Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Garmon Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Garmon Diesel Ask Jeff Garmon

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #61
bfp2006

Name: bfp2006
Title: old reliable
Member`s Gallery
yea it was the red one in the pics a few posts ago. haulin hay lol. that is one bad ass 7.3!
7.3L- DP-Tuner 140 aggressive tune,Built trans&valve body, and billet converter,4 pod gauges, 4" exh ,intake, 8" lift, 24" mazzi hulk wheels, 38" kuhmo m/t, Pioneer double din navi, 07' front clip and on and on and on

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #62
Charles

Name: Charles
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood2006 View Post
I mean take it for what its worth. People are down more than 550 with just custom tuning on 6.4s, put that with a 200hp shot of nitrous and u get right around that number man with a few other small mods.
Newsflash...

The Dynojet 248 is the de-facto standard for comparison pulls. You can go get on a load cell and dial in another couple hundred hp any day of the week, but what you can't do is manipulate a Dynojet 248 intertia. It is what it is.

Now for a guy running stock (or modified stock) compound turbochargers there is no excuse for not making street boost on the dynojet. That 6.4 should have made any number you wanted, if not, somebody needs to learn how to tune, or make the required changes to wastegating/VGT control because my 7.3 ran right before him and made the exact street boost I pulled in running, with an 88mm first stage compressor. If I had wanted 70, 80, 90 or more lbs of boost it would have been a simple request made via keyboard, as I have done numerous times before on that exact same dyno model.

I don't think the guy was getting anything from the spray. IIRC, he did something in the 6teens. I had no doubt that he should go right at or over 700, and was looking forward to seeing it. I was shocked myself when I heard what he had pulled. But it wasn't a dyno problem.

The dyno was exactly where it should have been. Neither high, nor low.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #63
bh10

Name: bh10
Title: Web Wrencher
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I know the guy pretty well, and as well Im ford man 05strokinfx4, yeah it did used to be slow with a superchip, but whats not! I was with him in Chicago a couple months back and he put down 782 to the tires on a real international dyno with one that actually puts a 40% load on the truck, and garmins is made for a low rpms cummins motor. He had small nitrous pills in it that day but still should have showed more than he did. There was another 6.0 there with a turbo and other bolt ons and he said he usually hes around the same hp as ben, but he only made like 630 or sumthin like that too. He'll be in nashville this comin weekend for the dyno day up there, and I will tell u his numbers after this coming weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
782!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm.......

BTW, it's spelled "Garmon".........And, how is a dyno "Designed" for a specific motor???
Id just excuse his statement from him being from Statesboro, or if he's just a student, well...

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER
CSnyder @ Snyder Motorsports

Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #64
bwood2006

Name: bwood2006
Title: 6 blow
Member`s Gallery
Ha sorry I misspelled Garmon wrong, so u must be stupid too seeing as how u graduated from Southern!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #65
bh10

Name: bh10
Title: Web Wrencher
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ha sorry I misspelled Garmon wrong, so u must be stupid too seeing as how u graduated from Southern!
I was hoping someone would catch that.

Big Thanks To
PURE DIESEL POWER
CSnyder @ Snyder Motorsports

Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #66
bfp2006

Member`s Gallery
i have seen the truck pull well over 700 more than one time on internationals dyno and he had the sheets to prove it. I have actually seen it on three different dynos . I dont know what was wrong with the truck or dyno, but either way i have seen over 700 with my own eyes... and you really cant hate on a student being a mechanical engineer
7.3L- DP-Tuner 140 aggressive tune,Built trans&valve body, and billet converter,4 pod gauges, 4" exh ,intake, 8" lift, 24" mazzi hulk wheels, 38" kuhmo m/t, Pioneer double din navi, 07' front clip and on and on and on

Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #67
turbomatt1

Name: turbomatt1
Title: Design Limit Investigator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Newsflash...

The Dynojet 248 is the de-facto standard for comparison pulls. You can go get on a load cell and dial in another couple hundred hp any day of the week, but what you can't do is manipulate a Dynojet 248 intertia. It is what it is.

Now for a guy running stock (or modified stock) compound turbochargers there is no excuse for not making street boost on the dynojet. That 6.4 should have made any number you wanted, if not, somebody needs to learn how to tune, or make the required changes to wastegating/VGT control because my 7.3 ran right before him and made the exact street boost I pulled in running, with an 88mm first stage compressor. If I had wanted 70, 80, 90 or more lbs of boost it would have been a simple request made via keyboard, as I have done numerous times before on that exact same dyno model.

I don't think the guy was getting anything from the spray. IIRC, he did something in the 6teens. I had no doubt that he should go right at or over 700, and was looking forward to seeing it. I was shocked myself when I heard what he had pulled. But it wasn't a dyno problem.

The dyno was exactly where it should have been. Neither high, nor low.
Yea....thats what I was thinkin. A 7.3 puts down 633 fuel only(!) & then the 6.4 guy claims the same dyno is predjudice against Fords? Not. He just didnt bring the HP. Tune it & try again.

Moving right along.... Was that 7.3 still single turbo??
"Single turbo all diesel trailer toter"
2008 NHRDA Div.4 Super Street Champion.
http://www.myspace.com/turbomatt1

Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #68
bfp2006

Member`s Gallery
whats the major mods to the 7.3? I give him props! u usually dont see those making those kinds of numbers? BTW i think what the 6.4 was saying is it was tuned on a loaded dyno so it didnt make the numbers he was expecting....but it doesnt really matter i have seen it make more. something could have been going wrong w the truck i dunno? i know something wasnt right.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #69
triton

Name: triton
Title: Scarlet Fever
Member`s Gallery
the 7.3's have come a long way. Brian has the dyno record for a 7.3 at 680hp on fuel only. He's almost got it running into the 10's too.

http://www.dieselperformancemotorsports.com/

Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #70
Bird dizzle

Name: Bird dizzle
Title: dump it down
Member`s Gallery
hey i will say the truck was off...didnt feel off on the way there nor on the way home. do the math something on 35s that weighs 8850 with me in it runn ing a 790.00 ran that number two days later.. made 609 on motor before ??

Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #71
Charles

Member`s Gallery
I don't think the spray was working as it should have on the 6.4L. I expected it to go 700's.

But I will say this, 180hp doesn't just disappear, and you aren't going to lose that kind of power going from a load cell to a 248 inertia with a truck running stock or at most modified stock chargers (compounds no less) and on top of that spraying.

Nitrous Oxide doesn't care one bit how much load is on an engine. You don't have to spool a blue bottle. So coming up 150+ shy of the expected when running spray is quite a stretch.

It's much more likely that the spray simply wasn't working properly.

The only other option, is that you take the 525ish the truck pulled on fuel last year, and add a 100 shot of spray to it, and you get 625ish. But it sounds like he feels that he is much stronger now on fuel, and that the spray is worth much more than 100hp.

And in reality, it should be. 700, even 780+ from a 6.4 on spray is not uncommon. However, the one at Jeff's simply wasn't doing it that day. Which is also not uncommon, for any truck/engine.

Sh*t messes up sometimes. Solenoids fail, so on and so forth.

We're not talking about a truck running a big single that couldn't spool here. We're talking about a stock charger truck, right? Stock compounds no less?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #72
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomatt1 View Post
Yea....thats what I was thinkin. A 7.3 puts down 633 fuel only(!) & then the 6.4 guy claims the same dyno is predjudice against Fords? Not. He just didnt bring the HP. Tune it & try again.

Moving right along.... Was that 7.3 still single turbo??

Mine's been running my same old compound setup for coming up on 3 years now.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #73
Bird dizzle

Member`s Gallery
i agree with u guys 100% its my truck i love jeff and dunbar. i enjoy going to the events fun times. it was off not sure what it was. but it made if i remember correctly last year 567 no nitrous. it has a kem tune a suncoast tranny and 100 shot no claim for faim just love the sport and have to haul my tractors with something lol

Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #74
bwood2006

Name: bwood2006
Title: 6 blow
Member`s Gallery
Web wrencher glad to see there is other people from Southern on here. What year did u graduate?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #75
Bird dizzle

Member`s Gallery
b woody gfo

Closed Thread