Spool Aid.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laramie4x4

I'm still FASTER
Hey guys after reading all the hipe that torqueslut posted a while back on CumminsForum about this spool aid he had Shane at Wicked built for him and not getting any feedback..we kinda took it upon ourselves to make out own..being that its rather similar I can't take credit for inventing such thing just my own version...!!!! So we did it to 3 trucks this week and the results are pretty cool.. spool up is certainly faster off the line during all kinds of driving.. mid range turbos light quicker and top end is nasty!!! and the trucks all sound different.. we are going to the dyno tomorrow to see what the gains are.. mind you I dont know if its a high horse power mod but certainly helps the truck perform better.. we all noticed about 200* lower in egt's and also gas mileage is up a bit boost is the same.. but the dyno will tell all..and we are going to the same dyno we used for my friend Kevin's truck a month or so ago and see how its has changed..being this is the only change the truck has had.. and I'm building one on wednesday for a friend who is running an Aurora 6k for a single and see if it helps him light his turbo better which is his current issue... I will post some pics of what we did later..

some quick pics I iwll explain after I tend to my lady I have to get off the pc and pay attention to her!!!

piping...

DSCN0722.jpg

pipe to #6

DSCN0724.jpg

pipe to #1

DSCN0727.jpg

new apps relocation bracket.

DSCN0720.jpg

Looks great. I've been curious about this as well. How is install with the head on?

And what I've got to ask, how much if I run down the road and buy one from you? My truck has been annoyingly smokey lately.

Ok I'm going to post all the pictures with what I came up with..

How it works is like stainlessRRA said.. there is 2 freeze plugs in the cylinder on a CR..which cover most of the #1 intake runner and all of #6 runner. and the casting also covers a bit of the #5 also.. when you remove the freeze plugs you can see how restrictive the little passage is to these cylinders and mkaes for have optimal flow nearly impossible...By removing these freeze plugs and adding pressurized air to a place that normally doesn't see the flow like I am able to provide to them now... the engine is able to perform better..spool the turbo's quicker/sooner and mid range and top end power has significantlly changed for the better as well.. egt's have dropped a bit and the smoke has cleared up some aswell...It wasn't hard to make this set up at all.. and I have done 3 compound turbo trucks so far.. we all noticed a big difference in the off the line spooling and smoke, mid range and top end.. plus the sound that has changed from air being forced into the head.. We are going to the dyno today to see what kind of hp changes it has made.. mind you I don't think this is a High HP mod maybe some gain at least but the driveability and performance,and safety that the enginecan recieve from this is what Ithink makes it a legit mod to do for ones who can't afford or don't want to mill the intake off... So here are the pics..

here is a bare CR head everything removed.
DSCN0688.jpg

Far away side look will #1 and #6 freeze plugs removed.
DSCN0689.jpg

Up close of #6
DSCN0690.jpg

Up close of #1
DSCN0691.jpg

a look at the passage to #6
DSCN0692.jpg

A look to #6 with a flash light in the #6 freeze plug hole.
DSCN0694.jpg

Mock up of 1.50 DOM inserted into freeze plugs former locations...
DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0696.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

Now Mock up with silicone boot and clamps on..
DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0701.jpg

With a small piece of 1.50 mild steel tubing in coupler.
DSCN0702.jpg

my ghetto paint rendering of how the system works..
SpoolAid.jpg

For the 06 trucks I have done I had some 3" madrel bent copies made out of the factory plastic piece they come with..
DSCN0731.jpg

platis vs. metal.
DSCN0733.jpg

1.50" DOM .095 wall.. with bead welded on it for clamp retention.
DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

#6 installed and boot on while in truck.
DSCN0738.jpg

side shot of charge pipe and #1 an #6 pipes connected.
DSCN0741.jpg

thru fenderwell of #6
DSCN0742.jpg

top view of #6
DSCN0744.jpg

Top view of #1
DSCN0743.jpg

why the uses of dom tubing into the head? that stuff is thick as sh$t

the other pipes and pieces are nicely done

HP gains will be insignificant...$.02

I agree for the most part.. I don't know what the gains will be if any but the driveability will be better for anyone who wants it..the fact that volumetric effiency is more achieved that not having it is not arguable.. and again once we get on the dyno we will have better results for questions... other than all of our seat o pants meters.. and I'm putting one on a big single this wednesdaysee if it helps..as well as a bone stock truck..

why the uses of dom tubing into the head? that stuff is thick as sh$t

the other pipes and pieces are nicely done

Well I needed something that would be stron enough to stay in there.. I tried with a few different steel tubes and using mild steel it mushed and took away tubing material as you hammered it in.. I could use a smaller wall they have 0.065 wall which I might try as wel.. but being that its pressurized its going thru no matter what...

is there enough material in the head to thread it?

Technically yes...it's 3/4" deep and then it comes to 2 casted stops. I could have done it but taping with the head on would be extremly hard and very messy potentially dangerous.. and the tap would be insanely expensive.. and if I were to market such a thing that would take out the ease of it ya know.. they way it is now we havent had any issues at all with it moving,shifting of any sort...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back