Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Blue12valve

Name: Blue12valve
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
47RH air testing and teardown inspection

Hey guys,

I have 47rh that I rebuilt myself that is having some issues. I installed alta red clutches, replaced all seals/ gaskets, billet servos, Goerend valve body and triple disc converter and replaced the cooler. The rebuilt transmission worked awesome for about 3k miles. I did a helacious burnout and it started shifting strange from that point on. It would fall out of gear randomly while driving, free revving like it was in nuetral until I stopped, shut the truck off and restarted, all gears are back and shifting well after restarting. Very strange. I checked the fluid level, it was full and was not burned. There are no external trans fluid leaks on the transmission. I think it has a serious hydrolic leak inside, have a hard time believing the pump stopped producing but I guess anything is possible.

Fast forward, I pulled the 47rh out and put an nv5600 in it’s place. Now I have this expensive paper weight that I would like to try and fix but I dont wan’t to just throw a seal kit at it, I want to find the leak or other issue in trans first. Aside from air testing the different passages in the transmission, is there anyway I can inspect/ test the pump with the transmission out of the truck? Is there anyway to test the govornor as well? What else should I look at besides torn or rolled seals? Thanks for any help!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Kryp2nitE

Name: Kryp2nitE
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
What gear were you in when you did said burnout? Manual 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Blue12valve

Name: Blue12valve
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryp2nitE View Post
What gear were you in when you did said burnout? Manual 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in manual 1st while doing the burnout.....

Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
CowboyEdition

Name: CowboyEdition
Title: Because Diesel
Member`s Gallery
It would have been good to do the pressure checks before you pulled it. All you can do now is completely disassemble and inspect all parts and seals.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
DFI 5X0.014's, Standard Pump Mods
S300 VNT Turbo, Mechanically Actuated
Home-built trans with goodies
Borgeson, DOR, Bilstein and Carli Upgrades

Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Yup. Pressure checks would have been better than air testing. I air test before install
Just to see if here is any major problems. Not as accurate as a fluid pressure test though.

I've had a 1-2 shift timing valve issue before that would let it slip in all forward gears unless I was in lockup. Maybe you hurt your forward clutch pack. Did you go from the 1st gear burn out and shift it into manual 2nd or drive ?

Closed Thread