Turbo noise? Boost Leak?

Muncie

Hey guys I am new to the forum and so far everyone seems real nice and informative. I was turned to comp D by a good buddy of mine and said you guys are full of knowledge and not criticism like you will find on facebook. So first off I want to thank you in advance for helping me troubleshoot my problem i am having. At 22 lbs boost there is a very defined screech and i can controll the noise with my pedal. I have after market intercooler boots and intercooler and cant seem to pinpoint this noise. I have a video of it happening but not sure how to post it.I do have a leaking T3 gasket were turbo mounts to manifold but my buddy has the same leak with no noise. Thank you in advance and if i can find out how to post video i will do so.

I have the same thing on my non-intercooled 12 valve and don't exactly have a great idea for troubleshooting. I'm down to either plugging the exhaust and trying to pressurize the intake up to 30 psi to look for leaks, dusting the intake with some sort of just-sticky-enough flour stuff to try to see where the blow off is occurring, or sticking a GoPro under the hood to see if I can't discern its secrets.

In my case I was able to fix the biggest leak which was causing a the real bad siren noise above 6 psi, and now I just have a slightly scream above 17 psi. But if I get up to 25 psi I lose all boost pressure immediately to a big "whoosh" sound, but am then able to rebuild pressure normally immediately afterwards.

If you have an exhaust leak I can about guarantee you that is the noise. We see it all of the time on the big trucks. It is like a reed in an instrument.

We've been able to find those noisy, yet invisible exhaust leaks in the dark. You can shut all the lights of in the garage, or outside at night.
Use a nice bright flash light and have someone rev the engine while you concentrate a light around the manifold. Look for smoke. You may not hear the noise while there is no load, but you will see the leak.

If you have an exhaust leak I can about guarantee you that is the noise. We see it all of the time on the big trucks. It is like a reed in an instrument.

Thank you so much zfaylor I greatly appreciate your knowledge and input. I bought these turbos as a kit off of Diesel power source and haven't been to impressed. They sold them with crush gaskets but they didnt hold at all. I will switch to the layered ones on my T3 and T6 and once thats done I will report back. I already replaced manifold gaskets with the layered ones and appears to be sealed up pretty tight at the manifold. Thanks again!!!!

We've been able to find those noisy, yet invisible exhaust leaks in the dark. You can shut all the lights of in the garage, or outside at night.
Use a nice bright flash light and have someone rev the engine while you concentrate a light around the manifold. Look for smoke. You may not hear the noise while there is no load, but you will see the leak.

Thanks Snedge that sounds like an amazing tip!! I will be sure to try that trick out and that sure will save me some headache. I appreciate the advice buddy.

I have the same thing on my non-intercooled 12 valve and don't exactly have a great idea for troubleshooting. I'm down to either plugging the exhaust and trying to pressurize the intake up to 30 psi to look for leaks, dusting the intake with some sort of just-sticky-enough flour stuff to try to see where the blow off is occurring, or sticking a GoPro under the hood to see if I can't discern its secrets.

In my case I was able to fix the biggest leak which was causing a the real bad siren noise above 6 psi, and now I just have a slightly scream above 17 psi. But if I get up to 25 psi I lose all boost pressure immediately to a big "whoosh" sound, but am then able to rebuild pressure normally immediately afterwards.

Well Begle1 there are some really intelligent people on here, some have commented already, I have no doubt that we will both come to a resolution we just cant give up lol

Thanks Snedge that sounds like an amazing tip!! I will be sure to try that trick out and that sure will save me some headache. I appreciate the advice buddy.

That's why we are here Muncie. Good luck with the search.

Also, there is a way to multi quote folks in one post. Use the plus button on any posts you'd like to quote in a reply, but on the last, hit quote. They will all appear in a single post for your replies. Not a big deal, but it saves time for you, and space on the site. :Cheer:

Back