Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #341
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Where are the bars in the 4 link at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #342
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Where are the bars in the 4 link at

I got my wife taking pics... this what I have for 20mins of arguing, thanks Austin. Lol

Sorry I couldn’t get a pic of the lower bar, maybe later. Im pretty sure it is one hole up from the bottom. The lower bar sits level with the ground.

Click the image to open in full size.

2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Last edited by SPEEDSHIFT; 05-05-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #343
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery

Old 05-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #344
97rada

Member`s Gallery
That’s a really long instant center man. With radials you are going to want to shorted that up, get it above the get it above the anti squat line a bit. This will drive the tire into the ground and create more traction. Also will want to make sure it doesn’t squat much.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #345
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That’s a really long instant center man. With radials you are going to want to shorted that up, get it above the get it above the anti squat line a bit. This will drive the tire into the ground and create more traction. Also will want to make sure it doesn’t squat much.

Okay, so I need to move the front of the upper bar down a hole or two?

Old 05-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #346
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Any particular excel sheet/program you use to figure instant center and anti-squat and all that jazz? I have one from Pirate4x4 that I tinkered with years ago. Or do you just crunch out the math with your ME background?

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 05-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #347
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Any particular excel sheet/program you use to figure instant center and anti-squat and all that jazz? I have one from Pirate4x4 that I tinkered with years ago. Or do you just crunch out the math with your ME background?

There are a few methods of going about suspension stuff. Some people use a hole spread method and understand what a bar change should do to the physics of the vehicle and make adjustments and observe.
Others use programs to tell Them where the bars are ect and go from there.

I personally suggest getting Jerry bickels chassis performance book and reading it. Understand what the bars are doing and how the forces are acting on the vehicle ect.

Personally I have tim mccamis program that I have our brackets in. Never once used it. We have throw bar settings in my truck with the intentions of doing a certain thing to the tire and tune the shocks and observe what happens. Having good shock people behind you is a huge help.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #348
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
That Pirate4x4 one will get you some decent info though. And a nice trick I learned, put some zip ties on every shock piston as low as they'll go. Do a launch and see how high they are. You can turn your shocks and suspension a lot better knowing exactly how far they squat on takeoff!

Old 05-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #349
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
That Pirate4x4 one will get you some decent info though. And a nice trick I learned, put some zip ties on every shock piston as low as they'll go. Do a launch and see how high they are. You can turn your shocks and suspension a lot better knowing exactly how far they squat on takeoff!

Goal for my truck is little to no squat and actually to get the shock to extend and plant the tire

Old 05-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #350
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Goal for my truck is little to no squat and actually to get the shock to extend and plant the tire
I could be wrong on this, but I've always aimed for 30% rebound and 70% compression at ride in height. Then you target using most of your shock travel in compression during a launch to soak up any of the harsh stuttering from the suspension. So if you're getting down to the last 10% of compression in the shock but never bottoming out, you still have damping/control over your chassis with a little bit of margin for unknowns.
I do understand the idea of anti-squat and 'pushing' the tire into the pavement, but it just seems like it'd set you up for a bouncy launch.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #351
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I could be wrong on this, but I've always aimed for 30% rebound and 70% compression at ride in height. Then you target using most of your shock travel in compression during a launch to soak up any of the harsh stuttering from the suspension. So if you're getting down to the last 10% of compression in the shock but never bottoming out, you still have damping/control over your chassis with a little bit of margin for unknowns.

I do understand the idea of anti-squat and 'pushing' the tire into the pavement, but it just seems like it'd set you up for a bouncy launch.

That shock setup is traditional, but it’s intention is to not dead hook a slick and wad it all up sending it into tire shake.
Anti squat is how every radial car gets Down the track. Ryan’s nova didn’t squat when leaving. It drives the tire down and goes. With good shocks and proper setup it doesn’t bounce ect.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #352
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That shock setup is traditional, but it’s intention is to not dead hook a slick and wad it all up sending it into tire shake.
Anti squat is how every radial car gets Down the track. Ryan’s nova didn’t squat when leaving. It drives the tire down and goes. With good shocks and proper setup it doesn’t bounce ect.
That's interesting. Maybe I need to do some reading.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #353
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That's interesting. Maybe I need to do some reading.

I will say very few books will have that info anymore. It’s very new technology. I would look up mark menscer and his articles on the subject

Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #354
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Man I love this thread and I've no so much as stepped foot on a drag strip much less ran anything down one. But it is super cool seeing you racers discuss this stuff. SUPER COOL! Thanks!

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #355
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Yessir, I appreciate the help Austin.

I pulled the head Monday and found out it is warped .012”... block is good so I am going to have Longs deck the head and I will go back together with the 625s I was going to put in my dually along with the marine MLS gasket via Maumau Diesel.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #356
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Figured I would update this thread since I haven’t in a while. I decided to upgrade the nitrous system to help get off the line, upgrade to an 849 ECM with EFI Live, and upgrade (I hope)to a manual master cylinder.

The last few passes I made, I couldn’t get the brakes to hold boost at the line and it seemed my CTS2 was off, even though the ECM saw correct pressure... Even with 30psi at the launch it still wouldn’t hit the tires how I would like, so with a lot of advice from Phillip Franklin I decided to make some changes.

I now have a Nitrous Express Maximizer 5 and three stages of nitrous I can control. With the 849 ECM I can use a staging limiter off a button mounted on the brake pedal. I will roll into the first bulb and start building boost, once I make 10psi the first stage will come on, spraying a smallish .030-.050” jet that will help build boost faster to 25-30psi at the hit, and that should really help get it off the line. I have been just using a WOT switch, so it was fuel only for at least a few feet. Once on boost at the line I go to 100% throttle and the ECM will hold it at the boost level I choose in the tune. Then once I leave, I release the brake (and switch) and the ECM goes to full fuel and I can start ramping in more nitrous if I need it with the other two big solenoids via the MX5 and/or the scramble button.

I am thinking about starting with a .052 spool jet, and ramping in a small .036 jet either at WOT or a little before the 60ft for the second stage, it just depends what the track will hold. Then I will have the third stage for my scramble button, but I don’t see myself using that until I get a built bottom end.

I rewired pretty much everything in the truck, I cleaned up the engine harness and repinned it for the 849, then added the wiring for the nitrous activation and staging limiter. I added a mechanical boost gauge, and trans temp gauge on the shifter.

I also added a 45mm Hypergate to relieve some drive pressure with all the nitrous.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #357
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Lookin damn good, amigo

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #358
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Why did you go to a manual master

Old 06-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #359
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Lots of attention to detail goes a long ways. Looks great man

Old 06-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #360
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote: