either of my junkliners 60s any Time soon..

I had a '00 T300 ISC/super10 for couple weeks.. just uncomfortable with the cab layout.. sold it.

I totally expect an ISL/L9 to out run a C8.3/ISC especially with stock H1C/HX40 still on them lol..

I Know you'd rather see me get a full blown class 8 right? Lol
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
Old 08-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #19746
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Go classic, something like a needle nose Pete, or an R model Mack!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 02:49 AM   #19747
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Company drivers drive company trucks and have little say if any how they're specd out...

I don't see me getting rid of either of my junkliners 60s any Time soon..

I had a '00 T300 ISC/super10 for couple weeks.. just uncomfortable with the cab layout.. sold it.

I totally expect an ISL/L9 to out run a C8.3/ISC especially with stock H1C/HX40 still on them lol..

I Know you'd rather see me get a full blown class 8 right? Lol

Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest. However you need to start with something built in this decade, with parts that are still available. Odd ball parts increase downtime and costs.

My point of bringing up the ISL vs the ISC is you were worried about transmission ratios. Don’t ever replace HP with gears.

Na you can keep your little truck, it’s a market I don’t understand but to each their own. You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #19748
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Like Malibu said, short driveways and getting behind houses. Guy has a fleet of 6 axle dumps and that little truck is always busy and probably makes better money.
Interesting. I'm surprised they need such a heavy spec chassis for a dump that small. I wouldve thought a lighter front end would make turning easier and smaller tires would do less damage to the terrain. Bet they cant even get enough weight far enough forward to use up the capacity of the front axle with a wheelbase that short.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #19749
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest.
You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.
This right here is solid advice. Pretty much what I’m doing with my truck.
There are a lot of good trucks available in Ca right now.
I bought mine out of California because of its age. I’m going to have right at $30,000 in it (including the purchase price of the truck), and it’ll have new wheels, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, wheel seals, frame stretch, frame paint, car hauler front axle, car hauler rear suspension etc, etc. I’m not a big Freightliner fan, but for a truck that has enough hood you can actually get to the motor, a C15 Cat, 13 speed, and properly configured tanks, stacks, step boxes, I couldn’t turn it down.
Some days I get a little tired of building stuff, but if you want what you want, BUILD IT!

Last edited by bracker8040; 08-07-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #19750
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
I had a pic of a 379 single axle a friend drove. It was either on 19.5’s or super low pro 22.5’s and pulled an enclosed gooseneck. Had an 18spd and a C15, was a real tire fryer.

There used to be a Green W9 on truckpaper that was short single axle and had a C13 that I though would be fun to mod.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #19751
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
We own a 99 FL80 and a 2000 T800...same GVW, both single axle day cabs...Fit and finish is MILES ahead on the KW, and every bump you hot doesn't make the dash want to fall in our damn lap. NEVER again will there be a Freightliner product in my fleet. Same with IH since I have a buddy who works on 50 of them.

We just bought a new 6500HD for a Rollback, so far, very pleased. Power is good, but we're not heavy at all, and I love the big Allison in it. If you want to take a look at it, or drive it, it's here almost all the time.

If I was doing what you are Adam, I'd buy a big truck, with a real engine, and make it lighter. We got lucky as hell when we found a 33K GVW T800 with an N14

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #19752
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.
That's pretty sexy if you ask me. Kinda makes me want to light mine on fire and collect the insurance money.

As mentioned above, I'm also gonna need a gear change. Lots of RPM's lost going from the Detroit to the Cummins. Not sure how it will affect it, but the Detroit governed around 3300-3400 and might hit 65 mph downhill. Not sure if I can even keep up with traffic now. If anyone has rearend ration recommendations...I'm all ears. Gears 1 through 4 get me about 37 feet in the driveway.

It's a far cry from the pretty truck above.....but I paid $2500 for it and will have less than 10K in it when done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8531.jpg (547.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #19753
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
We own a 99 FL80 and a 2000 T800...same GVW, both single axle day cabs...Fit and finish is MILES ahead on the KW, and every bump you hot doesn't make the dash want to fall in our lap. NEVER again will there be a Freightliner product in my fleet. Same with IH since I have a buddy who works on 50 of them.

We just bought a new 6500HD for a Rollback, so far, very pleased. Power is good, but we're not heavy at all, and I love the big Allison in it. If you want to take a look at it, or drive it, it's here almost all the time.

If I was doing what you are Adam, I'd buy a big truck, with a real engine, and make it lighter. We got lucky as hell when we found a 33K GVW T800 with an N14

Chris

You’re about to make me nervous saying you’ll NEVER own another Freightliner.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #19754
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
That's pretty sexy if you ask me. Kinda makes me want to light mine on fire and collect the insurance money.

As mentioned above, I'm also gonna need a gear change. Lots of RPM's lost going from the Detroit to the Cummins. Not sure how it will affect it, but the Detroit governed around 3300-3400 and might hit 65 mph downhill. Not sure if I can even keep up with traffic now. If anyone has rearend ration recommendations...I'm all ears. Gears 1 through 4 get me about 37 feet in the driveway.

It's a far cry from the pretty truck above.....but I paid $2500 for it and will have less than 10K in it when done.

8.3L Cummins Transplant Test Drive - YouTube
Make sure you do some burnouts and donuts with that thing before you put the bed back on!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #19755
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Make sure you do some burnouts and donuts with that thing before you put the bed back on!
Damn right. Headed to OKC today to get an oil line made and fittings for the second compressor....since I neglected to put an oil feed on the first one because I'm stupid....and burned up a fresh reman'd compressor in about 7 minutes.

The plan is to mount a gooseneck ball in the frame as well. It will be nice to drop the bed and haul my tractor on the gooseneck with it. It will make my 1-ton last longer not hauling around that much weight. And it is pretty spunky as low geared as it is with all that weight off of it. I might not go over 45 mph but I can launch in 4th and get there in 3 seconds.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #19756
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
You’re about to make me nervous saying you’ll NEVER own another Freightliner.
It's no laughing matter Cost me literally 10's of thousands over the last few years.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #19757
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
It's no laughing matter Cost me literally 10's of thousands over the last few years.

Chris
What sort of issues?
Mine is an 01 Classic XL.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #19758
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
The M2 had constant ABS issues, which he didn't care about until the brake lights quit. Body Control Module. Air conditioner needed worked on every spring, more than a recharge, usually compressor or evaporator **** the bed over winter. The dash wanted to fall out in your lap every good bump we hit. Every axle seal leaked when we sold it, even after we fixed the rear, pretty sure the housing was starting to go. That's just the last 3 years.

The FL80 has been fairly reliable, except NOTHING works right in the cab. Tach/speedo quit years ago, have had 4 different shops try, none can fix them. A/C controls are junk, can't use the knobs to control anything, have to take the dash apart to move the mode door, get out an open hood to adjust heater valve, etc. The dash actually did fall out of that one, but luckily the steering column caught it.

They're just trash. We've had a 2004 KW T800 since new, and he haven't had the first issue out of the interior except some mouse damage. We have a mouse we can't evict The 2000 T800 we just bought is just as solid, but we did have to replace a couple of switches in the cab when we bought it, some lights weren't working. We've had Pete's with over 1.5m on them too, and haven't had near the issues like the other trash.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #19759
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest. However you need to start with something built in this decade, with parts that are still available. Odd ball parts increase downtime and costs.

My point of bringing up the ISL vs the ISC is you were worried about transmission ratios. Don’t ever replace HP with gears.

Na you can keep your little truck, it’s a market I don’t understand but to each their own. You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.
I wasn't trying to imply I was replacing HP for gears.. I was pointing out known issues with gear splits/shift points that happen at common road speeds.. I've had this problem with company trucks when I was a company driver along as being an O/O
25-30% jump in a gear shift creates a problem.. more so if it happens at speeds above 50.. rolling heavy or high sail scream the engine in the lower gear or lug the crap out of it in the higher gear..

Take 3.58 gears 36" tires 55mph in 4th (direct drive) is ~1800rpm.. 5th is usually .75-.70 for Allison 3000.. puts 55mph at 1300-1400rpm.. truck gets slowed down for whatever hills, traffic, Sunday driver.. now the truck is hunting between 4th locked, unlocked 5th and locked up 5th gear.. and results it throws mpg out the window..been there done that..

It's exact problem I had with the 1000series in my 07 Chevy.. had a 30% jump between 4/5 shift.. I band-aid the problem by moving the shift point to left to happen at 45mph by putting shorter gears in the diff at cost to be able to run 75 and up out west..
On a 13spd with 3.58
12th is .86 1600@55
13th is .73 1400@55
With 13sp I can run longer legs in the diff and slow driveshaft speeds down. Like 3.21-3.31
One doesnt have this problem

Attached is the graph for a 450/1250 L9 rated at 1250 at 1400-1500rpm..

6th gear on a 3000rds is .65:1(wrong on previous post)
3.90 puts 4/5 shift around 45-50 and 70 1650
3.73 puts 4/5 shift around 50-55 and 70 1590
3.58 puts 4/5 shift around 55-60 and 70 1500

One Has to wind out 4th gear to 1800-1900rpm to catch 5th gear above 1400rpm or you just slow back down and downshift back into 4th with the Allison..

With the Allison its a 500-600rpm drop on 4/5 shift pending 5th ratio option... on a 13sp it's 250rpm drop from 11/12(direct to 1st OD) and I'm running lower gear to ~1700 vs ~1900 with the Allison, to catch next gear by 1400rpm

To me less time spent below/above peak TQ the more efficient the setup will be..

While back I ran across a guy with a M2-106 ISL9/3000 with 3.90 gears 255/70/22.5 tires with 350hp.. 5th gear was too steep to run up jelico grade at 50k which forced him to play elephant races at ~40-45mph.. best tank mpg he was low 7mpg.. avg mid 6
worse tank mpg I got was 6.9mpg, best was 11.2mpg avg mid 9mpg with a worn out mechanical 8.3.. got less that 8k on the rebuild before I parked the truck. I was avg high 9s with it..

I'm assuming you've seen rpm to speed charts for transmissions? This basically all I'm doing.

Those day cab single axle truck out of CA would be nice starting point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190807_093632574.jpg (250.3 KB, 0 views)
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #19760
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Apparently this did post with other posts

Jory..
What trans and tire size is in/on it and how fast you want to run? Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190807_081603555.jpg (174.1 KB, 0 views)
99 FL60 mutt
Quote: