Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Compressor Housing Leak

I'm in the process of working the bugs out of the set of triples I just built. Its two HE351's feeding a HE341. Current issue is one of the primary turbos has a huge leak between the compressor and bearing cartridge. To the point I really can't do a leak check on the whole system.

I cleaned it up well, and applied some Permatex gasket eliminator (looks like grape jelly), but no luck at this point. Whats the solution here? It develops a very audible whine or squeal around 2 psi on a leak check, and you can feel the air pouring out. The other primary has a leak as well, but not nearly as bad. Haven't been able to check the secondary yet.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 08-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I'd run it some and get some heat in them then keep tightening the clamp/bolts for that charger.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Tate

Member`s Gallery
No dice on that, the HE turbos have a large snap ring on the back to retain it. I had it out for a boot two days ago and got it pretty warm (forgot I still had the winter grille covers in), but heat was no friend in that. I've smeared some RTV in there and letting it set currently, I'll pressure test it tomorrow and see if it worked.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
surfaces are likely corroded heavily. We cut oring grooves on the bearing housing when they get to that point. Get the right stuff and glue that thing on. Or get the 7.3 oil pan sealant if you feel brave. That stuff will seal any leak it seems.

North American Turbo

Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dont those have an o-ring that seals them? Id check that first... then just make sure the snap ring is seated all the way. It should have a tapered snap ring, so the further it goes into the groove the tighter it pulls the housings together. I use a punch to drive the ring in sometimes.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 08-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Tate

Member`s Gallery
Negative on the o-rings, all three are ringless, and based on the condition I got the chargers in, have never been apart. Corrosion shouldn't be an issue, I blasted the housings, and I've emoried the CHRA flange faces so they are quite clean.

I'll have to look into the oil pan sealant at a later date. I'm just doing a trial run of this set to fix any issues, then will get the pieces powder coated, then glue them together final.

I got on the snap ring with a heel bar to seat it in deeper. I'm gonna go give it a pressure test shortly, hopefully it sealed up better.

Closed Thread