Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Caterpilllar
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Caterpilllar Mello Yello

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
dzlfarmboy

Name: dzlfarmboy
Title: Supporting Vendor
Member`s Gallery
CAT 3116? Fueling

Anybody ever fool with one much, I have a friend with one in a box truck and is having issues with a hard start and I believe it has a grid heater on it and is working properly. No 100% what the fuel system is like on those. Any tips would be a help.

Thanks Brett

Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
Is it hard starting hot as well?

95 5 speed

Old 04-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
dzlfarmboy

Name: dzlfarmboy
Title: Supporting Vendor
Member`s Gallery
I think it's ok after it's warm just when sitting for a while even when sitting in a warm enviroment.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
I would start by replacing the fuel return check valve. It is located on the front of the engine just above and the front of the govenor there is a valve and spring in there. Its what regulated the fuel pressure and keeps the fuel from running to the tank after it sets for a while.

95 5 speed

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
wdimig

Name: wdimig
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
my dad has a 3116 in his snapon tool truck, that thing is a pig, but i know that there is something wrong with it, from the small knowledge that ive gathered on this engine, it sounds like it needs a overhead adjustment the valves and the injector syncronization needs to be checked. they also had issues with the injector bore seats in the head coming loose, which would alow compression to get into the fuel system, and it really kills the power, also they dont like the be idled, and generally seems to hurt them. i have some oil leaks to fix, the cam boxes are leaking, but they can only be taken off once the rockers, and push rods are taken off, just like the Cummins N14 engines, but the cats dont rely on gasket thickness to determine the fuel injector timing unlike the N14's, thats a fun repair to do! i did fix the leak on the driver's side of the engine, the oil return casting in the block for the HEUI fuel system has a plate cover with a large oring that seals the plate to the block, the oring was very stiff, brittle, and flat, it really leaked when the engine was cold, replaced it and no leaks there. sorry for the long post, I just thought i would share my teeny tiny bit of knowledge that i have on the 3116 engine.

wes
2010 Ram Mega cab, Deep water pearl blue/tan two tone, Cooper ATP's, Retrosolutions 55w 4300k HID's, ARP 625's, GDP S3 intake horn/grid reloc. & air boss plate, S&B intake w. scoop, Sinister Egr del., H&S MM w. OD tuning, Dia. Eye 5" TBE, 437/963 @ 2013 Fall Brawl

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimig View Post
my dad has a 3116 in his snapon tool truck, that thing is a pig, but i know that there is something wrong with it, from the small knowledge that ive gathered on this engine, it sounds like it needs a overhead adjustment the valves and the injector syncronization needs to be checked. they also had issues with the injector bore seats in the head coming loose, which would alow compression to get into the fuel system, and it really kills the power, also they dont like the be idled, and generally seems to hurt them. i have some oil leaks to fix, the cam boxes are leaking, but they can only be taken off once the rockers, and push rods are taken off, just like the Cummins N14 engines, but the cats dont rely on gasket thickness to determine the fuel injector timing unlike the N14's, thats a fun repair to do! i did fix the leak on the driver's side of the engine, the oil return casting in the block for the HEUI fuel system has a plate cover with a large oring that seals the plate to the block, the oring was very stiff, brittle, and flat, it really leaked when the engine was cold, replaced it and no leaks there. sorry for the long post, I just thought i would share my teeny tiny bit of knowledge that i have on the 3116 engine.

wes
If it's a HEUI there's no rack to syncronize.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
wdimig

Member`s Gallery
it's a 96' 185hp, soo it probably is mechanical, my bad on that. that would make sense. he's probably going to run it unit it blows, and then we will probably put another engine in it........do i see a cummins sitting in it??????

wes
2010 Ram Mega cab, Deep water pearl blue/tan two tone, Cooper ATP's, Retrosolutions 55w 4300k HID's, ARP 625's, GDP S3 intake horn/grid reloc. & air boss plate, S&B intake w. scoop, Sinister Egr del., H&S MM w. OD tuning, Dia. Eye 5" TBE, 437/963 @ 2013 Fall Brawl

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
IKNOWEVERYTHING

Name: IKNOWEVERYTHING
Title: Know it all
Member`s Gallery
I used to work on 3116's they are less than idea engines the early verisons had problems with injector cups cracking/leaking fuel into the cooling system,run hot because no one looks at the water pump belt (why put a belt to small to fit over the harmonic balancer,that only runs the water pump and is a bastard to adjust? Good thinkin Cat) general low power,eat altornators and batterys do to the intake grid heater staying on for something like 3 mins straight. All this in a Chubby/gmc chassis.....yaa !

Happy to not work on them any more !! ! !

IKE

Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
wdimig

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKNOWEVERYTHING View Post
I used to work on 3116's they are less than idea engines the early verisons had problems with injector cups cracking/leaking fuel into the cooling system,run hot because no one looks at the water pump belt (why put a belt to small to fit over the harmonic balancer,that only runs the water pump and is a bastard to adjust? Good thinkin Cat) general low power,eat altornators and batterys do to the intake grid heater staying on for something like 3 mins straight. All this in a Chubby/gmc chassis.....yaa !

Happy to not work on them any more !! ! !

IKE
yea i dont even want to spend the money, to get the tools to do the injector syncronization, you hit the nail on the head about them eating alternators, the grid heaters do stay on for an obnoxious amout of time, i sometimes think that they are just stuck on, and then the light will go out. like i said, it runs, but that's about it, very low on power, it had a little over 150k miles on it, and the majority of that is city driving, and i know he idles the heck out of it. like maybe 4-6 hours a day.

wes

Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
wdimig

Member`s Gallery
soo we were doing the brakes and some other things yesterday, and we decided to pull the aftercooler to clean the radiator, got eveything unbolted, amnd was working on getting it removed, when i noticed tha the tank on the cool side of the cooler was moving, not only was it moving, it was split!, by the time i got it out of the truck, the whole end of the cooler had just about ripped off!!!!!!!!!!! soooo i kinda figured out why the truck dint have any power, or wasnt building boost, the cac pipes didnt really look dirty, soo i cleaned the boots up, and hopefully will be getting a new, or rebuilt aftercooler today. hopefully this is all what the problem was......

Closed Thread