Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Gasoline Sucks

Name: Gasoline Sucks
Title: slow 12v
Member`s Gallery
68rfe valve body upgrades

I’ve been doing some research but haven’t really got a strait answer.

Long story short I bought a 2011 6.7 200k transfer case exploded at 70mph. Front drive shaft smashed all the fuel lines off the frame rail took out Shift linkage etc. Got a 273f cheap rebuilt it with dodge shafts etc. that’s all good.

Question The previous owner removed the pan as it was damaged and the trans shop removed the valve body. Is there any improvements I can make while the valve body is off? I saw something about an upgraded gasket and plate?

Truck is box stock now all I’ll do is deletes a tune and trans tune. Mostly run it in a tow tune anything’s better then stock. I have a compound setup in the 12v if I wanna go fast.

Any pointers to help reliability is appreciated. Not looking for a $1000 vb.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
BD makes a seal kit that greatly helps cross leak. I'd recommend that for like $120 or whatever it is. When that's installed, you can tell your tuner to turn the line pressure up past 175psi. The next component would be the pump needing upgrading but that's closer to 200psi.

I'd also recommend a new solenoid pack if it's already got 200k on it.

Definitely a deep pan for added fluid volume/cooling.

And I run PDD's trans fluid. I like it a lot.

I've been running basically this setup for a while and at 180k on it, it still doesn't miss a beat at ~400hp and commonly towing >10k. I've been surprised with this trans after seeing how many people dislike it in the performance world.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
I second the BD 68 Protect kit. You will need tuning for line pressure if you install their kit.

Add a deep pan.

Install a thermal valve eliminator, I got mine from RevMax.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
I second the BD 68 Protect kit. You will need tuning for line pressure if you install their kit.

Add a deep pan.

Install a thermal valve eliminator, I got mine from RevMax.
I don't think they got the thermal valve until 2013. My 2010 definitely didn't have one.

And you don't need tuning after installing the BD kit, but you do need tuning to take advantage of it!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
Gasoline Sucks

Member`s Gallery
Great info. I’ll get one in order. Who’s tune do you recommend? I’ve been tuning with springs and a flat head. Trans tunes with a Allen key

I gotta get this thing on the road the stock head bolts on the 12v DD have put up with 80psi for 2 yrs. I want to bump the timing and install lift pump but I know it’s gonna lift the head.

Last edited by Gasoline Sucks; 10-30-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Dom_c13b

Name: Dom_c13b
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
You don't need any pump mods to get 250+ psi. Just valve body mods. I don't recommend going over 225psi due to possible converter ballooning. BD Protect 68 kit, Trans-Go switch Valve and tuning will get you a long way.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
diesel_importer

Name: diesel_importer
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
DNJ Billet Channel Plate! They need to vacuum check the valve body, if possible. The switch valves are an issue, but Transgo has a nice reamer kit to repair them. I would put Transgo HD2 shift kit and a DNJ plate for sure, throw some trans tuning on it and enjoy!

Old 11-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Also, maybe good for reference, the 07.5-09 units didn't have a hard anodized VB which lead to degradation issues. 2010+ do have that.

And I looked it up, 2013+ has the thermal valve. That's why the solenoid pack changed again.

This is the site I buy all of my OEM 68RFE parts from. I've had good experiences with them and they are very knowledgeable on the phone.
Server Error

Old 11-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Also, maybe good for reference, the 07.5-09 units didn't have a hard anodized VB which lead to degradation issues. 2010+ do have that.

And I looked it up, 2013+ has the thermal valve. That's why the solenoid pack changed again.

This is the site I buy all of my OEM 68RFE parts from. I've had good experiences with them and they are very knowledgeable on the phone.
Server Error

I have heard conflicting info on whether the anodizing has much value.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Gasoline Sucks

Member`s Gallery
Great info I’m looking around at the bd kit and transgo now. Got a buddy should be able to get a better deal through his shop.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
One of the main issues with 68 VB's is that they tend to develop cracks in the areas where the mounting bolts go through and they are not really visible to the naked eye. You can see it on a vb test machine. If your light on mileage you may be able o use yours again. I usually replace the VB in high mileage builds. They are a bit pricey but worth it. You do spend quite a bit in parts to build these thing up.

That DNJ piece is nice. Will be on the next one I build.

Last edited by raychem; 11-05-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
diesel_importer

Member`s Gallery
Definitely start with a new, anodized valve body, but don't trust the Mopar units, just because they're supposed to be remanufactured. They still don't flat sand them and vacuum check the switch valve. The video I saw about a cracked valve body was the channel plate, which the DNJ piece would solve. I've used some of the BD Protect kits. They've solved some Low Line Pressure codes, but I haven't seen them after being installed for 100k miles, to see if the gaskets hold up.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_importer View Post
Definitely start with a new, anodized valve body, but don't trust the Mopar units, just because they're supposed to be remanufactured. They still don't flat sand them and vacuum check the switch valve. The video I saw about a cracked valve body was the channel plate, which the DNJ piece would solve. I've used some of the BD Protect kits. They've solved some Low Line Pressure codes, but I haven't seen them after being installed for 100k miles, to see if the gaskets hold up.
The two things I don't like about the D&J ones: 1) They're not anodized and 6061T6 is some soft stuff, especially with 200psi fluid pushing through it 2) The price tag is pretty wild. This probably takes them around $30 in material, and a couple hours of machine time to make. If it was ~$300 and anodized, it'd be very attractive. Or 7075.
And man, when they talk about their 'validation', it really shows the lack of engineering that goes into this. "Let's validate this valve body by applying pressure to it in a way completely different than it would ever see in the real world! Then, let's plastically deform it and not even know when it hits yield." A real test would be to assemble it to a known good 68RFE valve body and pressurize until they see a certain flow rate or volume loss due to crossleak. Then take a stock one and do the same test. Then maybe a competitor (BD) and do the same. My assumption is there would be very little difference in usable pressure between the D&J vs the BD.
They'd also want to do cycle testing to prove it lasts any longer than stock.
That's just my !

Old 11-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
raychem

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The two things I don't like about the D&J ones: 1) They're not anodized and 6061T6 is some soft stuff, especially with 200psi fluid pushing through it 2) The price tag is pretty wild. This probably takes them around $30 in material, and a couple hours of machine time to make. If it was ~$300 and anodized, it'd be very attractive. Or 7075.
And man, when they talk about their 'validation', it really shows the lack of engineering that goes into this. "Let's validate this valve body by applying pressure to it in a way completely different than it would ever see in the real world! Then, let's plastically deform it and not even know when it hits yield." A real test would be to assemble it to a known good 68RFE valve body and pressurize until they see a certain flow rate or volume loss due to crossleak. Then take a stock one and do the same test. Then maybe a competitor (BD) and do the same. My assumption is there would be very little difference in usable pressure between the D&J vs the BD.
They'd also want to do cycle testing to prove it lasts any longer than stock.
That's just my !

Have you used one? Not a knock on you. I was just curious on your experience with them. I always change out the VB's when I rebuild a 68RFE transmission from Dodge but I believe they are all rebuilds for the most part now. I have seen but have yet to use the Sonnax rebuilt units. They are updated with all their parts and seem to work.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychem View Post
Have you used one? Not a knock on you. I was just curious on your experience with them. I always change out the VB's when I rebuild a 68RFE transmission from Dodge but I believe they are all rebuilds for the most part now. I have seen but have yet to use the Sonnax rebuilt units. They are updated with all their parts and seem to work.
I've got the BD kit. I haven't used the others, and I don't have a lot of experience rebuilding 68RFE's.
I have done a decent amount of design and validation work in my professional life though, and I was just saying that their described validation is really not applicable.

I bet the D&J ones work, I bet they work better than OEM at the time of install. I'd be curious to see long term performance.

You do have me curious about my valve body now though! Next time I drop the pan, I'll likely pull the VB and hit it with some dye pen to see if I can find cracks. I really haven't had any noticeable issues though.
Most of the reading I've done recommends swapping the solenoid pack out every 100k or so, but I've never seen anything about needed to swap the whole VB.
What's your experience with the solenoid pack? I decided not to spend the ~$300 on a new one since mine didn't seem to have any issues. Whenever I eventually run out of clutch material and have to open it up, I'll toss a new one in.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Just to clarify... from my understanding its DNJ not D&J.
Oh man, you're right. I've been saying it wrong for years!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #17
diesel_importer

Member`s Gallery
I've used the BD kits, but do I think adding gaskets to a valve body is the best way? No. If you can get everything flat enough to seal without have a paper material that could fail, I'd rather have it that way. Also, it was DNJ testing the strength of the channel plates. That was just 2 guys that know their stuff and wanted to see how they compared in strength and flatness.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've used the BD kits, but do I think adding gaskets to a valve body is the best way? No. If you can get everything flat enough to seal without have a paper material that could fail, I'd rather have it that way.
X2, that's exactly how I feel about head gaskets. Get a 12V nice and flat, decent fasteners, torque it right, and they seem to last.
Start with a slightly warped head, good luck.

Quote:
It was DNJ testing the strength of the channel plates. That was just 2 guys that know their stuff and wanted to see how they compared in strength and flatness.
Sure, and I'm all for people doing real world testing to prove out their designs. I just didn't think it looped back to application at all.
They should just do some simple FEA, or add some bungs and pressurize to 300psi and measure leak or lack of vs stock.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #19
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Anyways, back to OP. You'd be surprised how decent these transmissions are when you get rid of major cross leaks, add some fluid capacity, and tuning. It doesn't feel like a billet 48RE, and that's a good thing for everything but racing IMO.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
raychem

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've got the BD kit. I haven't used the others, and I don't have a lot of experience rebuilding 68RFE's.
I have done a decent amount of design and validation work in my professional life though, and I was just saying that their described validation is really not applicable.

I bet the D&J ones work, I bet they work better than OEM at the time of install. I'd be curious to see long term performance.

You do have me curious about my valve body now though! Next time I drop the pan, I'll likely pull the VB and hit it with some dye pen to see if I can find cracks. I really haven't had any noticeable issues though.
Most of the reading I've done recommends swapping the solenoid pack out every 100k or so, but I've never seen anything about needed to swap the whole VB.
What's your experience with the solenoid pack? I decided not to spend the ~$300 on a new one since mine didn't seem to have any issues. Whenever I eventually run out of clutch material and have to open it up, I'll toss a new one in.

The way I see things is based on experience. Once it bites me in the a** I don't do things the same. Even though this was on an 08-09 truck. I did have a VB give me all kinds of problems. I went a little nutty on this particular job since most of the stuff for the 68's was new at the time. Had to buy from the dealer at the time with new VB and new pump. I did not have spare VBs laying around like I have for 47s and 48s. This solved the problem and became a standard replacement on these transmissions. Not so much the case as much with the newer VBs but you better have them check out. They are still prone to have issues.

I just see it as your spending 4k-6K on a transmission and another 500 is not really much more to spend and have less headaches. Every Ford transmission gets a new front pump when I build them. I don't care of the one on there is good. I rather spend another 500 for a new pump then have to drop a transmission again due to pump problems. I waste more time and money dropping a trans again due to something that can be avoided than for a legitimate reason.

As for the OP..... pay to play! If you are going to tune then 30hp MAX for longevity. The 6.7 makes much more TQ than a 5.9 even on the smallest tune hp for hp and search for one that addresses the TCM. There are some bolt on parts from Sonnax such as the accumulator plate and such you can do. Those transmissions are time bombs so just understand what you are in for.

Last edited by raychem; 11-11-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Closed Thread