Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
HillbillyKirk

Name: HillbillyKirk
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Building a E model.

I recently blew a head gasket & found out that my block(6TS) is junk. It cracked between 2 & 3 and it goes from bore to bore. I’ve got a 1LW core motor that I was wanting to build for my flat top(play toy) but now it’s gotta be used for my work truck. I’m gonna put the accert crank,rods & pistons in it. It went to the machine shop today. My questions here are, what kind of pistons are the best to use? I kinda want to use the IPD’s but there are 18:1 & 16:1’s, 1 piece & 2 piece.
I am using the 130-9710 cam & 58 injectors. I hand the BW turbo with 82mm wheel & 164 ar. Anyone got info on the IPd’s and if there’s a dealer here who sells them?

Last edited by HillbillyKirk; 03-17-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Building a E model.

16:1 definitely and there is only one choice for Acert rods and that’s one piece. Cam is good but the turbo needs to go. I hate 58’s BUT since you’re using the Acert rotating assembly they will be ok. I have a friend that’s an IPD dealer.

Again use that turbo as a door stop. And definitely O-Ring the head or it will blow another gasket. No amount of liner protrusion or block/head decking will make it hold long especially with power.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 03-17-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
What’s wrong with 58’s? What turbo is the one to run? Can you pm me the dealer info?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
How those 58’s spray pattern gonna mate with an acert piston?

Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyKirk View Post
What’s wrong with 58’s? What turbo is the one to run? Can you pm me the dealer info?
Honestly 58s are pretty hard on pistons, but usually only see that with the 2 piece pistons that the issues come up.

One thing you didn’t mention is what you HP target is.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
How those 58’s spray pattern gonna mate with an acert piston?
They manage, Acert injector isn’t really backwards compatible with the older pistons, but old injector on Acert piston seems to work.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:35 AM   #7
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
They manage, Acert injector isn’t really backwards compatible with the older pistons, but old injector on Acert piston seems to work.

Other way around,but the bowl of the 16:1 is larger so the 58’s should hit. Spray pattern of Acert injector is tighter to hit the 18:1 bowl.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #8
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Building a E model.

Quote:

They days of 58’s and a 600 file are long gone. With a good ecm file your can get more hp out of stock 57’s than most guys can work or want to buy turbo(s) for. Problem with larger injectors is the lack of a good matching ecm file that isn’t hot or smokey. 58’s can be worked around but some guys buy 55’s, 59’s or worse they have tips honed.

Like Smokin cat said what is your HP goal and what do you do with it?

Old 03-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
I’m not really shooting for a ton of HP, just nice healthy puller. I was gonna use the 58’s cause that’s what came stock in my 6ts and I have a brand new set. I don’t wanna burn anything up. Is there a option on a piston that would work or what injector works better?
I run a 601 file that I changed the FLS & FTS and run a 5232 on the injectors. It was a decent puller (not great) with that setup.

Last edited by HillbillyKirk; 03-18-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
Isn’t the spray pattern on 57’s real close to the 58’s?

Old 03-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
One thing you didn’t mention is what you HP target is.

I haul high, heavy & wide 70% of the time. Not looking for 1000hp but 700-800 range would be good. The torque is really what I’m after. I need to re-gear my truck (they’re brand new) but until I do, I have to rely on my motor with little help from gearing.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I’m not really shooting for a ton of HP, just nice healthy puller. I was gonna use the 58’s cause that’s what came stock in my 6ts and I have a brand new set. I don’t wanna burn anything up. Is there a option on a piston that would work or what injector works better?
I run a 601 file that I changed the FLS & FTS and run a 5232 on the injectors. It was a decent puller (not great) with that setup.

Acert injectors and 58’s flow close to the same. The real difference is the spray pattern. The 18:1 Acert piston bowl isn’t as large as the older 16:1 E models. If you put E model injectors in an Acert the fuel sprays outside the bowl. The 40pin ecm is very limited on fuel where a 70pin has more than you can use. That’s why big injectors are for when you have maxed out the Ecm.

Here is what happened to a liner when the fuel wasn’t hitting the bowl. Click the image to open in full size.

As far as turbo, you can’t beat Acert compounds for <800hp. Will spank any single turbo for useable power band and can be bought cheap because of the sheep that took them off for singles.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
Damn it man! How many miles are on that liner? I don’t want that in this motor. I’m gonna try to scrounge up a set of twins. I might be able to land a set of 211-3025 injectors. Will that set work ok?

Old 03-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Problem with larger injectors is the lack of a good matching ecm file that isn’t hot or smokey.
You do your own programming, why dont you create a matching file ?

It is quite easy, just mod the injector calibration map and then raise torque limiter maps to wanted hp level and adjust smoke limiter map to get good response without smoke.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
You do your own programming, why dont you create a matching file ?

It is quite easy, just mod the injector calibration map and then raise torque limiter maps to wanted hp level and adjust smoke limiter map to get good response without smoke.

Because it’s easier to just use the matching parts and mod from there. I’ve already had to cut fuel from a guys truck because he thought he needed 10% over 58’s.

Coming from a guy that knows nothing about it. Open a Cat file and define those maps for me genius. You don’t even tune your own truck.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Damn it man! How many miles are on that liner? I don’t want that in this motor. I’m gonna try to scrounge up a set of twins. I might be able to land a set of 211-3025 injectors. Will that set work ok?

I strongly suggest converting that engine to a 70pin ecm. 40pin stuff is just very limited. Just have to drill 2 holes for cam/crank sensors and put the harness on it

Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #17
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Acert injectors and 58’s flow close to the same. The real difference is the spray pattern. The 18:1 Acert piston bowl isn’t as large as the older 16:1 E models. If you put E model injectors in an Acert the fuel sprays outside the bowl. The 40pin ecm is very limited on fuel where a 70pin has more than you can use. That’s why big injectors are for when you have maxed out the Ecm.

Here is what happened to a liner when the fuel wasn’t hitting the bowl. Click the image to open in full size.

As far as turbo, you can’t beat Acert compounds for <800hp. Will spank any single turbo for useable power band and can be bought cheap because of the sheep that took them off for singles.
Those don't look like Cat liner o-rings(wrong colors). Is the liner itself Cat? Not that it would've made any difference in that case, just curious.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #18
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I strongly suggest converting that engine to a 70pin ecm. 40pin stuff is just very limited. Just have to drill 2 holes for cam/crank sensors and put the harness on it
I’m not interested in building a 1000hp truck that’s not driver friendly. I just want a nice healthy power plant that I can get reliability out of. My knowledge is limited and that’s why I’m here, but correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t the 40 pin files have a little more low end torque than the 70 pin files? I think the 70 pin files has a little more mid range torque but for what I do, I need the low end torque more than the mid or high end.
I’m not against using a 70pin, but if I can use what I have to achieve the end result, I’d rather just do that. I’m not sure about drilling holes, probably wouldn’t work out to good. Lol. Would the 211-3025’s be a better choice on injectors?

Last edited by HillbillyKirk; 03-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #19
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Were you runnin the listed cam b4 or no? With the cam and acert twins, you may be satisfied. I think tge twins will go a long way with torque

Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #20
HillbillyKirk

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Were you runnin the listed cam b4 or no? With the cam and acert twins, you may be satisfied. I think tge twins will go a long way with torque
Yes. I put this cam when I inframed it, but I didn’t have the Acert bottom in it then. I got 115k before I blew the head gasket.

Closed Thread