Broke #4 NV4500

Valair1

Valair Inc. Clutch
alright i have broken 4 NV4500's in 6 months, all doing the same thing passing a car from 70MPH, i want to know is the NV5600 Stronger, or i will have to keep the throttle down in high gear. this trans was a new aftermarket with all the upgraded stuff, i hear other's talking about holding 1000hp + what are you doing to these trans to hold that much.

What are you breaking Dan...5th gear? Ripping off the teeth, or what?

I've broken a couple, but it was mostly just bearing failures that got worse:D
Chris

i dont know exactly, it is 5th but his time its making alot of racket, i have just installed alot of new mod's andthe truck is definetly making more power. but dang. i hardley even drive this truck, this is a brand new trans with less than 1500 miles on it.

you may be right, the problem is i sled pull and you have to have a trans that came in those trucks to pull in the class i run, otherwise i would stick a big eaton in it. i love the way the truck run's n hi gearwith the .355 gears, guess i wont be able to do that with these trans.

If 5th gear still has all the teeth on it...just weld her on. No more problems until something really lets go:D

I've towed in 5th for years, up to about 450hp, and nearing 40K gross, only ever lost 5th once, and that was on a tranny that didn't have many miles towing:D

Chris

last time i ripped all the teeth off of the inside of the counterhsaft gear, the time before that i broke the teeth off the big gear on the back, the time before that i broke the mainshaft, and the time before that i just lost the 5th gear thing,wont know for a couple day's what i broke this time. this trans was only 46 day's old and was brand new.

Ok, well...nevermind the welding...you're way beyond that:D

Find a Sherman tank, drive that:hehe:

NV5600's might be stronger...they ether shift like butter, or like total crap...nothing in between in my experience. Either a good one or bad one. A few people have broken main shafts in them, which is EXPENSIVE to fix...and a few more have ripped the teeth off 6th gear.
Chris

yep that what i think, i guess i'll just have ot ease off of it in hi gear and start working on my CR drag truck in which i'm gonna run a auto.LOL

I would make sure and have the case itself along with the overdrive case for cracks. My 3rd NV4500 was cracked both front and back but still held together until the 3rd gear let go for the second time. Also check your transfer case and all your u-joints. Could be possible that your driveshaft is out of round as well. Most times you will feel it, but not always. This resonance is the only thing that I could say may cause this. You make more power in 5th than any other gear on the road, (generally speaking), and this all happens to be taking place in the weakest gear you have. You could possibly talk to someone about having a billet 5th gear made or possibly even have your countershaft done. I don't know who would do this, but have heard rumors of this being done.

BTW - I'm on NV4500 #5 in my truck. Broken 6 total. Best of luck with your venture. If it is not going to go back on the street and will stay on the track, I can probably hook you up with someone who will make it near bullet proof, just not streetable or cheap.

yes that's what i thought last time, this truck has a brand new transfer case 241DHD and was a brand new trans with a cast rion tailshaft. new drive shafts as well, i know i make the most power in 5th it does on the dyno, i have added several new mod's and the truck runs alot stronger, i'm looking to go to a dyno on the 13th to find out how much better. i guess i'll have to lay off on it in 5th or change out the .355 gears.you play you pay, i know this very well.

If they take the standard 4500 shafts i already have USA made 1.375 4340hardend shafts, that's what i havein my truck as too.

Back