Charging issue

phillherling10

Hey everyone!
I wanted to share my experience with installing a external voltage regulator on my 01 cummins.
So ready through forums on here, I found how to test for the failed pcm regulator on our trucks.
My regulator did in fact fail and I went ahead and installed the external regulator. Well it didn’t go that simple for me.
I built my own harness to route everything where I wanted it and installed as instructed here.
My first regulator was a non adjustable one from oreilly.
With my volt meter on my alternator. I had 14.2v.
Wellll... my truck didn’t like that. The dash would read the 14.2v for about 5sec then it would climb to 17v and set the “check gauge” light!!!!!
But checking the fluke volt meter. It was still reading 14.2v at the batteries and alternator.
I then installed the adjustable hd regulator and adjusted it to 13.7v at alternator and batteries.
The gauge in the truck reads perfectly accurate. Just below 14v. Idk if this a computer thing that my truck didn’t like with the 14.2v coming out. But turning it down did fix the issue. And now I have a charging system that keeps my batteries happy.

I wanted to share this because I have not read anything like this from other people having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back