Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
megastang

Name: megastang
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Identifying a possible fake HX82

Got an HX82 from ebay. Guy says it's genuine and I haven't seen enough hx82s to know what to look for. The counterfeit info on holsets site seems to be for smaller turbos. The one thing that really mad me start wondering is the compressor wheel. There is pitting up near the top of the wheel but between fins at the base it has machining marks but it looks more like they made a mold from a billet wheel to cast the wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hx82 wheel.jpg (204.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Could easily be a reman. What is the part number on it? Just an FYI but a lot of Holset wheels are made from a mold that was made on a machine.

North American Turbo

Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
megastang

Member`s Gallery
The part number is 2480258. I didn't consider that it may be a reman. It doesn't say reman on the tag. Is there anything I should be looking at to see if it may be a fake?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Honestly the fakes are getting very good. They are putting holset casting numbers in, using holset tags, and laser engraving parts with holset numbers. The only ways we have found knockoffs was by the box which will be Holset but have chinese all over it, the quality which is where they make mistakes like not cleaning shavings out of the bearing housing well enough, the bearings which tend to be made of a low rockwell material, or by the distributor. We signed up for an online database which shows major supply chains within the industry. We type in a company and it tells us if they import, how much, and where from. Shocking to say the least.

I doubt it is a knockoff to be honest. The remans typically end in an RX from Holset. Are you sure this is not a titanium compressor wheel? The cast titanium wheels do have a small amount of pitting from Garrett and Holset.

North American Turbo

Old 10-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
megastang

Member`s Gallery
The box has a whole lot of tape on it but what I can see it seems to have every language on it but chinese. I don't know if it might have a titanium compressor, I have no idea how to tell. I made a typo on the part number. It's a 2840258. Taking a close look at the machining it doesn't seem to be on the level I would expect from an OEM. the compressor housing struts for the inducer have small burrs on them from cutting of the MWE groove. The compressor backing plate, compressor inlet and MWE groove all have surface finishes that I would consider good, but not to the level of what I would expect from a genuine unit. This is my first big big Holset so I'm not sure if this is typical or not.

Thanks for the quick response!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
It is more than likely OEM to be honest man. Machining has gone down the chitter from the OEMs in terms of surface finish and deburring over the past 5 years. Material quality has gone to complete garbage. We can tell a distinct difference machining 10+ year old compressor housings compared to new. Every major manufacturer gets components made in China now. Probably plays a large role in all of that.

North American Turbo

Closed Thread