What head gasket are you guys running with your o rings?

chris p

Hey guys, just got the motor back from the machine shop and went to put the HG clevite Mahle 54174)on last night and a few of the water jacket ports dont line up quite right or in one case are blocked off completely. I compared it to a stock HG that came with my gasket set and the stockers got the holes. Looked up the pn for the clevite HG and it says its for a 98.5-02. Do they make a clevite HG for an o3 or should i just run this one how it is or modify it? What HGs are you guys running and how are they holding up?

I think the major problem here is you're trying to put a standard gasket in place of an MLS gasket. 03+ Common Rail engines use MLS gaskets, and should be replaced as such. Also, because of the MLS gasket, surfaces machined should be sure to have the correct finish required by MLS gaskets.

Besides that, genuine cummins is all you should use.

I think the major problem here is you're trying to put a standard gasket in place of an MLS gasket. 03+ Common Rail engines use MLS gaskets, and should be replaced as such. Also, because of the MLS gasket, surfaces machined should be sure to have the correct finish required by MLS gaskets.

Besides that, genuine cummins is all you should use.

What he said... Machine marks need to stay visible on the surfaces, if it's polished shiny it will have more potential to leak

Has anyone tried a thicker copper head gasket on these? I know that with my O-ringed gas engine that the rings set into the copper better and hold like crazy in a 35psi high comp gas engine.

I personally think nobody is going to reinvent the wheel here. If there was something better, the big boys would probably already be using it.

Get a hold of Jeff( Snedge), he has the modified gasket for the 03 and up trucks, it's what I run with my o-ringed head. Never a problem.

Back