Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #121
SLangegger

Name: SLangegger
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
How did you get the camber right? Will you be able to adjust/align it?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #122
Tx_Roper

Name: Tx_Roper
Title: Texan
Member`s Gallery
Man! This is one sick build! Awesome work!
Got any pictures of your jeep?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #123
smoke machine

Name: smoke machine
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
man i just found this and went through all 7 pages. What do you do for a living? If you arent doing fab work or manufacting offroad suspensions you need to start lol There is alot of crazy stuff you built that most people would never think of. Hats off to you

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #124
SuperDave4x4

Name: SuperDave4x4
Title: popcorn playa
Member`s Gallery
Killer welds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sold)1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24v CTD Ext. Cab- 01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, Garmon/SunCoast, Drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 57/72 twins, AD150, 20" Hoss, Proxes STII, Thuren/Carli, etc

Member #41

Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #125
SWALLDOG

Name: SWALLDOG
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart View Post
Amazing fab work! Looks great man
thanks man!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #126
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
love the fab, lots of overkill... ever consider building a front-end loader for that thing hahaha
thanks man, its all about overkill. i could probably find a loader bucket around here at work to retro fit on there. haha. start doing side work pushin dirt

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #127
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 View Post
I got to see it in person! the front axle wasnt built then but still a cool ride.

When are ya gettin the p pump on there? and are you going to weekend on the edge or industrial dyno?
thanks man. i really want to get the p-pump in. i'm kinda getting cold feet, i'm just afraid that my drive ability will just get worse. i guess if i tune it right it wont be a problem.

yeah i am planing on both. II for sure but i think i have to work the weekend of the edge. that friday before the edge i will be hanging out with everyone at WOP. they are having something going on during the day before the drags. you goin?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #128
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsproud View Post
awesome
thanks man!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #129
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLangegger View Post
How did you get the camber right? Will you be able to adjust/align it?
everything is adjustable except for the camber. the knuckles were build with 13 deg in them, which is what most newer axles are. i machined jigs for everything for when i welded them together so they should be pretty good. its really no different than most other solid axles out there. i haven't put it on the rack yet but when i do if there is something off i will just have to machine some custom spacers for the joints to correct it. i'm not to worried, its just aligned with a fat max tape measure and my lazer eye right now and it drive pretty dang straight.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #130
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Roper View Post
Man! This is one sick build! Awesome work!
Got any pictures of your jeep?
thanks man! yeah i've got a few pics. i need to upload some better, more up to date ones. on the second pic the one on the back is mine and the green one my buddie and i build for our old boss.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #131
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke machine View Post
man i just found this and went through all 7 pages. What do you do for a living? If you arent doing fab work or manufacting offroad suspensions you need to start lol There is alot of crazy stuff you built that most people would never think of. Hats off to you
hey thanks man, i really appreciate that. i have worked for a few different custom fab/suspension shops over the years. the last 4 years i have been working as a heavy diesel mechanic for a mine in Utah. it was the money that got me. i'm going to start doing more custom stuff on my days off cuz i love doing it and i have the stuff to do it. ya know just have my own little fab shop with no real overhead.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #132
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4 View Post
Killer welds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks man!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #133
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
So here she is ready to install in the truck. got the truck pulled in to my buddy's shop and got the old axle out. in the first pic you can see the brackets that i made for my hyd assist steering and the double shear bracket for the track bar.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #134
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
i had to build a new track bar bracket for the frame end. I had to cut off the stock one and fab this one in its place. I need to take more pics of it. it is welded on the frame but it also goes under and across the cross member that goes under the engine about a 1/3 of the way. kinda like where some of the drop brackets bolt on. i think it should be pretty stout. you can also see the air spring in the second pic all installed.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #135
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
this is a pic of the axle under the truck before i had the track bar and drag link on yet. i used tie downs to keep the axle centered so i could get the truck out of the shop for a few days why i went back to work. the second pic is a better shot of the air springs installed with the adapters in the stock coil buckets. for the time i just made a short air line to fill the bags up with till i can get the air system i want installed.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #136
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
for my track bar and my drag link the plan was to use a right and left had threaded joints on each end so i could adjust them. but when i went to make them i had to put some bends in them to clear the brackets at full turn and the frame at full drop. so what i did is use a weld on joint on the one side and then make an adjuster for the other end, kinda like the factory. these to pics are of the adjusters that i made. i used pinch bolts on these as well.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #137
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
for the tie rod i was able to just use a left hand thread joint on one end and a right on the other. i really wish i could have done this on the drag link and track bar and kept them straight but it would have taken some work to modify the frame and stuff and i dident really think it was worth it. i figure if i really want to in the future i can, just mod the frame and replace the track bar.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #138
SWALLDOG

Member`s Gallery
so this is the latest pic i have of the front end right now. its all installed with the track bar, drag link, tierod, brakes. i dident have my hyd assist steering hooked up yet. i had to make some longer lines and route them a diffrent way. i need to get some pics of it now at full drop and full compression. i still have not got the 4wheel drive hooked up yet. i have three out of the four axle shafts that i need. it worked out pretty sweet in that regard because i'm just using cromo 35 spline chevy stub shafts (cuz the hubs and spindles are chevy). i'm going to keep the center 35 spline for the ease of getting axle shafts. i'm using the longest 35 spline cromo dana 60 shafts they make for the inners and the lengths worked out just about perfect. the axle ended up being about 1/4" wider than the rear. so i just need to get one more inner shaft, ring and pinion(cuz i changed to 4.10 gears) and an install kit and i should be good to go. i will probably have to modify my drive line also. i also put my waren 35 spline locking hubs on that i had taken off my jeep when i went to drive flanges.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #139
Cummins016spd

Name: Cummins016spd
Title: Justin
Member`s Gallery
Awesome build I'll be watching this one

Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #140
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWALLDOG View Post
thanks man. i really want to get the p-pump in. i'm kinda getting cold feet, i'm just afraid that my drive ability will just get worse. i guess if i tune it right it wont be a problem.

yeah i am planing on both. II for sure but i think i have to work the weekend of the edge. that friday before the edge i will be hanging out with everyone at WOP. they are having something going on during the day before the drags. you goin?
well if you dont want to swap it my dad needs a p pump for his 12 valve (my old one) yeah i should be set for weekend on the edge and industrial, im only going to spectate and maybe hop on the dyno. I cant afford to kill more transmissions!

Closed Thread