Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
rollinsmoke

Name: rollinsmoke
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Fass Pump

Never had a fass before wonderin' if I should get one, but my question is does it do away with the stock filter and all the other junk banjo's and go straight from the tank to the injecton pump?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
yes if you buy the system it will do away with everything from the filter,main fuel line and banjo bolts!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
I guess you gut the pump as well?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
B.A.Ram

Name: B.A.Ram
Title: A Big Deal
Member`s Gallery
Basically. You plumb into your tank, run that into the FASS, and through the FASS you go straight to the VP. You have a low pressure return line from the FASS back into the tank from the separation process I believe. You lose the stock lift pump and the stock fuel filter canister. You lose the water in fuel light but if you drain your fuel filter on the FASS every once in a while you should be good. The FASS is a great investment.

2016 Lexus G-Ride

Old 01-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
DieselLady

Name: DieselLady
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/airdog.html
Or you can do the Air Dog for a lot less $$. Comes with 1/2" diam fuel lines instead of 3/8, fittings on all connections instead of hose clamps and is much easier to install. JMO
This truck ROCKS now!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
B.A.Ram

Name: B.A.Ram
Title: A Big Deal
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLady
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/airdog.html
Or you can do the Air Dog for a lot less $$. Comes with 1/2" diam fuel lines instead of 3/8, fittings on all connections instead of hose clamps and is much easier to install. JMO
The FASS has push-locs, not hose clamps and only takes about 20 minutes to install...and 1/2" is a little overkill unless you're looking for BIG horsepower. IMO you can't beat the customer service of FASS, you have a problem and they fix it, no questions asked.

2016 Lexus G-Ride

Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
DieselLady

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
The FASS has push-locs, not hose clamps and only takes about 20 minutes to install...and 1/2" is a little overkill unless you're looking for BIG horsepower. IMO you can't beat the customer service of FASS, you have a problem and they fix it, no questions asked.
That has not been my experience. Got a bad pump from the beginning and they argued about replacing it. Cost me $40 in shipping. The FASS has hose clamps on the return to the tank. Push locs which attach directly to the pump, so if you need to remove it, you have to cut the hose off. I have one and have had to remove it before so I am aware of how it goes together. This is just my opinion, and experience. I have the Air Dog too and found it to be much easier to install. No need to drill the frame. Comes with a much sturdier mounting bracket that clamps onto the frame instead of drilling to it.
So whats wrong with overkill for less money?
This truck ROCKS now!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
tony597fitter

Name: tony597fitter
Title: Tax Payer
Member`s Gallery
AirDog (pureflow technologies) is the originator of the aftermarket pumps.
His son went opposite ways and started FASS.

I have read and heard that the AirDog uses a far superior pump.
If it was me I would go with the AirDog. Its cheaper and a better product.
It is also easier to find filters for it. You can get them at your local NAPA.

I have also read on other forums that FASS has horrible customer service.
This is only what I have heard and read.

Proud to be a UNION Pipe Fitter Local 597 Chicago.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
BigNasty4x4

Name: BigNasty4x4
Title: The Big Nasty life....
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony597fitter
It is also easier to find filters for it. You can get them at your local NAPA.

I have also read on other forums that FASS has horrible customer service.
This is only what I have heard and read.
These statements are both false. I've had no problem with my FASS, or with customer service. It works flawlessly and the kit is very easy to install. The 150 pumps filters are cross referenced in the instruction manual to at least 15 filters including numerous Fleetguard filters. and I do believe thet FASS is working with Fleetguard to cross reference filters for the 95 pumps.

1997 Ram 2500 12v CTD NV4500
DDP4's, HTT Quick Diesel 64/14, 4kGSK, SBC 3850DD

Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
tony597fitter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNasty4x4
These statements are both false. I've had no problem with my FASS, or with customer service. It works flawlessly and the kit is very easy to install. The 150 pumps filters are cross referenced in the instruction manual to at least 15 filters including numerous Fleetguard filters. and I do believe thet FASS is working with Fleetguard to cross reference filters for the 95 pumps.

OK if you say so.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
DieselLady

Member`s Gallery
What he said!!! My experience has been not just horrible customer service, but NO customer service at all. You can say it isn"t true if you want, but I went through it. Or the lack of it. I believe at the time I used the terms, "Argumentative" and "Arrogant". That pretty well sums it up for me. And if your pump worked flawlessly from the start, you wouldn't have had any opportunity to find out what there customer NO service is like anyway. You never really know what a company is like until you have a problem with their product.
This truck ROCKS now!!!

Last edited by DieselLady; 01-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Jcummins

Name: Jcummins
Title: $4/gal. Waa?
Member`s Gallery
If you buy the full system with the filters it goes straight to the injection pump. If you just get the pump you go to the stock filter housing.
From the looks of your sig., I would go with the full system.

The FASS has been around these Dodges for a long time. They know what works and have a great product. I have one and love it. With the VP44, I find it comforting to hear the scream of the lift pump. They are loud.
With that said, the AD systems are almost identical, made as said before, by the father of the FASS owner.
I work for a shop that has used the FASS on Dodges since the begining. We have only had one fail in many years. Not saying it's better than the AD, just that is what has been my expirience.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
tony597fitter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcummins
If you buy the full system with the filters it goes straight to the injection pump. If you just get the pump you go to the stock filter housing.
From the looks of your sig., I would go with the full system.

The FASS has been around these Dodges for a long time. They know what works and have a great product. I have one and love it. With the VP44, I find it comforting to hear the scream of the lift pump. They are loud.
With that said, the AD systems are almost identical, made as said before, by the father of the FASS owner.
I work for a shop that has used the FASS on Dodges since the begining. We have only had one fail in many years. Not saying it's better than the AD, just that is what has been my expirience.
AirDog (PureFlow technologies) was making them long before FASS. FASS is just a copy.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
rollinsmoke

Name: rollinsmoke
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I didn't wanna start a big ole' war on here, but it's alotta money and just wanted to make sure that is the route I should go. Right now with my holley it's about 24 idle and I can drag it down to about 3 PSI W.O.T and I know them little lines are hurtin' me

Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
Jcummins

Name: Jcummins
Title: $4/gal. Waa?
Member`s Gallery
Wait a minute. AD was making pumps yes, but for big rigs, right. FASS went after the Dodge, and smaller diesel crowd were he saw a nitch in the market.

I don't like saying things like this with out completly knowing both sides of the story. But from the info. that I have heard about the fued between AD and FASS, I don't think I could buy a pump from a guy that sued his own son.
Agian, I don't have all my facts, but there is very bad blood between the two.

Never heard of AD until about 3-4 months ago. Sooooo who is copying who?
AD or Purflow never made pumps for the small diesel until recently. FASS has been the first VP upgrade for years.

Both pumps are good. Both have a great history of reliability. The FASS was practicaly made for your truck. It was created for the purpose of saving your VP. AD has done thier homework and made a very competitive product.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
DieselLady

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcummins
Wait a minute. AD was making pumps yes, but for big rigs, right. FASS went after the Dodge, and smaller diesel crowd were he saw a nitch in the market.

I don't like saying things like this with out completly knowing both sides of the story. But from the info. that I have heard about the fued between AD and FASS, I don't think I could buy a pump from a guy that sued his own son.
Agian, I don't have all my facts, but there is very bad blood between the two.

Never heard of AD until about 3-4 months ago. Sooooo who is copying who?
AD or Purflow never made pumps for the small diesel until recently. FASS has been the first VP upgrade for years.

Both pumps are good. Both have a great history of reliability. The FASS was practicaly made for your truck. It was created for the purpose of saving your VP. AD has done thier homework and made a very competitive product.
AD has been around for a long time. I have had one on my older truck for years. Ad did not Copy Fass, on the contrary. I for one, have a hard time buying from a guy who would "Borrow" a Patent from his own Dad!
This truck ROCKS now!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
53 willys

Name: 53 willys
Title: Diesel Dirt Head
Member`s Gallery
Decide for your self you copied who...
Click the image to open in full size.
size comparison....
Click the image to open in full size.

do your homework and decide for your self.....

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
Argument aside....I've had awesome customer service from FASS. Diesel-Dan even met near my house to bring me a new pump(old pump worked fine, but there was a warranty upgrade) He also helped me wrench on my truck on a Saturday in 30 degree weather in a gravel parking lot! I've called him personally and he has helped me alot...Not saying the Airdog is better or worse, personally I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I already have a FASS and I love it, great product with great customer service.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ive been hearing daddys system is better these days!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLady
What he said!!! My experience has been not just horrible customer service, but NO customer service at all. You can say it isn"t true if you want, but I went through it. Or the lack of it. I believe at the time I used the terms, "Argumentative" and "Arrogant". That pretty well sums it up for me. And if your pump worked flawlessly from the start, you wouldn't have had any opportunity to find out what there customer NO service is like anyway. You never really know what a company is like until you have a problem with their product.

Sounds like Industrial Injection! They suck!

Closed Thread