Unknown tune

Daniel74

Hello, I'm new to diesels and bought a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with 6.7 earlier this year. It is fully deleted and has an unknown tune and did not come with the tuner.

Runs great but i got the dreaded "Service required, See dealer now" message. I tried to delete with higher end code reader but no luck. tried all the variations of the brake, gas pedal reset, no joy. Finally decided i needed to reload a tune to the truck, so i purchased a used smarty jr67 and am waiting for it to arrive. Yes it is blue raced and ME ready. My question is....will it load over the unknown tune? if not, how do i get it back to stock without having to go to the dealer, and does anyone have the ME download they can email me so i have a backup copy should anything happen with the smarty JR?

thanks in advance for any light that can shed on the topic.

When the overhead says "service required - see dealer" does the instrument cluster say "DPF FULL"?

I have an '09. I'll get that code about every 6 months or so. The ECM times out between flashed due to a missing regen cycle. I just reflash the ECM and it goes away again. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Readers will not clear that code that I'm aware of.

Hello, I'm new to diesels and bought a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with 6.7 earlier this year. It is fully deleted and has an unknown tune and did not come with the tuner.

Runs great but i got the dreaded "Service required, See dealer now" message. I tried to delete with higher end code reader but no luck. tried all the variations of the brake, gas pedal reset, no joy. Finally decided i needed to reload a tune to the truck, so i purchased a used smarty jr67 and am waiting for it to arrive. Yes it is blue raced and ME ready. My question is....will it load over the unknown tune? if not, how do i get it back to stock without having to go to the dealer, and does anyone have the ME download they can email me so i have a backup copy should anything happen with the smarty JR?

thanks in advance for any light that can shed on the topic.

Yes, once you flash the ECM, whatever tune that is currently there is gone forever.

A Smarty tune is an ok tune, better can be had with EFILive.

The message that you're receiving is on the overhead console and can be permanently disabled if the tune is written correctly.

When the overhead says "service required - see dealer" does the instrument cluster say "DPF FULL"?

I have an '09. I'll get that code about every 6 months or so. The ECM times out between flashed due to a missing regen cycle. I just reflash the ECM and it goes away again. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Readers will not clear that code that I'm aware of.

Are you using a handheld programmer?

Also depending on the mileage on the truck, it may be time to swap out that CCV filter on top of the valve cover..

I've had the service now message on the overhead for as long as I can remember.
Truck isn't in limp mode is it? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you using a handheld programmer?

No, I'm using an H&S MiniMutt. It's MiniMaxx software loaded into XRT Pro hardware to save space but still have the display. I doubt there are too many around like it. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 0
I bought the smarty JR and it was delivered. I asked several times if it was unlocked and he said yes....got it ....and its vin locked :(.
I'm returning to him and he said he still has truck so hopefully this works out. He swears the guy who did the tune to the new tuner said it was unlocked.

Trust is hard to come by.

Before i sent it back, i went into the dtc mode to clear any codes and it didnt find any the first time, did it again and it flashed the overhead and cleared it...at least so far. It didn't give me code so i don't know what or how it did it, but its been gone for 4 days.

the seller seems to want to fix the issue with the smarty, so fingers crossed. I still want to have a tuner on hand in case anything happens to the tune or ecm.

No, I'm using an H&S MiniMutt. It's MiniMaxx software loaded into XRT Pro hardware to save space but still have the display. I doubt there are too many around like it. :D

attachment.php

What's the point of that?

The software is the same between Black Maxx/ Mini Maxx/ XRT Pro

Also, the mini maxx itself is smaller than the XRT Pro ...

Back