Sponsorships, When, How From the "Big Name" Diesel Performance Folks

Billysgoat

The ANTI-BLING!
Since Andy (TooMuchBoost) brought it up in the Pro Street thread I thought I would start a new one on the subject of how we can get more money to DHRA and the competitors from the folks who directly benefit from it, the "Big Name" diesel performance folks. Andy put it best, so I just copied his post from the Pro Street thread to here.

Since fiscal survival of the DHRA and the cost of racers wasting motors is a honest concern money seems to the be answer to both questions.

IMO not only the DHRA but the day to day diesel enthusiast needs to address where this money would come from. The obvious answer is sponsors but why doesn't OUR sport have sponsorship from the huge companies we patronize and pad their pockets every day? Gasser racing series have sponsors like these.

A simple multiple-board search across the specific truck brands produces the same signature list of mega-dollar companies that the diesel enthusiast advertises for free in his signature and in his posts yet what do these major companies give back to us and racing/pulling organizations like the DHRA?

Not much if anything and that needs to be addressed sooner than later. If each major manufacturer gave something back to the racers in terms of general sponsorships the DHRA wouldn't operate on a shoestring budget and could pay serious purses to many places in each class of pulling and racing. If first place paid $10K I bet many would waste a motor to let it all hang out and if 5th or 6th place paid say $1500 I bet more would show up. It takes money...

The way I see things its the smaller diesel shops/manufacturers that are sponsoring events not the big guys and that is wrong when you consider what we as a group spend/have spent!

Now, I say lets list the BIG companies that have made some BIG money off diesel pickups and hit them up for sponsorship money. Do you see any reason why they shouldn't be at least seriously asked?

Companies like:

Autometer
NOS
Nitrous Express
Van Aaken
Edge
Superchip/SCT
Silverline
MBRP
DiPricol
Banks
BD

Dislaimer:
This list isn't complete by far and isn't meant to insinuate that these companies do or don't give back to competitive diesel sled pulling and drag racing but it does open things up for discussion. Feel free to keep adding to this list and then determine what is going to be done with the list.

Last edited:
I get many calls from racers asking for sponsorships, and I ask them all the same quesitons:

1. What have you done above and beyond anyone else?
2. What will you do for us?
3. How will giving you money make a return on my investment?

Usually, I get the same answer: If you give me a sponsorship, I'm Gonna, Should, Might, or some other statement of what they are going to do, not what they have done.

I struggle myself with sponsorships, as I feel that if someone give me money, I owe them a return on their investment above and beyond what they spend.

Remember, it is a business relationship.

What about companies like Summit or Jegs I spend alot with them

Also
Zex
ARP
Mothers
AFE
Mag Hytec
Red Line Oil
Pro Comp
Centerline Wheels
Weld Wheels
Goodyear
Firestone
B F Goodrich
Superlift

Just a few more

The reason mainstream vendor, and for that matter the large diesel vendors aren’t sending sponsorship proposals in the direction of diesel racers, is the demographics of the races is not sufficiently to support the dollar invested in exposure. You have to be creative, get out to mainstream markets. Contrary to the commonly held belief the real market for the large vendors in the diesel industry, is not the diesel performance enthusiast, this is a very small percentage. The greatest market share and I would venture to say 90% is the diesel owner, which is probably not a member of DHRA or NHRDA. This owner is a member of AARP, drives a new diesel trucks to pull a travel trailers, horse trailers, of racecar trailers. This owner wants a little more power, and better fuel economy, they want something that is safe and makes them feel safe in protecting their expensive investment. Want to get out there to gram a major mainstream vendor, show them a proven track record of positive public exposure, market penetration, and journalistic coverage. Don’t give them a expense list , give them a list of your itinerary, what media you plan on exposing you actions , and how you have done this in the past.

I will say that helping racers has some fiscal rewards. Everyone involved with getting our trucks quicker has made $$ off of it that I'm aware of. Not vague PR image stuff, but a burst of sales when we do something interesting.

But here's the problem:

We are freaks. Nobody in their right mind buys a diesel pickup to beat up on Vipers. The biggest market for diesel aftermarket parts is mild tunes, mufflers, lift kits, and chrome.

So the companies that can actually see a profit by sponsoring diesel racing tend to be the medium to small shops who sell race stuff. And the best they can usually do is parts or discounts, or contigencies.

So what we did was to open up a "tuning" business so we can directly profit off parts that work on our trucks. "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" type of stuff.

Is that the answer for everyone? Probably not. So far it's working here.

ARP I know for a fact they have given a number of stud, and bolts to diesel racers,

AFE project X has one

Weld Wheels they are currently in bankruptcy , but they gave a few sets of wheels last year , I got one
Goodyear I did get Hoosers tires last year or the year before

Mickey Thomson is giving to the diesel world .

NOS
Nitrous Express nitrous expresss is on several trucks, and Mike has given freely to many individuals on here . I have vouched for them in a few occasions.
Van Aaken
Edge I am sure they spent upwards or ¾ of a million on the wolverine
Superchip/SCT
Silverline I do believe that is on Eric’s dragster
MBRP I like the exhaust on project X and a few others they have so genouusly given,
DiPricol
Banks this is one near and dear , and they spend a lot promoting diesel motor sports .
BD I know they spend a lot , and give freely
What about ATS they are very generous with parts,
What about Snow Water injection
Dennis Perry is very willing to help
NADP helped , providing a indestructible transmission to Project X , and I do believe that there is a fine looking orange truck out there. And the list goes on

With the amount of events I run and the interest in the truck, I get many, many diesel truck owners asking me questions on how to help out with power/mileage. Just because I'm racing it, doesn't mean I can only sell race parts.

I just got back from a pro event with well over 600 race entrys. Just the amount of diesel tow rigs there was staggering. Fast diesel trucks get a LOT of attention at these type of events. Many car racers with tow rigs, as well as, the general public approach me to get advice on a chip, exhaust, etc.

I feel that a fast diesel truck, running in major national events, can sell a lot of tuners, exhausts, intakes, etc. to the mainstream diesel truck owners.

Just my .02

IdahoRob said:
With the amount of events I run and the interest in the truck, I get many, many diesel truck owners asking me questions on how to help out with power/mileage. Just because I'm racing it, doesn't mean I can only sell race parts.

I just got back from a pro event with well over 600 race entrys. Just the amount of diesel tow rigs there was staggering. Fast diesel trucks get a LOT of attention at these type of events. Many car racers with tow rigs, as well as, the general public approach me to get advice on a chip, exhaust, etc.

I feel that a fast diesel truck, running in major national events, can sell a lot of tuners, exhausts, intakes, etc. to the mainstream diesel truck owners.

Just my .02

you hit the nail on the head

Put some Bobo tuning stickers on that thing and make me Donald Trump Jr!
IdahoRob said:

Just my .02

IdahoRob said:

Just my .02

Great point. There are markets that are untapped as far as you can see. the main thaing that folks have to realize is that the sport of diesel dragracing or pulling for that matter is relatively small, and many comainies that produce those products are not as wealthy as your Edlebrocks and Morosos. They will be[very wealthy] in time, but this sport and demographic is still in it's infancy IMO. After talking with several people, I believe we are getting closer, but it will take time to grow this sport.

Well I can vouch for the some of the "Big" companies, or manufactures. That we are in the middle of trying to be able to give back to sport and the participants involved with it. I know that us and some others companies are in the middle of trying to get some things worked out so that we can give back. We would love to try and help out as much as possible to try and help grow the sport. Now for sponsorships, it is hard to try and deside on a sponsorship for someone due to everyone that does want and need one to get to the next level. We will have to step up and help and try to sponsor those out there that want to and are trying to get the sport and themselves to the next level. The thing is that we have to know what is going to be brought to the table to makes it worth each others time and money to invest in. We want to help out where and when we can. I think what is the works is going to be very benneficial for everyone and very exciting for the sport.

When I say sponsor I mean sponsor the race/pulling series not the individual truck.

Meaning 10 million in annual sales XYZ Diesel Widget Company might contribute $1000, $5000 even $10000 (could be a real dream) to an organization like DHRA to sponsor the racing series just like Diesel Power has been a DHRA sponsor.

I know many of these companies have provided products either directly to or through a retailer to a racer or sled puller but that doesn't increase the race /pulling payout which this sport desperately needs.

I also disagree that diesel drag racing is still circus sideshow freaks. Every generic test and tune day I've been to over the last several years has 12-15 second diesel p/u's wearing out gassers. Pro Street has wowed the racing community by making 9 and 10 second 5500# passes but they are going to continue to waste motors and trannies as they go faster just as they have since the beginning of diesel racing. They deserve purses that allow them to let it all hang out without fear of affording to replace yet another turbo. On the same token if there is real money in bracket racing a participant might just waste that 3K tranny to win 5K all in the name of racing and showing out.

I say politely that the diesel community as a whole spends countless of millions of dollars per year with say 25 large companies and those companies should at least be asked if they each would like to donate annually to our sport in which we compete with their products. Lets use my previous magical number of 25 and assume hypothetically we could talk them into donating just $1000 each to the DHRA purse account. This pittance of money from each large company just theoretically added $25,000 to the DHRA purse for 2007. That is pocket change in one single gasser race but look what $25K would do to the DHRA 2007 purse! Considering the number of modded diesels out there its kind of sad that an extra $25K is something to get excited about but we have to start somewhere whether in theory or reality. Once they are asked to contribute we deserve to know who declined not to bad mouth them but to choose individually where we spend our hard earned dollars.

I'm still for sponsoring the trucks on an individual basis but I feel at this point in the game that is between the truck owner and the manufacturer (meaning not our business as diesel community).

All I'm saying is there is an abundance of affluent corporations making money on diesels that can donate a relatively small sum to a competitive organization that is accessible to the diesel community like the DHRA and in return make our hobby much more financially enjoyable which will attract more racers and more fans as the pot grows and more places pay out.

Am I asking too much at this point in diesel motorsports?

Last edited:
Well I am actually talking about being a supporter also, to which we can help out with the purse at events. It might have sounded alittle misleading but we are trying to get some things done like that. I do agree with you full heartly about being a main sponsor, so lets see what we can do to help out and move this GREAT sport along. Suggestions like these are definitly not looked over by us, we want to be apart of sport and help out where we can so any more suggestions is greatly appreciated and noted. If there are ways that we can help let us know, so we can see what we can do.

I would be willing to bet many of these larger companies that have money to sponsor a general purse don't even realize the DHRA exists let alone that it is where many in the diesel community gets its kicks on a Saturday.

I believe if we, as community, started sending well written emails to only the big name companies whose products we personally use on our rides, make them aware of the DHRA means to us as a spectator or participant and ask them if they would consider a small (from the company's perspective) sponsorship as a trial for the 2007 season we would would be surprised what a grassroots email effort from their consumer could provide the DHRA.

Also, by contributing directly to the DHRA general fund they win every race they sponsor on Saturday vs. sponsoring one single truck that might win if it shows up to race.

I bet they are more willing to listen to sponsorship ideas when its their consumers who have already purchased product asking than if it were the DHRA simply seeking cash.

I say anything is worth a chance to make this sport more noticeable and marketable. All they can say is no but we need to organize any effort first.

IdahoRob said:

Just my .02

I totally agree! This year alone I have made over 500 1/4 mile passes on my pickup. I even tow my travel trailer to many of the races. This generates a lot of interest from owners that use their pickup to tow with. It's not just people that are towing race car trailers, but people from the stands, that own a diesel pickup. I spend a lot of time at each race talking to people about what I have on my pickup, and showing them the changes I have made.

My approach from "sponsors", has been that I found some products/vendors that I like, and get business cards from them. When I give the cards out I put my name on the back, and ask the people that when they call the company, they tell them that they talked to me at the track. If I haven't dealt with a company or have had problems with a company, I won't recommend them. I don't say anything bad, I just don't talk about them.

As someone else said, the first question any sponsor should ask, is what are you going to do for me. Exposure is one of the best answers, but you have to back it up. Most issues of National Dragster, you can find my name in it, as well as pictures of my truck in a few issues. Racing at a dozen races a year is not going to do it. Breaking at every race is also not a good sign.

I'm not trying to "blow my own horn", I just relaying what I do, and I hope others will do the same. I would like to know what others have found that works for vendors.

Paul

paulb said:
I totally agree! This year alone I have made over 500 1/4 mile passes on my pickup. I even tow my travel trailer to many of the races. This generates a lot of interest from owners that use their pickup to tow with. It's not just people that are towing race car trailers, but people from the stands, that own a diesel pickup. I spend a lot of time at each race talking to people about what I have on my pickup, and showing them the changes I have made.

My approach from "sponsors", has been that I found some products/vendors that I like, and get business cards from them. When I give the cards out I put my name on the back, and ask the people that when they call the company, they tell them that they talked to me at the track. If I haven't dealt with a company or have had problems with a company, I won't recommend them. I don't say anything bad, I just don't talk about them.

As someone else said, the first question any sponsor should ask, is what are you going to do for me. Exposure is one of the best answers, but you have to back it up. Most issues of National Dragster, you can find my name in it, as well as pictures of my truck in a few issues. Racing at a dozen races a year is not going to do it. Breaking at every race is also not a good sign.

I'm not trying to "blow my own horn", I just relaying what I do, and I hope others will do the same. I would like to know what others have found that works for vendors.

Paul

We too use a similar aproach. I was told once that the majority of these companies are not as much concerned with who wins the most races but who is dedicated to show up on a regular basis and give the most exposure. We are also constantly at the track and pushing the sales of all types of diesel performance products. And our truck is displaying large stickers of many of the manufactures whose products we use and we have asked nothing of them as of yet. Steve drives our truck several days a week and travels the state. We have had people who have seen our truck on the street drive around and look for us to talk to him about it. Which has taken us to our next level by starting a small diesel performance business. I can say honestly that when asked what we would give in return it would be dedication to the entire "diesel performance" world and tons of positive exposure.

Amy

Back