Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
98 front end

Well my tires are wearing funny. And truck does wander. Steering box also leaks. Been doing some reading on here and some other spots and getting information that seems to be all over the place from $1500 in parts to $250 kits.

I'm going to get under the truck tomorrow and jack up the front end and do some prying. See what I can find that's loose.

Looking for recommendations on common failures. Also read something on steering column issues as well? Once I find what might need replacing, suggestions on upgraded parts and other stuff that I should look at replacing while in there, will be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, track bar joints are involved in steering and suspension issues. Death wobble is usually the track bar. If you get death wobble youll know it.
you can get a steering stabilizer bracket for the sector shaft, takes the load off the box and keeps the bearing and lower seal from wearing so bad. Replacement bearing is cheap and easy to get.
You can upgrade the steering box to a borgeson or other aftermarket setup. The only hitch with the borgeson is its a delphi unit youll need to elongate the holes in your steering stabilizer bracket if you have one.
make sure the track bar is parallel to your drag link, this helps with bump steer.
If youre running oversized tires, buy a ball joint press and receiver kit. Youll need it. jack up each side and put a pipe under the tire and try to lever it out to the side while someone watches the joint for play.
You can get a bracket and a 3rd gen style track bar. That seemed to help my setup since I needed the drop to get the bars lined up.
Theres people that have converted the steering linkage to use heims instead of ball joints. The kit I got came with heim ends on the TREs that were undersized for the loads they take. Wears out too fast. Other than that, not much difference. Not really helpful unless you wanted to ditch the older 'inverted-Y' steering on an older 2nd gen and weld on an axle mount for stabilizer.
Companies like Thuren Fab, dodge offroad, solidsteel.biz should have what youre looking for.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Last edited by kawi600; 05-04-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Just went through this last week myself.
Replaced the box, and all other steering components. Also have a brace to put on this weekend as well.

I couldn't stomach going aftermarket on the box and stuff so I just went with parts store stuff. Also, there was a heavy duty steering option in 98-99. I suggest looking into that.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I replaced everything mentioned and went with the heavy duty crossover steering (witch wasn't that bad buying all the parts aftermarket at parts store). The best upgrade to stop the wander was the Borg steering box and shaft.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi600 View Post
ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, track bar joints are involved in steering and suspension issues. Death wobble is usually the track bar. If you get death wobble youll know it.

you can get a steering stabilizer bracket for the sector shaft, takes the load off the box and keeps the bearing and lower seal from wearing so bad. Replacement bearing is cheap and easy to get.

WHAT ARE YOU CALLING THE TRACK BAR? I get the drag link and and tie rod. You reccomend changing the bearing on the box? Is the lower seal available? The box does have some play. I did adjust it last year and tightened it up a bit.

You can upgrade the steering box to a borgeson or other aftermarket setup. The only hitch with the borgeson is its a delphi unit youll need to elongate the holes in your steering stabilizer bracket if you have one.

make sure the track bar is parallel to your drag link, this helps with bump steer.

If youre running oversized tires, buy a ball joint press and receiver kit. Youll need it. jack up each side and put a pipe under the tire and try to lever it out to the side while someone watches the joint for play.

You can get a bracket and a 3rd gen style track bar. That seemed to help my setup since I needed the drop to get the bars lined up.

IVE READ GUYS INSTALLING 3RD GEN STEERING. THE TRUCK IS AND EVERY DAY NORMAL DRIVER. 33" discover st AND NO LIFT.

Theres people that have converted the steering linkage to use heims instead of ball joints. The kit I got came with heim ends on the TREs that were undersized for the loads they take. Wears out too fast. Other than that, not much difference. Not really helpful unless you wanted to ditch the older 'inverted-Y' steering on an older 2nd gen and weld on an axle mount for stabilizer.

Companies like Thuren Fab, dodge offroad, solidsteel.biz should have what youre looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Just went through this last week myself.
Replaced the box, and all other steering components. Also have a brace to put on this weekend as well.

I couldn't stomach going aftermarket on the box and stuff so I just went with parts store stuff. Also, there was a heavy duty steering option in 98-99. I suggest looking into that.
What was wrong with the aftermarket stuff? Price? What brand parts did you put on? Like napa branded or the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I replaced everything mentioned and went with the heavy duty crossover steering (witch wasn't that bad buying all the parts aftermarket at parts store). The best upgrade to stop the wander was the Borg steering box and shaft.

What was the price on the Borg box? Do the parts stores carry this? Which shaft did you replace? From the box up?

Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #6
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Yes price was my deal. Borg box is like triple a parts store brand. Just can't stomach that lol
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462448927.635344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462448941.208827.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462448960.781351.jpg
Judging from my picture my truck has the hd setup? Being it a 98.

The track bar is the bar in behind the tierod. I believe it had a bit of play on the ends when I checked before.

What is the steering brace that's an add on?

It's prob a good idea to change the shock(stabilizer) on the tierod as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes price was my deal. Borg box is like triple a parts store brand. Just can't stomach that lol

That's pretty rough. What was the part store box worth? I've got 2 extra stock boxes off a 97 and 95. I was thinking of pulling one apart and trying to rebuild but not sure it's worth it and if the parts are available.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
You already have the good steering linkage, don't remember what I paid for the box it was long ago. It came with the steering shaft and a new power steering pump. I tried everything to get rid of the wonder and heavy steering especially when towing, the box made a huge difference. I believe it also went to a 3:1 ratio over the stock 4:1.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271677640034

Should I be looking at installing this?

BRE did you change anything above the box?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
kawi600

Member`s Gallery
If you do spend extra on aftermarket, it should be the track bar and the steering shaft brace. that will keep the death wobble away and save the lower seal on the box.
I end up doing a set of balljoints once a year on mine, its ridiculous. The moog ones seem to be the best bang for the buck. Tried a few others and they didnt last near as long.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
BRE

Member`s Gallery
I replaced every piece of steering on my truck minus the shaft. Have a steering box brace from hell bent steel at the house to go on this weekend, and I put new bilstein 5100's all the way around.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
98 front end

https://vimeo.com/165796835
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462745987.102766.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746004.376120.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746017.517015.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746027.055252.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746036.041376.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746045.615255.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1462746056.775822.jpg

Only found one loose joint. Guessing that whole bar needs to be changed? Box seems to have very little to no play. I tightened it up a year ago but it still leaks.

Some more pics of tires going all funky.

Now what's best to replace this rod with? And what does a steering brace help out?

Also wondering if I should toss on some new shocks..... Truck seems to ride fine though

Last edited by Ram12vcummins; 05-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Ordered moog track bar cost of $140 usd shipped up to me and steering box brace $80 used shipped to me.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #15
kawi600

Member`s Gallery
If the steering box is leaking from the lower seal, chances are the bearing is loose, or the shaft has rust on it.
Steering damper helps absorb impacts that try to turn the wheels. The older trucks had a mount on the frame, but the newer ones have a mount on the passenger side axle. When I did my steering upgrade I hacked up an axle mount out of angle iron and welded it in the same spot as the newer trucks. Makes more sense to have the axle as the mount.
If you have one side of the tie rod thats loose, that whole side needs replacing. Ones longer and more expensive. forget which.
The heim setups replacement cost is about 50$ a side or so, for FK RSMX 12T joints.
If your tires are wearing on one side you probably have issues with ball joints or TRE's.
BTW a shop will check all that stuff when they do an alignment and its not too expensive.
You probably want to replace those control arm bushings soon. If you decide to get a set of aftermarket control arms theres piles of places that sell them.
Try to stay with bushings, I dont think heims would last long on the arms.

Last edited by kawi600; 05-10-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
I haven't found any tie rod ends loose yet. Just the ball joint on the track bar. The ones on the sway bar links are loose as well so I ordered them too.

My tires aren't wearing on one side. They are going all choppy. It's wierd.

How tough are the control arm bushings gonna be to change? I will need an alignment after swapping those if I do because I'm assuming they have like a cam bolt in them for that purpose?

Do you think after market arms are the way to go? These stock ones must flex. But I guess I could weld some flat stock to close up most the bottom and strengthen them.

A there a brand of bushings or controls arms that are proven to be good and last a while?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Hell bent steel is a decent brand for the money. I like their stuff.

How old are the shocks?
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #18
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Hell bent steel is a decent brand for the money. I like their stuff.

How old are the shocks?

I couldn't tell you. I've only had the truck for year and half or so. The truck don't seem to be too rough for a 3/4 ton.

I think I tried hellbent for the steering shaft stabiliZer but they won't ship up here. I don't know wtf it is with bs like that. Or companies that won't ship to p.o boxes. Makes no sense.

Someone must have changed some of the front end stuff. All the ball joints are greasable. Not sure if that's stock.

I'm not sure how long the steering dapmner lasts either. It is mounted to the axle not the frame. But steering don't seem to be easily jarred.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
BRE

Member`s Gallery
There is for sure more than the track bar wrong to wear tires like that.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #20
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Can't be a terrible amount wrong the truck don't shake at all

Closed Thread