Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
48re lockup with no unlock. Help

Okay, so i bought a used Georend valve body from a member here and have been having some problems getting it to work properly. I have left messages for about two weeks now with Georend and cant get a call back...

I swapped in this VB to replace my stock VB with a transgo kit. It did not any issues prior to swapping only the Georend VB, i was just hoping for better shifts.

The problem is, from a dead stop it goes in first and second with no problems, then as soon as it hits 3rd gear the converter locks and then goes into OD. (It does this mechanically, my lockup switch stays illuminated when the ECM isnt telling it to lockup.) Then when you slow down the converter stays locked in OD, wont downshift or unlock the converter. Only way to get it to unlock is pull it into neutral or 2nd on the shifter. Then the process repeats itself over again once you take off again.

I have changed the gov pressure sensor, lockup solenoids, and adjusted the tv lever. I pulled the valve body this weekend and cleaned it all up with brake clean, didnt really see anything clogged and it worked perfectly for about 60miles. Now it has started it all over again.

Anyone have any ideas?
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
I had what i think is the same problem. 2003 48re aftermarket race valve body. shift 1-2-3-lock then 4th locked. wouldn't come out of overdrive with the switch or full throttle. swapped pcm checked wiring replaced all the electronics had the valvebody out 4 or 5 times and couldn't fix it.. figured it was a cross leak in the valvebody. changed everything over to another casting and the problem went away. One other thing mine would do is tie up, if you put it in drive it would bind... shift to neutral then back to drive it was fine. didn't do it all the time but a few times. Did the other guy say why he was selling it????

Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
I'd say to take it apart again and THOROUGHLY clean it based on you saying it was resolved for about 60 miles after cleaning it...

If the previous owner was not having problems it likely collected dust/debris in storage/shipping that got in the passages...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post
I had what i think is the same problem. 2003 48re aftermarket race valve body. shift 1-2-3-lock then 4th locked. wouldn't come out of overdrive with the switch or full throttle. swapped pcm checked wiring replaced all the electronics had the valvebody out 4 or 5 times and couldn't fix it.. figured it was a cross leak in the valvebody. changed everything over to another casting and the problem went away. One other thing mine would do is tie up, if you put it in drive it would bind... shift to neutral then back to drive it was fine. didn't do it all the time but a few times. Did the other guy say why he was selling it????

He said it was his buddies and he was putting the truck back to stock for him. I appreciate the information.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
It does take awhile to get a hold of Dave, he's got a lot on his plate. Best thing you can do is just keep calling daily and asking to get a hold of him,and be a nuisance. If you call and they say he will call you back it'll be awhile. But once you do get a hold of him he is a open book and is super knowledagble and is able to explain things. Keep calling keep calling. It sounds like you have something funky going on for sure

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
thatguy69

Member`s Gallery
It almost sounds like the vb was built to do that? Like a sled pull valvebody or something idk. Either way once you talk to Dave he will be able to tell you what's going on asap. I forgot email was a good day to get a hold of him, usually gets back with ya within a day. Info@goerend.com, shoot him an email about what it's doing and any details you got on the vb, like the original buyers name or there will be a number scribed into the vb. He can tell you exactly what the vb was built for if you got that info

Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
It almost sounds like the vb was built to do that? Like a sled pull valvebody or something idk. Either way once you talk to Dave he will be able to tell you what's going on asap. I forgot email was a good day to get a hold of him, usually gets back with ya within a day. Info@goerend.com, shoot him an email about what it's doing and any details you got on the vb, like the original buyers name or there will be a number scribed into the vb. He can tell you exactly what the vb was built for if you got that info

From what I understand it was a street truck, there would be no reason for it to lock the converter in OD at 30mph. I had one of the sales ladies write down all the previous owners info in one of the messages I left as well... I appreciate the email info, I will give that a try today.

At this point I just want to buy one from someone else, but I cant even get any money back out of this one so im kinda stuck with it.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
Get ahold of Dusty at HTS, he's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these transmissions and will take the time to talk you through it.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachu812 View Post
Get ahold of Dusty at HTS, he's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these transmissions and will take the time to talk you through it.
I feel that is kind-of a dick move calling for advice on fixing a competitors product. I dont really feel right about doing that.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
I feel that is kind-of a dick move calling for advice on fixing a competitors product. I dont really feel right about doing that.
He deals with Goerend a good bit and sells their TCs, if he can't talk you through the problem he makes a damn good valve body that should fix it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
I have talked to Dusty on multiple occasions trying to diagnose problems on other peoples builds. He is an excellent source. I have sent him couple transmission builds not that he likely knows it.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
I got a call back from Dave, I am going to pull the VB and give him a call and take some pictures. He thinks it may not be one of their units...

I appreciate the help everybody.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
thatguy69

Member`s Gallery
Keep us posted

Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
I think I got it figured out... It looks like it was a bad batch of ATF+4 that I got from Oreillys. I swapped out the new VB with my old one and it did the same thing, so I pulled it back out and apart and found some clear gel looking stuff clogged in the lockup solenoid. I cleaned everything back up and bought a whole new batch of oil all over again with a new WIX filter, and have put about 200 miles on it so far with no more problems.

Each time I had been reusing the ATF since I initially swapped in the new VB. It was the Oriellys brand in a 5 gallon bucket... sucks I wasted all this time and money because of oil... but oh well.

Closed Thread