Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
t800 doors and steering box adjustment

Issue #1 Door gaskets and such need to be done. Ive already dicked around with new strikers and adjustments. Wind comes in at the latch and at the top corner. Should I look at anything else other than gaskets?

Issue #2 steering box adjustment. No hole in the frame. Best you just take the box off or is there a trick? I can't get it right enough on the frame there's too much slop for my liking. I try doing it the way TRW recommends (take drag link off and apply 10 ft lbs to pitman arm by hand and eliminate slop) but I just cant tighten it enough.

I bet there's more than a few tricks you guys know of for this stuff.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
t800 doors and steering box adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Issue #1 Door gaskets and such need to be done. Ive already dicked around with new strikers and adjustments. Wind comes in at the latch and at the top corner. Should I look at anything else other than gaskets?

Issue #2 steering box adjustment. No hole in the frame. Best you just take the box off or is there a trick? I can't get it right enough on the frame there's too much slop for my liking. I try doing it the way TRW recommends (take drag link off and apply 10 ft lbs to pitman arm by hand and eliminate slop) but I just cant tighten it enough.

I bet there's more than a few tricks you guys know of for this stuff.

Gaskets for the door or it needs bent or “adjusted” with a 2x4 stuck in it and pushed in where it’s leaking. I’ve got a W that leaks at the bottom corner and I think the wind caught it and bent it but no one will fess up.

If the box is loose buy a new one (not reman). You can adjust them but if you don’t do it right it can lock up driving.

I went through 3 reman boxes before I got one that didn’t wander.

Check your axle U bolts. Had a 98 that drivers side was loose and made it handle like azz. Didn’t notice until someone turned the wheel and watched it move.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 03-29-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
The box is maybe a couple years old. I wouldn't be surprised if I got a lemon though. I've done my fair share of adjusting but I've never had one like this.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by allan5oh; 03-29-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The box is maybe a couple years old. I wouldn't be surprised if I got a lemon though. I've done my fair share of adjusting but I've never had one like this.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Well you can do what you want but there is a fine line between tight and locked.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
I put a reman box on a W9 a coule months ago. 2nd one in as many years, top seal started leaking inside a few weeks. I second the new

Old 03-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
I will have to go through my receipts to see what I bought. If I can't get it to my liking there won't be any hesitation to change it out. I do remember core return so that points to reman. Bah.

As for the door do remember the wind grabbing it one time.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
New steering box time. It's a 3 year old TRW reman. From extreme left it is fine, no slop and doesn't bind. But you go about 1.5 turns to the right (still left of center) and it gets sloppy plus it binds. This is with the drag link removed. The steering shaft and everything else is fine.

What a waste of money.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
New steering box time. It's a 3 year old TRW reman. From extreme left it is fine, no slop and doesn't bind. But you go about 1.5 turns to the right (still left of center) and it gets sloppy plus it binds. This is with the drag link removed. The steering shaft and everything else is fine.

What a waste of money.

You can thank the A-holes that price shopped them and forced TRW to make them cheaper, not better.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

What a waste of money.
Why not ditch power steering all together. Pick up some bsfc's

Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Why not ditch power steering all together. Pick up some bsfc's

Hells yea get a 24” bone white bus wheel and fingerless leather gloves to go with that headset.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
You can thank the A-holes that price shopped them and forced TRW to make them cheaper, not better.
Ends up costing more.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ends up costing more.

WE know that but they only look at purchase price.

Closed Thread