Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
imelmo

Name: imelmo
Title: Go away, I'm 'batin'!
Member`s Gallery
Question Air Suspension???

So now that I own ZMBYKLR again, my plan is to buy a set of wheels/drag radials for it and when larger events come around slap a stock bumper on the front, remove the rear bumper and TireGate/Spare, and run in the 10.5 index classes. Then put everything back on after.

The truck has a 6" (5.5" technically iirc) Icon lift on it, so obviously putting 30" drag radials all around is gonna look pretty goofy even though it's just for racing. So I was thinking it would be pretty sweet if I could find an air suspension system that could let the truck set at stock height (or lower even) when the drag radials are on and go up to about 6" over stock for when I put the 37's back on.

The truck is a 2003 F250 6.0 regular cab short bed but has all 2005 suspension and axles.

My first thought was Kelderman. I didn't see anything that listed that specifically so I emailed them but haven't heard back yet. Any other options out there for this?

The FORDOTA, '86 Toyota reg cab tube chassis to be powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke; finally back in progress

Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
imelmo

Member`s Gallery
Nobody on here messes with air suspension?

The FORDOTA, '86 Toyota reg cab tube chassis to be powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke; finally back in progress

Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You already mentioned the one company I know of.
Past that I'm useless.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 08-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
imelmo

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I guess I'll call 'em tomorrow since I still haven't received an email response.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
SWALLDOG

Name: SWALLDOG
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The major problem you are going to have is how the suspension is setup for what ride height. If you set it up for 6" of lift then when you drop it down for the track all the geometry will be out of wack. The forces won't be in line and it will try to load or unload the rear end. It will also mess with the caster or drive line angle on the front.

Don't get me wrong, I support this, I think that's just going to be the major problem. I love air suspension. I put air spring on the front of my truck like 5 or 6 years ago and love it. On of these days I'll get around to the rear. Lol.

I did a full air suspension on an '08 megacab last summer. 4 link in the rear, radius arms in the front, 14" of travel on all 4 corners. He can drop it all the way to the bump stops. But we had to set it all up for his driving ride height. He definitely can drive it at other ride heights but just doesn't work as well. Ya know just putt'n around the car show w the front all up and the back dropped down, or whatever those Cali lean people do.

Probably at work under a truck

Closed Thread