12 valve won't turn off

RD TRCTR

Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Tried using the search function to no avail.

When I got home yesterday I was not able to turn the truck off with the key. The engine stays running when the key is turned to the off position. When the key is turned back to on, the engine idle rpm will decrease a bit and then go back to the typical idle speed.

The only way that I have found to turn the truck off is to stall it with a side step of the clutch.

It's a 1998 12 valve with the NV4500. No issues were present or noticed prior to getting home.

Check over the shut off solenoid the problems there. Its spring loaded to turn off when it looses power.

The rubber boot on the shut off solenoid probably deteriorated and is stuck holding the return spring. Easy fix.

The rubber boot on the shut off solenoid probably deteriorated and is stuck holding the return spring. Easy fix.

This is exactly what happened to me with the same symptoms.
It happened ~9 years ago, and I had just some basic tools on the side of the road, I removed the shut off solenoid, ripped the boot off, cleaned everything with a rag I had, and put it back together.
When I get done with my trip, I took it apart and greased it. Since then, it hasn't had a boot, and it's never given me a problem. And I live in a pretty corrosive area (UP at that time, then Chicago, then Colorado (not bad corrosion wise), currently Minnesota).

I'd bet money that's your problem.

Also, when you take the shut off solenoid off, make sure you don't lose the woodruff key on the ppump shaft. I've done it and it sucks.

Back