Droan ?

UNBROKEN

Ezekiel 25:17
I'm gonna go back to a 5" exhaust for my CR swap....but I'd like it straight piped.
How bad is the droan with a Cummins?
I know it sucked with the 6.0 with a straight 5"....never paid attention to a straight 5" CTD though.

Any opinions?

With my '02 (maybe wrong forum here, but BTW) I have a bad one at 1800 RPM in 6th gear unloaded. Loaded with about #10,000 my drone moves to 2300 RPM in 5th gear and goes away after I shift. I have a HX40 style down pipe into open 5" all the way. The drone is LOUD!!!!!

Richard-
single or dual exhaust?

I think you should slap a resonator on, and then if it is too bad, take off the resonator and put a high flow muffler.

I know your 6.0 sounded sweet....

I don't know about the CR, but with twins on my old 12v's, the drone with a 5" straight pipe is almost gone...towing is when you'll notice it, unless you cruise around over 2K RPM.

In a CR, I think the drone is moved a bit lower in the RPM range, maybe 1900-2000RPM...either way, the twins should almost eliminate it. If not a resonator will, and still give it a good rumble/whistle!

Chris

I didn't even think about the twins quitening things down.
I just wanna get it right the first time since the whole system will be Jet-Hot coated once it's fabbed up.

I have a 5" flowpro system on mine with the muffler and it sounds really good. It's not real loud cruising but when you romp on it they know your coming! It is also very resonable prive wise.

Like I said...on my 12v's, I can't wait to run twins again just for the sound if nothing else:D I can't tell you exactly what the CR will do, but I would think you'll be able to live with it very easily. If you wanna play it safe though, throw a resonator on there and be done with it.
Come to think of it, I think I still have a new one here that I never installed:D

Have you done any sound deadening in the cab? That always helps somewhat!
Chris

My 24 valve drones like hell at 1600-1800 just driving
2200-2500 will bust your damn ears when you are flogging it

Twins will quiet it down quite a bit. I wouldn't think twice about straight piping a CR with twins, but a straight-pipe single 'charger CR is kinda annoying after awhile.

i have a customers truck thats straight piped 4" to duel 7" stacks and that thing is loud, really loud. the droan is horrible, but it is the nastiest sounding truck around.

i have a 5" straight pipeed exhaust on the NGM truck now and it was very loud too, but it was way less annoying than the stacked truck. my suggestion is to put a resonator on there and you should like it.

if your going with twins, I say slap a resonator on it and call it done. if you want louder, take the resonator off

UNBROKEN said:
250 sqft of Dynamat Extreme in the cab for the stereo system.

That'll work:evil I still think you'll be fine with a straight pipe, but if you only want to do it once, play it safe and throw a resonator on!

Chris

A cr with twins and straight pipe is one of the best sounding set ups I have heard I think Rich you will be quite happy with the sound and droan in the cab shouldnt be an issue.

twins sound great straight piped and single has a big droan ,but it also depends on your charger choice....

Rich, with mine it droaned bad with a 4 inch so i put on a magnaflow muffler. After the twins i went 5 inch to 4 inch duals and it was so quiet i had to take the muffler off, thats with twins though, big turbo is a muffler!

Back