Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #41
Ryan Tucker

Name: Ryan Tucker
Title: Do it Dont talk about it.
Member`s Gallery
Ken, good to hear from you Sir. Ya it was a bad deal, I had 3 neck surgerys prior to the wreck, cervical fusions. I was dumb and hard-headed and once again came out of retirement to race again. I missed it more than I ever thought possible. Took my old first hot rod and spent a winter on her, all round moly car and 1511hp blown on alcohol. 4.60 car but I had a e.t. genie restrictor plate and slowed it down to run both 5.00 and 5.80 indexes all over. My last season was definitely my best and most fun.
The drunk Bastard wrecked 5 of us that year all at different tracks which have banned him. I didn't know and had never heard of him, we found each other in the finals and by then it was like 1 o'clock a.m., guy pitted next to him said he had drank a 30 pack of bud wiser by himself and that he couldn't walk. I was the Last to get the plucking memo.
It broke my wrist and 4 ribs, concussion, and blew out another disk or 3. I went to Germany and had both cervical and lumbar artificial discs replaced, 4 more levels. I have no natural moving disk in my neck, their artificial or fussed. so my 4th and 5th surgery all in one this time. I'm good and defiantly staying out of the racers this time, surgery cost me 54k Cash out of pocket, no insurance coverage out of the country. My work on the chassis saved my life, it was wadded up but nothing came apart and no broke welds, sure glad I doubled all my seat belt tabs.

Guys take your cage work, welds, all sfi stuff very serious!

Last edited by Ryan Tucker; 12-15-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #42
AGR1791

Name: AGR1791
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Wow I can't believe someone didn't inform the track.

I ask to run singles whenever possible to take out that risk or me getting into someone else.

As for the 1/8 mile vs 1/4 debate I think it's the right move for PS and SS but hope prostock stays 1/4.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #43
Ryan Tucker

Member`s Gallery
Track notified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGR1791 View Post
Wow I can't believe someone didn't inform the track.

I ask to run singles whenever possible to take out that risk or me getting into someone else.

As for the 1/8 mile vs 1/4 debate I think it's the right move for PS and SS but hope prostock stays 1/4.
It was the Finals at a big money 5k to win race, of course everyone there knew. There wasn't a person on the property that didn't run down to my crash site, a local pastor pulled me out and prayed for me . Best memory of that night. My son was standing behind me on the starting line, so glad I didn't die that night, can't imagine that for my son. Every day is a Good day

Old 12-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #44
Kind

Name: Kind
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Keep it 1/4 mile and put a max weight in the classes. Encourage racers to stop making 3/4 and 1 ton trucks run 9’s and 8’s because of a ridiculously high minimum weight for the speeds they are achieving.

Going 1/8 mile doesn’t fix what 6000lbs does in a crash. They will still be going insanely fast by the 1/8th. Going 1/8 mile won’t stop 6000lbs trucks from breaking regularly.

Diesel racing needs to focus on losing weight for multiple reasons.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #45
Kind

Name: Kind
Member`s Gallery
NHRDA going 1/8 mile for Super and Pro Street

Name me one competitive/winning SS truck that gets daily driven.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #46
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Does the name Aron Nick ring a bell.....

Days far past yes, but point made.
And his truck ran high 10's if I remember right?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #47
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
I like the "get light" path. Remove the minimum weight restriction on the classes, and put a maximum weight limit. At the top classes, it's not about a huge truck going fast, but a diesel going fast. They could use other vehicles to go much faster, much safer. Anyone know the weight of Miliken's Nova? Wasn't Bodacious 3×××lbs? These guys already make huge power that they cannot use, they need to move to better chassis.
Check out this screenshot, can't imagine it's making as much power as the top guys, but is faster if I recall correctly.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by J-Pipes; 12-16-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #48
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
At that time that was flying for a diesel! Lots changed since then of course, but it's safe to say most SS trucks can still fall in the daily category.

Have you. Been around a SS truck? It's a gutted 2000hp truck. There is very little if anything daily worthy about them

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #49
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
NHRDA going 1/8 mile for Super and Pro Street

Quote:
There are plenty of 10 sec capable trucks daily driven that don't run at the track all for a lot of reasons....

2000hp 2 years ago was a joke remember!

This class runs 8.50-8.80s j will agree 10 seconds is one thing but SS is another and people have been making that power for years. He'll even on singles.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #50
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
At that time that was flying for a diesel! Lots changed since then of course, but it's safe to say most SS trucks can still fall in the daily category.
You are kidding of course, this hasn't been true in several years. 10 sec trucks are a dime a dozen now, most run in the 11.90 and 10.90 index classes in NHRDA. The only way a 10 sec truck can win in SS is if it's the only truck entered or all the fast ones break. Which does happen on occasion. One of the main reasons NHRDA quit have friday nite test and tune is trucks were breaking.

Last edited by Subman631; 12-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #51
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
I think 1/8 mile is a good move. I have opinions about weights and indexes, but I believe that is for another thread.

Top Diesel should remain 1/4 mile, but I would not mind seeing it at 1/8 either.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #52
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind View Post
Keep it 1/4 mile and put a max weight in the classes. Encourage racers to stop making 3/4 and 1 ton trucks run 9’s and 8’s because of a ridiculously high minimum weight for the speeds they are achieving.

Going 1/8 mile doesn’t fix what 6000lbs does in a crash. They will still be going insanely fast by the 1/8th. Going 1/8 mile won’t stop 6000lbs trucks from breaking regularly.

Diesel racing needs to focus on losing weight for multiple reasons.
I agree on the weight focus but on nothing else. Going 1/8 keeps the trucks at 120-130 mph. The 1/4 is 150 to almost 170 now. So its absolutely a huge change.
Going 1/8 is also huge in the breakage department. The second half of the track is BRUTAL on an engine when you are running big hp. Most don't understand it until they've got into that range. But there is a reason ODSS moved pro street to 1/8 a couple years ago. And the engine failure has went down tremendously.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #53
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tucker View Post
Ken, good to hear from you Sir. Ya it was a bad deal, I had 3 neck surgerys prior to the wreck, cervical fusions. I was dumb and hard-headed and once again came out of retirement to race again. I missed it more than I ever thought possible. Took my old first hot rod and spent a winter on her, all round moly car and 1511hp blown on alcohol. 4.60 car but I had a e.t. genie restrictor plate and slowed it down to run both 5.00 and 5.80 indexes all over. My last season was definitely my best and most fun.
The drunk Bastard wrecked 5 of us that year all at different tracks which have banned him. I didn't know and had never heard of him, we found each other in the finals and by then it was like 1 o'clock a.m., guy pitted next to him said he had drank a 30 pack of bud wiser by himself and that he couldn't walk. I was the Last to get the plucking memo.
It broke my wrist and 4 ribs, concussion, and blew out another disk or 3. I went to Germany and had both cervical and lumbar artificial discs replaced, 4 more levels. I have no natural moving disk in my neck, their artificial or fussed. so my 4th and 5th surgery all in one this time. I'm good and defiantly staying out of the racers this time, surgery cost me 54k Cash out of pocket, no insurance coverage out of the country. My work on the chassis saved my life, it was wadded up but nothing came apart and no broke welds, sure glad I doubled all my seat belt tabs.

Guys take your cage work, welds, all sfi stuff very serious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tucker View Post
It was the Finals at a big money 5k to win race, of course everyone there knew. There wasn't a person on the property that didn't run down to my crash site, a local pastor pulled me out and prayed for me . Best memory of that night. My son was standing behind me on the starting line, so glad I didn't die that night, can't imagine that for my son. Every day is a Good day
Holy Crap Ryan!!!

Can you at least sue the track for expenses? So sorry to hear about this!
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #54
Ryan Tucker

Member`s Gallery
Bad night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
Holy Crap Ryan!!!

Can you at least sue the track for expenses? So sorry to hear about this!
I wish Timbo, I really got screwed over that night. There was No ambulance on property for some reason, Cops were not called by 1 single person, and he got off free. I was drug out and taken to the E.R. We're I stayed for a few days. Close to a week later once out, I looked him up and called his no good sorry ass, of course he was slobbering drunk then too. I told him that I wouldn't allow him to cost me 100k that night and that he was responsible, he called me everything but a white boy and said he wished it would have just killed me. That's a tough one to get over.
So 32k from E.R. , a cervical fussion in Dallas not sure my part on it, it failed, so off to Germany to get fixed right, that was 54k Cash out of pocket, not to mention the car would have brought 40k. Bad night. AND it retired me from my passion.
Sure I got a attorney to check it out but it was a dead end due to no police called and private property. Any one want to make some diesel parts cash, lol

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #55
Ryan Tucker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Being on private property doesn't mean $hit......

They have to carry liability for the grounds. Sure there's a natural "assumed risk" which is what they'd claim, but track official negligence is your case.

The technical loophole you could easily go after is the obvious, and argue the means that of which the track doesn't supervise alcohol consumption of drivers to ensure participant and spectator safety.

Just don'twait to long as theirs statute of limitations on claimed for damages which would range from the obvious to lost work, emotional, pain, and the big one.... future risk of complications or anything as result of the event.
Good advise and thank you.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #56
Subman631

Name: Subman631
Member`s Gallery
Ryan what is the name of the drag strip, is it a sanctioned strip with NHRA or IHRA? Or just an outlaw strip with no rules or regulations? It should be reported and shut down.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #57
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
been there also sir..80k in medical bills..due to some drunk hitting me on my bike...on his swamp buggy...he didn't have schidt..I never got othing cept pain in every step I take and an obvious limp..glaucoma..detatched retina are things I live with everyday

sorry for ya bro...sometime there aint no justice

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #58
Ryan Tucker

Member`s Gallery
Cedar Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman631 View Post
Ryan what is the name of the drag strip, is it a sanctioned strip with NHRA or IHRA? Or just an outlaw strip with no rules or regulations? It should be reported and shut down.
Cedar Creek Drag way in 7 points Tx.
1/8th mile track that's been there for 40 some odd years. It's not a IHRA or NHRA sanctioned facility. I should not have been there but I was chasing a big payout race deal it was suppose to be ran as a King of the hill deal and I was going to try for 4.60s that night, but it got voted on and changed to a 5.00 index deal.
I agree they didn't have my back or best interest in mind, can you imagine having that crazy of a crash and the ambulance not being there....another bystander rushing me to the hospital and the Police NOT called? Track owner even confirmed to ME that he was totally blasted drunk and unable to load/ strap down his own car.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #59
Ryan Tucker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
been there also sir..80k in medical bills..due to some drunk hitting me on my bike...on his swamp buggy...he didn't have schidt..I never got othing cept pain in every step I take and an obvious limp..glaucoma..detatched retina are things I live with everyday

sorry for ya bro...sometime there aint no justice
I'm sorry also to hear that you had to go through this. I've never drank, smoked, dipped, nothing but I was ok with those that drank in moderation, I've hardened up and hate everything about it now. Let me catch someone in person drinking and racing....I will deal with it personally then call the police. Guaranteed.

Closed Thread