Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
do we have puke emoticon?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't be opposed to a pod like that on the outside of the fender that had a small scoup on it that grabbed air and forced it inside into the air box. I think it would be cooler air. But that riser/snorkel thing....is hideous.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #23
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to a pod like that on the outside of the fender that had a small scoup on it that grabbed air and forced it inside into the air box. I think it would be cooler air. But that riser/snorkel thing....is hideous.
What would the cooler air prove? Your charge air temps give zero fuks on whether the air entering the compressor is 35c or 25c...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
What would the cooler air prove? Your charge air temps give zero fuks on whether the air entering the compressor is 35c or 25c...
I just always figured it would reduce the EGT a tad and help spool time if there was a few PSI in the box from the air being forced in...???...???

Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #25
sootie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I just always figured it would reduce the EGT a tad and help spool time if there was a few PSI in the box from the air being forced in...???...???
wishful thinking lol any change would be so minutely minuscule you would never see/feel it.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I have a temp probe inside my AFE air box. The air in it is always right at 10 deg lower than the AIT temp in the manifold. It seems the engine heats up the box and then the air inside rises quickly once it enters. Just seems like a motor would like cooler air....but like you said...there won't be any seat of pants difference.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
wishful thinking lol any change would be so minutely minuscule you would never see/feel it.
Quote:
I have a temp probe inside my AFE air box. The air in it is always right at 10 deg lower than the AIT temp in the manifold. It seems the engine heats up the box and then the air inside rises quickly once it enters. Just seems like a motor would like cooler air....but like you said...there won't be any seat of pants difference.
I would expect there to be some benefit. Not necessarily several HP or anything like that, but when pulling a grade at speed with a load an EGT reduction, even a slight one can make a difference, and adding just a slight MPG improvement at freeway speeds can mean a big difference over time...

Do you think GM and others pursued ram-air on cars and trucks just for the fun of it??? I'm sure they put a lot of money into the intake in the L5P, and there seem to be some benefits from it...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #28
sootie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
But the motor is never ever seeing that cooler air. The only cooling that is happening is from the intercooler. That charge air is superheated by the turbo then cooled thru the intercooler and pushed into the manifold. My point being, the atmosphere temp entering your air intake can vary up to 30* and have zero effect on charge air temp.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
But the motor is never ever seeing that cooler air. The only cooling that is happening is from the intercooler. That charge air is superheated by the turbo then cooled thru the intercooler and pushed into the manifold. My point being, the atmosphere temp entering your air intake can vary up to 30* and have zero effect on charge air temp.
Totally understand.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #30
Shawdrainage

Name: Shawdrainage
Title: Shaw
Member`s Gallery
These are really popular on the newer Power Wagons. But the Power Wagons have a lot smaller following then a normal 2500/3500. And those owners spend a lot more time off pavement.

Closed Thread