Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Ludgate124

Name: Ludgate124
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Max cut off head while still keeping correct rocker geometry

Hey so long story short I have a head with quite a bit of porting done to it. The fire ring groves in it are not correct and roughly .035-.040" would need to be cut off to have a fresh surface again. How far can these go? How much can the valve tips be trimmed? What are my options? I know I can get shorter pushrods to correct that side of things.

Also on the same not because I searched with no great answeres, how does everyone feel about exhaust to injector hole cracks that pressure test okay and are not visible in the seat.

If everyone says no throw it out too big a cut or why play with cracks, thoughts on aftermarket head quality? No good answeres on that either

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
I have had good luck with promax aftermarket castings , seen few flaws with head hardware none with casting ..

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Subd. Got a hear that would need .030 off it to take rings again.

If it pressure test. Run it.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Ludgate124

Member`s Gallery
Short story long this machine shop originally cut head for o-rings. They somehow cut them in an oval, after it failed and we found the ovals we decided to try and recut fire rings over the o ring grove. It ALMOST got rid of old grove but after running it and failing yet again it's time to go back to a blank slate and do this right. As much as I want to run from this shop they keep footing the bill. So last week they bought me a new aftermarket head cut it flat did a valve job and cut it for fire rings. Well the idiots cut the groove too wide of an OD, so now that head is junk to me and I'm lost on what to ask them yo screw up next

Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
what a joke of a shop were u located ?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #6
Ludgate124

Member`s Gallery
Upsate ny
Carl mcquillen racing engines is the shop

Old 05-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Holy crap that's nuts. Amateurs. Might I suggest Castner's Performance in Penn Yan. They may be too backed up for you right now since its the beginning of pulling season but who knows.

Also I am sure you can deck the head down enough to make it flat again as long as the valve depth is reset. I'd give it a shot, might as well, not like the head's any good anyways otherwise.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Redrider2911

Name: Redrider2911
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The main thing to worry about is valve to piston clearance correct? I was considering taking a decent amount off my head for the purpose of unshrouding the valve, and then just running the thicker head gasket to bring the valves back up away from the pistons.
49 Willys Pickup. 5600lb. 11.8sec @115mph 1/4. 12 valve. MegaSquirted 47RH. 3.54 posi rear. 35" tires. 64mm HE351ve, S475 (75/96/1.32), A/W Intercooler. AFC mods. 5x16s. 191 DVs, 180 pump. 23*. 85psi. Build Thread

Closed Thread