6.0 passenger side intercooler hose keeps blowing off

hinder06

Ok After Buttoning My Truck Up From Previous Project IThought Everything Was Running Great , Wrong . After Only A Day Truck Started Losing Power Turbo Feels Like Not Making Boost Or Whatever . So Then Off PoPs My Intercooler HoseFrom Passenger Side From Intercooler Part Not Turbo End For Some Reason ITightened TheM Just Like They Were . SO Today IPulled The Vgt Selenoid To Inspect It Looked Fine Spring Worked Orings Ok But Who Knows . Then ITook The Ebv Sensor Out Cleaned The Tube To Manifold . Then Cleaned My Intercooler And Even Applied Some Spray Adhesive Retightened It And Now ICan't Even Get Out The Driveway Without It Blowing Off . It Feels Like No Power Then Boom Off Blows The Intercooler . Can Someone Me Whats Going On .

Have you checked for.a.blockage in your intercooler ?
As far as your tube blowing off, clean both areas inside and out with good brake parts cleaner and then apply a small amount of Dawn dish soap on the inside of the intercooler boot and reassemble. The soap will help the boot slide on and when it dries it will become tacky and help keep it stuck.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeepyjohn Haven't Checked That Yet I'm Sure It Could Use A Cleaning Out . Just Little Unsure As To How It Could Block Up After Running So Good The Day Before . I'm Open To Any Ideas This Is My First Diesel And First Turbo Just Trying Learn As IGo . Been Kinda Wondering If There's Leak In Turbo System I've Missed .

The crankcase vents into the air intake ducting between the air filter and the turbo. As the turbo sucks fresh air into the ducting, it also sucks oil vapor when the crankcase vents. Over time, this oil coats the inside of the intake entire intake air system. It there is a leak in the intercooler boots (even micro) the oily air will find its way out, and then that lubes the connection, making the boot blow off.

If you want to keep the boot on for a longer period, remove all the ducting and wash with a degreaser. Remove the intercooler and flush it with solvent and then detergent.
Consider rerouting the crankcase vent through a filter, or to ambient air.

Thanks For The Advice Guys I'm Wondering If I Some Kind Boost Problem As INever Had ProblemWith These Pipes Blowing Off Before. Truck Has No Power Then When IRomp On It Off Comes Pipe . ITook Everyones Advice Cleaned Retightened This Time It Popped Off At Turbo Instead Usual Spot At Intercooler . Anyone Else Had This Problem . Seems Like No Matter What Its Going To Build Enough Pressure Then Give Loose .

Thanks The Advice I'm Prob Going To Address That Next Bad As I Hate To Pull That Thing Out . As Of Today I Cleaned The Blue Boots Well And Made Sure Rubber Lip Was In The Groove Properly After Applying Some Rtv Gasket Stuff I'm Letting It Set A Full Day Before I Try And Romp On It Some More . Hope They Stay Put This Time .

Well I Ruled Out The Intercooler Being Clogged , Just Pulled Off Drivers Side Intercooler Hose Air Was Blowing Through Strong Had ASmall Leak There So Had Pull It Off Clean Out And Tighten It Again. Only Thing IRemoved Was Air Box To Get It Out. Still Have Same Problem With Truck No Power On Take Off And Alot Back Flutter . I'd Swear Turbo Was Sticking But IJust Cleaned The Thing Anyways Its Back To Where ICan't Climb A Hill And IJust Put ALot Money In This Thing Not Able To Put Anymore In It At This Time . Kind Of At My WHits End . Any Ideas Feel Free Comment .

On Previous Project I Replaced Oil Cooler , Seals At Hpop , Injector Seals , New Air Filter , New Oil Filter , NewFuel Filter, Checked Ficm Read 48 Volts Egr Delete Kit . Cleaned Turbo Real Good The Shafts And Vanes And Unison Ring Were In Great Condition .

Ok Update On This I Decided To Take The Truck Out Earlier Tonight Even Though It Was Gutless .I Shut It Off For Fifteen Min Or So While AT Store And Had The Accessory On Listening To The Radio ( Now IDon't Know If ThIs Was Connected In Anyway Or Just Coincidence) But When I Fired The Truck Up Again All The Sudden My Power Came Back And Turbo Appeared Be Working Properly Again . So Idk Maybe This Means Something To Someone Or Could Be Nothing But Anyhow Going Keep InvestigatIng And Trying Figure This Out Can't Afford The Mechanics Just TryingSave Myself Money. Thanks ALot For Help So Far Guys I Will Update With Any New Discoveries.

Thanks For Info I'm Check That Out Hadn't Really Thought Of Ground Or Ficm I've Checked Ficm Was Reading 48 + , But Have Read They Can Be Faulty Even With Good Readings Idk . Will Be Something To Look Into. I'm Open To Ideas I've Reached The Extent Of My Knowledge.

Another thing to check and/or replace is the EBPS. It is on a bracket, bolted to the drivers side valve cover. They are known to stick, causing the ECM to throw off the vvt mapping.
Also the wires at the plug for the EBPS can get rubbed by the lower coolant hose on the degas bottle, causing the wires to cross each other and overspeed the turbocharger.

Thanks For The Advice I Pulled That Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Out And Cleaned Tube Previously I Am Suspect Of It Being Faulty . Couldnt Believe Those Wer $100 Or So . I Read That They Now Have Done Away With That Sensor And Reflash The Computer To Delete It. I Might Start With Just Replacing The Plug With Pigtail . My Problem Still Persist Just Tryin Be Patient Find Clues Track It Down .

Where are you located? Have someone do a vane position test to rule out turbo. I have a good turbo here that I am sending in for a core with the rest of my stuff shortly.

Thanks I Check On That When Get Funds I Really Don't Know Much About Turbo When ICleaned It The Turbo Shafts Were Solid With No Play And Didn't See Any Wear Thought It Looked Really Good But Yeah IAgree Something Is Not Right And IWill Look Into That . I Live In Arkansas.

Update On My Truck The Low Oil Pressure Reading Turned Out To Be The Oil Pressure Sensor Like Someone Had Stated On Another Post , Got One For 21$ Off Ebay So Atleast That Problem Is Solved.

Back