Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Rustin

Name: Rustin
Title: Let the Beatings Begin!
Member`s Gallery
Early 1999 7.3L Showing three DTC.

With over 168,000 miles, my truck has ran well, till now. You would not think something was wrong, unless you have been driving it as long as I have. I'm always over analyzing my truck. Any way I noticed that the truck was running ok, but it was not the usual sound I'm used to. So I dropped a scan tool on it and here are the Diagnostic trouble Codes.
  1. P0113 IAT Sensor Circuit High Input
  1. P0470 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
  1. P1249 Wastagate Fail Steady State Test

I already have an exhaust leak coming from the up pipes, so this might have accelerated the issues. Up pipes are expensive for me right now.

I have cleared the codes and returned the truck back to stock tuning and will see if they return.

So what is the common issue with these codes if they return?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Damn Forum! To many cummins owners! !

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
JJeepyjohn

Name: JJeepyjohn
Title: Make Me Fries
Member`s Gallery
Put the scan tool back on it and check DATA stream. Look at exh back pressure reading it should be around 15 depending on baro pressure/sea level. you could probably ignore the IAT code. Let me know what ya find.
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
1998 Ranger Interceptor 6BT
FIREPUNK Golden Nugget Competition Stage1
DPC Billet Triple Disc Converter

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Will Do John.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
HeTheAethyr!

Name: HeTheAethyr!
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
stuck exhaust back pressure valve. if it moves free then there's something wrong with the control side. also that exhaust pressure sensing lines is knowed to get plugged overtime.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
JJeepyjohn

Name: JJeepyjohn
Title: Make Me Fries
Member`s Gallery
Well ????
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
1998 Ranger Interceptor 6BT
FIREPUNK Golden Nugget Competition Stage1
DPC Billet Triple Disc Converter

Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeepyjohn View Post
Well ????
I'm waiting on the codes to return. I just reset the tune back to stock. Truck is running fine for now.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeTheAethyr! View Post
stuck exhaust back pressure valve. if it moves free then there's something wrong with the control side. also that exhaust pressure sensing lines is knowed to get plugged overtime.
That reminds me. In one of my tests I turned the key to run, and on the turbo there was a ticking going on. Since the codes have been clear and returned to stock tune, it has silenced. I'm sure it will return.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
IdahoF350

Name: IdahoF350
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Also own an E99. Over 20 years in automotive dealing with this stuff.

Bad IAT, sensor is relatively easy to test and inexpensive and easy to replace.

Check your filter minder, if the air filter is dirty, replace it. Dirty air filter can pop P1249 because of the increased drive pressure needed to pull air through a dirty filter. Since the dirty filter prevents the turbo from making boost the computer commands the wastegate shut and pops P1249.

The leaking up pipes and a dirty air filter will also cause the P0470, the leak prevents you from reaching desired EBP, then the lack of boost is telling the wastegate to shut. Because drive pressure is low, it thinks the wastegate is either stuck open or failing to close.

Check the simple stuff. Clean the EBP sensor and tube, lots of info on doing that online. You can also check the IAT and EBP sensor voltages, they are 0-5v DC signals and the temps corresponding to the voltages measured are available by searching online, I suggest testing the IAT on a cold engine In the morning so that IAT should about match ambient.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoF350 View Post
Also own an E99. Over 20 years in automotive dealing with this stuff.

Bad IAT, sensor is relatively easy to test and inexpensive and easy to replace.

Check your filter minder, if the air filter is dirty, replace it. Dirty air filter can pop P1249 because of the increased drive pressure needed to pull air through a dirty filter. Since the dirty filter prevents the turbo from making boost the computer commands the wastegate shut and pops P1249.

The leaking up pipes and a dirty air filter will also cause the P0470, the leak prevents you from reaching desired EBP, then the lack of boost is telling the wastegate to shut. Because drive pressure is low, it thinks the wastegate is either stuck open or failing to close.

Check the simple stuff. Clean the EBP sensor and tube, lots of info on doing that online. You can also check the IAT and EBP sensor voltages, they are 0-5v DC signals and the temps corresponding to the voltages measured are available by searching online, I suggest testing the IAT on a cold engine In the morning so that IAT should about match ambient.
Excellent advice. Thank you!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
IdahoF350

Member`s Gallery
For what it's worth, I bought mine dirt cheap from a dealer contact right after it was traded in on a new truck by an older owner. The basic maintenance had all been done but the more advanced stuff hadn't. The dealer did a good job cleaning it up and I've taken care of things as they have come up. In 8 months I've put 14k on it.

What I've learned is that an E99 is a great starting point. I've ironed out the bugs as they've popped up. I'm running Archoil AR9100 (similar to Rev-X, but less expensive and proved itself in my 6.0) in Delo 400LE 15w40, this combination works really well to remove carbon deposits from the engine and improve injector and HPO system performance. I also straight piped the truck into the stack kit I previously ran on the 6.0, and I built a 4" intake to run a 6637 filter on.

The real magic is in the tuning though. Seems a lot of tuners don't want to tune E99 computers or blame the computers for a lack of flexibility to really hammer on the tuning. I can tell you that there is more power to be extracted from an E99 through the tuning than there is from. 99.5-03, I've tuned the range of them.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
For what it's worth, I bought mine dirt cheap from a dealer contact right after it was traded in on a new truck by an older owner. The basic maintenance had all been done but the more advanced stuff hadn't. The dealer did a good job cleaning it up and I've taken care of things as they have come up. In 8 months I've put 14k on it.

What I've learned is that an E99 is a great starting point. I've ironed out the bugs as they've popped up. I'm running Archoil AR9100 (similar to Rev-X, but less expensive and proved itself in my 6.0) in Delo 400LE 15w40, this combination works really well to remove carbon deposits from the engine and improve injector and HPO system performance. I also straight piped the truck into the stack kit I previously ran on the 6.0, and I built a 4" intake to run a 6637 filter on.

The real magic is in the tuning though. Seems a lot of tuners don't want to tune E99 computers or blame the computers for a lack of flexibility to really hammer on the tuning. I can tell you that there is more power to be extracted from an E99 through the tuning than there is from. 99.5-03, I've tuned the range of them.
So True!!!

I do not use Dello anymore, I went full synthetic. I'm using Archoil and plan on using some new stuff I received at the last SEMA Show. I did do the HP crossover tube from Tymar and plan on upgrading the HPOP soon. Right now I'm working on the exhaust issue.

For about six months I was able to demo some tuning software... I have decided that I will not use a chip. I actually was never a fan of the chip even when they came out in the late 80s.

Tuning with a stock truck, I was able to shave over a second. I even increased my fuel economy at, approximately, 4mpgs. When I was bracket racing the truck, I found that the clutch that I have will need upgrading. I had to much tune for it.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #13
IdahoF350

Member`s Gallery
Having been tuning since the mid-1990s, I started with chips and piggy-back systems on Mustangs. I've done direct flashes, programmers, and chips. With the SCT software, I have the ability to put the same programs on a chip or load them in a programmer and flash the truck. I choose to use a chip for the same reason most guys do to have access to multiple programs on the fly.

As far as oil goes, I had injector issues by 68k with my 6.0 on Rotella, did some extensive research on virgin oil analysis and chose Delo based on my findings and another 6.0 I occasionally worked on for a buddy that had the stock injectors in it at 186k when he sold it. In conjunction with the Archoil, I'm seeing oil deposit removal on par with the best synthetics I've ever run, and at the cost of oil and the cost of additive, I can't justify synthetic on a 7500 mile drain interval and there's no way I'll run any oil 15K+ in this 16 year old engine. I'm very content with what I'm running, it works.

I have some pretty solid long term goals that should put this truck in the 400+whp and 900+wtq range, and still let me use it for anything I like including towing my 5th wheel. Just have to balance the time and money aspects and it should be spectacular.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Rustin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Having been tuning since the mid-1990s, I started with chips and piggy-back systems on Mustangs. I've done direct flashes, programmers, and chips. With the SCT software, I have the ability to put the same programs on a chip or load them in a programmer and flash the truck. I choose to use a chip for the same reason most guys do to have access to multiple programs on the fly.

As far as oil goes, I had injector issues by 68k with my 6.0 on Rotella, did some extensive research on virgin oil analysis and chose Delo based on my findings and another 6.0 I occasionally worked on for a buddy that had the stock injectors in it at 186k when he sold it. In conjunction with the Archoil, I'm seeing oil deposit removal on par with the best synthetics I've ever run, and at the cost of oil and the cost of additive, I can't justify synthetic on a 7500 mile drain interval and there's no way I'll run any oil 15K+ in this 16 year old engine. I'm very content with what I'm running, it works.

I have some pretty solid long term goals that should put this truck in the 400+whp and 900+wtq range, and still let me use it for anything I like including towing my 5th wheel. Just have to balance the time and money aspects and it should be spectacular.
I'm one of those types of guys that likes one tune. I'm still under the impression that the truck's computer can calculate what it needs to do from idle, cruise, and wide open throttle. In a sense, I personally do not see the sense of having more than one tune for a street truck. That's just me, I'm not knocking on anybodies tuning skills.

My extended drain intervals have been fine at 15,000. I'm using Amsoil 5w40. I'm done testing fuel additives!!! I have gone through 24 different additives. Some work and others, I could not tell if they did to my truck.

Closed Thread