Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #41
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Something is making you question the pump and not the nozzles. What are we missing?

Squeaky Wheel

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
hydroshok

Name: hydroshok
Title: Covered in grease
Member`s Gallery
The nozzles are basically brand new. Who knows about the pump? I got it in with a bunch of parts. It runs great. I'm just trying to clean up the smoke. The tinting on the window made me think it was just a haze. I was riding with my windows down and it will smoke after 7-8PSI of boost. Anyone in Tampa want to let me do some wrenching at their place on the weekends? The place where I'm living frowns on working on vehicles lol.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #43
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
I'm going to set the timing back using a dial indicator over the holiday. I'll start at 16.5 and let everyone know what the 210 pump likes for timing.

Does anyone think I need more air? I talked with several people about this setup and everyone agreed it would be a clean 500HP easy. I did do a full rebuild with 3 angle valve job, headwork and delipped pistons though...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #44
bna5017

Name: bna5017
Member`s Gallery
Do you know where the pump is pin timed? If so, just set the engine at TDC and mark the balancer and go off of that to set the timing.

Your best bet may be to spill port time it to see where it is and go from there if you don't know where it is pinned. I'm not a big supporter of correlating a linear timing chart off of the plunger that moves in relation to a cam lobe that is obviously not circular..

Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #45
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
I can't find a chart for my pump so I was just going to pin time it (It's pinned at 11.5*) and use the dial indicator to move it up. I saw a conversion chart somewhere that said 1mm of lift = 1/2* of timing or something like that. I'll have to find it again. I marked off the harmonic balancer and used that method first. Tried spill port, but I must have screwed it up because it didn't even start.

I was just reading that more timing helps to clear up smoke. Maybe I'll just raise it real quick here in the parking lot while no one is looking using the harmonic marking method and see what happens...

Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #46
DieselMonster

Name: DieselMonster
Member`s Gallery
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=55821
here ya go .. P-pump ptiming chart

Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #47
Headcase98002

Name: Headcase98002
Member`s Gallery
I have a 190hp pump and from what I recall, they are very similar. I have mine set around 23°. Actually, I want to post a video this weekend for you guys to hear.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #48
bna5017

Name: bna5017
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroshok View Post
I can't find a chart for my pump so I was just going to pin time it (It's pinned at 11.5*) and use the dial indicator to move it up. I saw a conversion chart somewhere that said 1mm of lift = 1/2* of timing or something like that. I'll have to find it again. I marked off the harmonic balancer and used that method first. Tried spill port, but I must have screwed it up because it didn't even start.

I was just reading that more timing helps to clear up smoke. Maybe I'll just raise it real quick here in the parking lot while no one is looking using the harmonic marking method and see what happens...
I wouldn't bother with the plunger lift. Pin the pump, pin the engine, mark the balancer and add as many degrees as you want.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #49
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMonster View Post
I appreciate the effort man, but that does not have the 210HP pump on it anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase98002 View Post
I have a 190hp pump and from what I recall, they are very similar. I have mine set around 23°. Actually, I want to post a video this weekend for you guys to hear.
Thanks, I'll try bumping it up this Sunday and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bna5017 View Post
I wouldn't bother with the plunger lift. Pin the pump, pin the engine, mark the balancer and add as many degrees as you want.
That makes life easier. I'll gopher it Sunday and post the results

Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #50
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
Anyone want to guess where I'll start spraying fuel outside the bowl with delipped pistons or a good starting point? Also, at what point will I have to start giving it fuel to start?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #51
DieselMonster

Member`s Gallery
210 ?

I thought it was 180 to 215 , never herd of a 210 pump ? must be a 215 with the 180 plungers ?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #52
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
210 ?

I thought it was 180 to 215 , never herd of a 210 pump ? must be a 215 with the 180 plungers ?
From a bus engine I'm pretty sure.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #53
DieselMonster

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedtexan View Post
From a bus engine I'm pretty sure.
Never seen one .. I work on busses all the time , Interesting though, I'm sure i havent seen it al, , Good thing , I love seeing something new to me

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #54
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Never seen one .. I work on busses all the time , Interesting though, I'm sure i havent seen it al, , Good thing , I love seeing something new to me
I know it's a commercial engine. I had school bus in my head.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #55
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
I read somewhere it came on the ford 7.8Ls and the 8.3L Cummins. However, I have no clue because it wasn't hooked to a motor when I bought it.

I keep messing with the AFC every night after work. It is tuned pretty well now, but smokes like crazy at WOT. It is a haze when I get into boost with the starwheel 1/2 way. I had the starwheel all the way tight yesterday and it was a dog. Smoke screw all the way out.

I'm thinking move the AFC housing forward, tighten the starwheel and move the plate back. If that gives me no smoke, I'll mess with the timing later on when I have more time and a place to work.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #56
Headcase98002

Member`s Gallery
My 190hp(848) pump came from a 1997 ford school bus with a 5.9l cummins. Pretty sure the 210 is similar. It has the plungers of the 215 pump and a 160 cam.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #57
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
It runs best at 23*? Is it on the P24v in your sig?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #58
DieselMonster

Member`s Gallery
I was going to suggest that you shoudl time in like a 215 pump as it most likely has the 215 style plungers and hence the timing differences ( been reading about spill port timing ) , now it all seems to make sence ..

While this viedo is long, it does help remove some of the questions that i had concerning the pump in my dodge .. Hope this will help a bit

Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #59
Headcase98002

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroshok View Post
It runs best at 23*? Is it on the P24v in your sig?
Yes, it on the truck in my sig. I don't know if I would say best, but I was shooting for 21° and it went a little over. It started up with grid heater only in 0° weather without being plugged.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
hydroshok

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I was going to suggest that you shoudl time in like a 215 pump as it most likely has the 215 style plungers and hence the timing differences ( been reading about spill port timing ) , now it all seems to make sence ..
I've seen that one. You can also download a manual somewhere. I attached it for you. Here is a good link to spill port timing: http://www.dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcase98002 View Post
Yes, it on the truck in my sig. I don't know if I would say best, but I was shooting for 21° and it went a little over. It started up with grid heater only in 0° weather without being plugged.
My P24V didn't like to start in the cold at all, but I was running ~35* and had to use the throttle to start it. It ran awesome though. I may just leave it where it is because it starts instantly and runs great.

I'll try to get the afc tuned how I was thinking Sunday. That way I can tweak and test a bunch of times instead of tweak at night and hate driving it the next day lol.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ppump.pdf (378.5 KB, 0 views)

Closed Thread