Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Blake Wally

Name: Blake Wally
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
New to the mechanical realm!

Hey guys first time poster here. Have a couple questions about my truck. Im new to the mechanical world. Im trying to check the current timing in the pump and I've tried to find the info that im looking for. I've inserted the dial indicator into the delivery valve holder. Once i am at tdc i move the engine cc until the dial indicator drops. When i move it back to tdc ive calculated that i got 8.5 mm of lift. Which is a ridiculous number when referencing the lift chart. My question is do i convert the 8.8mm to degrees and that tells me what the pump is at currently or do i pin the pump first since it is advanced a tad then bring it to tdc and check the plunger lift? I was at it for awhile last night and was confused on why i was getting 8.5 mm. Any insight will help please. The pump is a 215 pump also.
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Old 02-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
How did you find tdc?

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Wally View Post
Hey guys first time poster here. Have a couple questions about my truck. Im new to the mechanical world. Im trying to check the current timing in the pump and I've tried to find the info that im looking for. I've inserted the dial indicator into the delivery valve holder. Once i am at tdc i move the engine cc until the dial indicator drops. When i move it back to tdc ive calculated that i got 8.5 mm of lift. Which is a ridiculous number when referencing the lift chart. My question is do i convert the 8.8mm to degrees and that tells me what the pump is at currently or do i pin the pump first since it is advanced a tad then bring it to tdc and check the plunger lift? I was at it for awhile last night and was confused on why i was getting 8.5 mm. Any insight will help please. The pump is a 215 pump also.
You roll the engine from tdc counter clockwise till the dial indicator stops moving. Zero the indicator and then roll the engine clockwise back to tdc. Read the indictor. Every full rotation on the indicator is normally 2mm unless your indicator is in thousandths.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Last edited by DISTURBED; 02-05-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Blake Wally

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
How did you find tdc?
I used the valve drop method.
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Old 02-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Blake Wally

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
You roll the engine from tdc counter clockwise till the dial indicator stops moving. Zero the indicator and then roll the engine clockwise back to tdc. Read the indictor. Every full rotation on the indicator is normally 2mm unless your indicator is in thousandths.
Thats what i did and i ended up going from 5 0 to 13.5mm. Idk if im missing something or what man. I got a very good grasp on what i need to do it just doesnt make sense to me. Unless the pump is really at that timing but for me its hard to believe.
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Old 02-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Give up on plunger measurement.

Make an absolute TDC Mark on the balancer, then pin the pump. Assuming its still pin timed stock being a 215 pump, you can assume that's 12 to 13* or close.

Then advance or change timing from there, measuring the degrees off the balancer.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
When I said stock 215 pump, even if its had the timing advanced already, I bet it's still "pin timed" at around 12*.

Then base your tdc on the balancer from there.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
Blake Wally

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Give up on plunger measurement.

Make an absolute TDC Mark on the balancer, then pin the pump. Assuming its still pin timed stock being a 215 pump, you can assume that's 12 to 13* or close.

Then advance or change timing from there, measuring the degrees off the balancer.
Thats gonna be my plan i think Jason, that way i know what the timings at. I have a tdc mark i made already. Thank you all for the responses. What would be a good start for timing on a 24 ppump? Its got a 66 on it.
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Old 02-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Blake Wally

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
When I said stock 215 pump, even if its had the timing advanced already, I bet it's still "pin timed" at around 12*.

Then base your tdc on the balancer from there.
Also its just a street truck i like to have fun with on the weekend, i just want to make some good power with. Who or where do you recommend getting a degree wheel? I seen power driven diesel has one
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Old 02-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
You can print one off from your computer if you want to get it done. 18 to 20 degrees

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Blake Wally

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
You can print one off from your computer if you want to get it done. 18 to 20 degrees
Awesome. Appreciate it guys!
66\71 turbo
7x10.5 sticks

Closed Thread