DIY short arms

RollCoal9000

I trashed the poly bushings in my short arms and want some new ones with ball joints on both ends. They all are kind of expensive, if I buy 8 Johnny joints and weld in bungs and some steel is there any money to be saved doing this?

I did something similar with delrin and steel inserts in a jeep I had, and it worked out. You’re looking at a lot more money, but jeep guys do it. Look at those forums, see their mileage, and cut it in half if you see so much as a gravel road.

The real question is if you want to build something or have something. how much is your time worth welding it up while you build these? Could you work a couple hrs OT and pay for something already available? If it’s a hobby/beer drinking thing, I get it. If you’re trying to get a problem fixed, it’s rarely worth it unless you want to market your fix.

Last edited:
Yeah after pricing joints with weld in bungs I'd be past $500 already, just to build some arms myself that arent any better than carli or thuren.

Poly bushings are such a pain to get installed because of the misalignment. And the inherent bind up leaves a lot to he desired with ride quality.

Also I dont think locking all 4 up with 25k gross load really helped the situation at all.

Last edited:
I went from Synergy upper and lower control arms that had poly bushings to my own built control arms with Ballistic Joints. I didn't do it for cost, I did it because the Synergy arms needed rebuilt and they were 6 months out. The best thing to do is to buy stuff around a holiday, as Ballistic runs 10 to 15% off around every holiday.

I built control arms for my 05 with ballistic forged ends , they hold up really well . I had the flexible joints on the uppers at first and they don't last long , I changed the uppers to the solid joints and it tightened the steering up nicely .

Back