Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #41
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
Street class with a claimer rule? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #42
getblown5.9

Name: getblown5.9
Title: Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Member`s Gallery
The rule almost needs to read like S300 or small frame chargers must meet the inducer limit of 2.6, while the mid frame (S400, GT4X) stuff needs to be teched for an exducer limit as well. If you don't want to pull your charger apart every hook, stay with a smaller frame, if you wanna run the big boy stuff, then make sure its compliant and be ready to pull the compressor cover for tech.

Again it all comes down to tech tho.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #43
lubeowner

Name: lubeowner
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convicted1 View Post
Hell yes! I'd be all over that. Maybe go ahead and say 2k... But this is a hell of an idea!

Good luck getting anybody else to go for it though.
The price that you set would limit what everyone spends on when they put a turbo on their truck. If the price it $1500 then only a fool would put a $2000 charger on his truck. One hook and he just lost $500. Everyone would be running $1500 turbos, that would be the budget for the class. Everyone coming into the class would know to only spend $1500 on a turbo.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #44
Convicted1

Name: Convicted1
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeowner View Post
The price that you set would limit what everyone spends on when they put a turbo on their truck. If the price it $1500 then only a fool would put a $2000 charger on his truck. One hook and he just lost $500. Everyone would be running $1500 turbos, that would be the budget for the class. Everyone coming into the class would know to only spend $1500 on a turbo.
Yeah... I agree. It's just kinda rough to buy even a HTT or Industrial (or whatever) off the shelf 66mm NEW charger for 1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
You want boobies that fill up a wine glass.... not stop up a toilet.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #45
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Claimer rule won't work either. It's simple, you don't control the turbine wheel size, you don't control anything.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #46
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeowner View Post
There will always be the ones who spends money to have large stuff put in a small frame charger and own multiple chargers built on the same frame and switch chargers out between hooks just keep everyone guessing. I've seen this happen on tractors before and the trucks are in high speed pursuit. The claimers will end up disappointed in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #47
getblown5.9

Name: getblown5.9
Title: Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Member`s Gallery
$1500 is good money, i could make money every week if someone bought my charger for $1500

Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #48
supersmoke

Name: supersmoke
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Claimer rule won't work either. It's simple, you don't control the turbine wheel size, you don't control anything.
Yup.....turbine wheel is the key.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #49
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I like the protrusion rule as it still allows a lot of freedom in charger selection.
I am not 100% sure what happens in the tractor classes, one issue with locking down the turbo too much is we have lots of variety
I6 and V8
5.9-7.3
Mechanical and electrical
and the biggest factor is Automatic and manuals.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #50
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmoke View Post
Yup.....turbine wheel is the key.
Goodluck finding a way to tech that one effectively...

Quote:

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #51
lubeowner

Name: lubeowner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yeah... I agree. It's just kinda rough to buy even a HTT or Industrial (or whatever) off the shelf 66mm NEW charger for 1500.
Borg Warner S366XL Turbo BW S366 Bullseye Power Garrett: eBay Motors (item 350302348485 end time Sep-04-10 13:36:54 PDT)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #52
supersmoke

Name: supersmoke
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That is certainly an issue. Tell the tech guys to pull the turbos off 1 minute after the pull with no gloves on.....

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #53
Smokem

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
NTPA doesn't seem to have a problem doing it. Turbo and Clutch Inspectors | Member & Tech Services

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #54
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
NTPA doesn't seem to have a problem doing it. Turbo and Clutch Inspectors | Member & Tech Services

While your along the right lines look at the money the folks have if they pull NTPA, it won't happen with your local organizations.

More than likely your not gonna see the 2.6 class evolve into an NTPA style class, now possibly 3.0 or higher yes. 2.6, be like the local hot farm tractor classes.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #55
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
I didn't think about non-gated options... Which I guess an internal gate wouldn't matter to most.

Quote:
I don't know enough about NTPA to say what they are proficient at or not, but I'd assume their teching of turbine wheels if they do it is on a tractor application... Much easier to do with the tractor than a truck.

Quote:

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #56
Smokem

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
While your along the right lines look at the money the folks have if they pull NTPA, it won't happen with your local organizations.

More than likely your not gonna see the 2.6 class evolve into an NTPA style class, now possibly 3.0 or higher yes. 2.6, be like the local hot farm tractor classes.
If all pulling organizations, not dependant on location, would abide by the same class rules, it would work. But this would mean that the sled pulling guys would have to agree on something, good luck with that. It would be nice to go to a local pull, use a national set of rules, and have the points account for something on that level.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #57
4 Tuggin

Name: 4 Tuggin
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I posted this before in turbos section. Not to many posts on it there!

Trying to find out any info. on the guys that run say a bigger then 3.0 wheel and clipping it to fit a 3" cover. OR 2.8 cover. There are no rules that apply to actual size of compressor inducer and exducer measurements like there are in NHRA or other turbo classes. Why can guys run these huge turbos and change map groove around and make "cheater" turbos that passes a slug test but not any where close to the spec "size" of a 3.0 class or 2.8 class. Any dyno #'s with a true 3.0 to a cheater turbo? OR 2.8? This seems like a huge advantage over a guy that is actually running the correct size for his class when no one is teching the actual specs on the wheel itself. Any thoughts or info here??

Simple,make a rule that states compressor inducer size ?? MM and exducer size ??MM . Tech the top 5 trucks after pull and if they don't meet specs DQ them. Simple answer to me!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #58
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If all pulling organizations, not dependant on location, would abide by the same class rules, it would work. But this would mean that the sled pulling guys would have to agree on something, good luck with that. It would be nice to go to a local pull, use a national set of rules, and have the points account for something on that level.
This concept alone would be awesome...
No matter what the final rules looked like.

Quote:

Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #59
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
I think i recognize the thread title. The only difference in the stepped covers, contoured wheels, clipped wheel and bushings is who pockets get lined. A box stock s475 for 700$ will hold its own against the 2000$ or more chargers. it helps even out the playing field.

And for the guys that say spend the money or shut up, FUK U! Not all of us g-ot lucky enough in life to have the luxury that you do. We spend what we can. I dont care who you are or how great you think you are. What are you scared of anyway? Whats wroong with me having the samme turbo you have for less than half the price? I think its B.S. that you would downgrade people for not having what you have.

Tim

Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #60
mech2161

Name: mech2161
Title: I have a secret.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOISRAM View Post
I think i recognize the thread title. The only difference in the stepped covers, contoured wheels, clipped wheel and bushings is who pockets get lined. A box stock s475 for 700$ will hold its own against the 2000$ or more chargers. it helps even out the playing field.

And for the guys that say spend the money or shut up, FUK U! Not all of us g-ot lucky enough in life to have the luxury that you do. We spend what we can. I dont care who you are or how great you think you are. What are you scared of anyway? Whats wroong with me having the samme turbo you have for less than half the price? I think its B.S. that you would downgrade people for not having what you have.

Tim

Closed Thread