Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Muncie

Name: Muncie
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Turbo noise? Boost Leak?

Hey guys I am new to the forum and so far everyone seems real nice and informative. I was turned to comp D by a good buddy of mine and said you guys are full of knowledge and not criticism like you will find on facebook. So first off I want to thank you in advance for helping me troubleshoot my problem i am having. At 22 lbs boost there is a very defined screech and i can controll the noise with my pedal. I have after market intercooler boots and intercooler and cant seem to pinpoint this noise. I have a video of it happening but not sure how to post it.I do have a leaking T3 gasket were turbo mounts to manifold but my buddy has the same leak with no noise. Thank you in advance and if i can find out how to post video i will do so.
2002 CCSB F250 w/12V 160 HP Ppump cummins. 5x14 injectors, AFC LIVE, Oringed, Headstuds, 60# Valve springs, 4k GS, BD intercooler, Diesel Power Source Twin turbos ( 62/71/12 over S480), Air dog 165, built 4R100

Old 04-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have the same thing on my non-intercooled 12 valve and don't exactly have a great idea for troubleshooting. I'm down to either plugging the exhaust and trying to pressurize the intake up to 30 psi to look for leaks, dusting the intake with some sort of just-sticky-enough flour stuff to try to see where the blow off is occurring, or sticking a GoPro under the hood to see if I can't discern its secrets.

In my case I was able to fix the biggest leak which was causing a the real bad siren noise above 6 psi, and now I just have a slightly scream above 17 psi. But if I get up to 25 psi I lose all boost pressure immediately to a big "whoosh" sound, but am then able to rebuild pressure normally immediately afterwards.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Muncie

Member`s Gallery
Here is a link to my youtube channel were I was able to upload a video of the problem child.

Twin Turbo Fummins Screech? - YouTube
2002 CCSB F250 w/12V 160 HP Ppump cummins. 5x14 injectors, AFC LIVE, Oringed, Headstuds, 60# Valve springs, 4k GS, BD intercooler, Diesel Power Source Twin turbos ( 62/71/12 over S480), Air dog 165, built 4R100

Old 04-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
If you have an exhaust leak I can about guarantee you that is the noise. We see it all of the time on the big trucks. It is like a reed in an instrument.

North American Turbo

Old 04-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
We've been able to find those noisy, yet invisible exhaust leaks in the dark. You can shut all the lights of in the garage, or outside at night.
Use a nice bright flash light and have someone rev the engine while you concentrate a light around the manifold. Look for smoke. You may not hear the noise while there is no load, but you will see the leak.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
Muncie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
If you have an exhaust leak I can about guarantee you that is the noise. We see it all of the time on the big trucks. It is like a reed in an instrument.
Thank you so much zfaylor I greatly appreciate your knowledge and input. I bought these turbos as a kit off of Diesel power source and haven't been to impressed. They sold them with crush gaskets but they didnt hold at all. I will switch to the layered ones on my T3 and T6 and once thats done I will report back. I already replaced manifold gaskets with the layered ones and appears to be sealed up pretty tight at the manifold. Thanks again!!!!

Old 04-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Muncie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
We've been able to find those noisy, yet invisible exhaust leaks in the dark. You can shut all the lights of in the garage, or outside at night.
Use a nice bright flash light and have someone rev the engine while you concentrate a light around the manifold. Look for smoke. You may not hear the noise while there is no load, but you will see the leak.
Thanks Snedge that sounds like an amazing tip!! I will be sure to try that trick out and that sure will save me some headache. I appreciate the advice buddy.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
Muncie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
I have the same thing on my non-intercooled 12 valve and don't exactly have a great idea for troubleshooting. I'm down to either plugging the exhaust and trying to pressurize the intake up to 30 psi to look for leaks, dusting the intake with some sort of just-sticky-enough flour stuff to try to see where the blow off is occurring, or sticking a GoPro under the hood to see if I can't discern its secrets.

In my case I was able to fix the biggest leak which was causing a the real bad siren noise above 6 psi, and now I just have a slightly scream above 17 psi. But if I get up to 25 psi I lose all boost pressure immediately to a big "whoosh" sound, but am then able to rebuild pressure normally immediately afterwards.
Well Begle1 there are some really intelligent people on here, some have commented already, I have no doubt that we will both come to a resolution we just cant give up lol

Old 04-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie View Post
Thanks Snedge that sounds like an amazing tip!! I will be sure to try that trick out and that sure will save me some headache. I appreciate the advice buddy.
That's why we are here Muncie. Good luck with the search.

Also, there is a way to multi quote folks in one post. Use the plus button on any posts you'd like to quote in a reply, but on the last, hit quote. They will all appear in a single post for your replies. Not a big deal, but it saves time for you, and space on the site.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
Destroked 450

Name: Destroked 450
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Fix the exhaust leak but also check the intake bolts, another member found some loose that was causing a issue on his.

Closed Thread