Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
RonA

Name: RonA
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How bad are the Tier 4 small diesel engines?

Looking at some small generators and anything new has to have the tier 4 stuff that everyone complains about. Does it shorten the life of the motor, or just drain the users wallet every couple of years with replacement and repairs? Looking at something like the 50 hp Kubota or Perkins engine.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Nootch

Name: Nootch
Title: nosprkreqrd
Member`s Gallery
I am a dealer mechanic for CAT and our lawn/garden small tier 4 motors (perkins 2.2l) are pretty trouble free and use a passive regeneration system. Other than early generation head problems that were solved, they are quite robust for the abuse they take.

The regeneration muffler doesn't adversely effect the engine, and i have yet to see EGR on anything smaller than a 3.8L CAT engine. When regen is needed, the engine just needs to be up at operating temp and it ads heat to the exhaust stream with post injection events (IIRC). most times in the skid steer, its its being used, it keeps itself clear.

Spark plugs are for those who can't handle the pressure

Old 10-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Have you considered an air cooled Deutz engine? One less system to maintain is all I'm thinking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
RonA

Member`s Gallery
Central Maine Diesel has a couple different models that I like. If I can get the Generac running and sold, they would be the place to look.

Last edited by RonA; 10-20-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Biggest thing with the tier 4 emissions gensets is to make sure that you load them hard to burn the emissions out of the system. If you are only using them to under 70% capacity they will build up and have issues. We are running one at work for our office trailers, every 1500 machine hours they come out and load bank it by putting some monster electric heaters on it and run it at 105% of capacity for about 30 minutes. Ours is running 24/7, they said that if it was used sparatically they would come and load bank it more often so that the particles do not sit in it.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Last edited by 06 DIESEL; 10-21-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Engine wet stacking and dpf soot load are two separate issues. On a cat gen. the owner can trigger a manual regen. to keep the dpf clear, but that doesn't help the engine if it's been run unloaded for a while. The wet stacking is what the load bank is for. It's sometimes difficult to diagnose wet stacking since the evidence in the exhaust is burned up in the aftertreatment and any excessive blowby gets run back into the intake now.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
Biggest thing with the tier 4 emissions gensets is to make sure that you load them hard to burn the emissions out of the system. If you are only using them to under 70% capacity they will build up and have issues. We are running one at work for our office trailers, every 1500 machine hours they come out and load bank it by putting some monster electric heaters on it and run it at 105% of capacity for about 30 minutes. Ours is running 24/7, they said that if it was used sparatically they would come and load bank it more often so that the particles do not sit in it.

Sounds just like trucks that run PTO’s. Fuel trucks are the worst. Spend most of their time idling and never get hot enough to burn and can’t idle up to regen.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
RonA

Member`s Gallery
So a non emissions motor would be preferable.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
So a non emissions motor would be preferable.
Profound...

Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
RonA

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Profound...
Just thinking out loud.

Closed Thread