Compounds and p-pump

Cummins9912v

Hey guys I'm getting ready to do a pump swap over the thanksgiving weekend and am starting to get the itch on what kind of power I will make, truck will have:
Max flowed 180 pump with 5k springs, full cut dvs, .120 holders and timing set at 26*
.093 injection lines and .093 crossovers
Banks high ram intake
Arp 625s
Little head porting
110lb valve springs
Extreme duty push rods
200hp Vulcan injectors
He351 over s475 compounds
3 piece pdi manifold
150 fass that will be set at 60psi
Nv4500 with kennys 4000 dual disk

Truck made 623hp with the VP and edge juice with attitude. Thanks!

I would lose the .120 holders and you'll gain some cc's of fuel. I'd guess mid 700s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracked manifolds and headgaskets are in your future.

I wouldn't expect a massive gain in power over your VP, though.

He is running and HE351CW well beyond what it is capable of flowing on the manifold. Drive pressure is going to get ridiculous beyond what he is pushing. It has been proven time and time again the 351cw pushed to those levels tend to generate insane drive pressure.

I've been running the compounds for a year and have had no problems with the o-ringed head the he351 has some map groove machining and wicked wheel and at most I see 54lbs boost

If you are o-ringed AND 625s then you should be fine. At 54 lbs of boost don't be surprised if you're at 80 psi of drive. Get a drive pressure gauge if you plan to run the piss out of the setup later. Nothing on the compressor side will alleviate drive pressure, though.

Are you saying that drive pressure is more harmful to headgaskets than cylinder pressure?

Absolutely not. However, we see more gasket failures with a quick spooling set of compounds utilizing the HE351cw than we do anything else. Obviously early torque = cylinder pressure. That being said HX35 combos, and S300G combos do not have near the issues.

Last edited:
Drive pressure stays well in-check on my truck till mid-low 3000 rpm range. The reason HE351cw based compound turbo setups, or any "fast spooling" compound turbo setup eats head gaskets is they make monster torque numbers. On this unloaded 1300 RPM to 3200 RPM pull at high altitude, you can see just how quickly the set lights up on the dyno. When we turn on the eddy current load cells to simulate 5000 lb truck accelerating in overdrive, the whole spoolup portion of the graph moves left about 200 RPM, which means even higher torque numbers!

Junker%20Dyno%20Graph.jpg

You can make more power with the p-pump, but you have to be careful with parts selection, especially injectors. Most are junk, but there are a few people making good ones. Avoid II, any fly by night shop, and run away from anything that says dynamite diesel. DonM and Weston are the only two I would recommend, and Weston's are the only ones I'd buy. Fixating on quick spooling can cause you to shoot yourself in the foot as well.

He is running and HE351CW well beyond what it is capable of flowing on the manifold. Drive pressure is going to get ridiculous beyond what he is pushing. It has been proven time and time again the 351cw pushed to those levels tend to generate insane drive pressure.

Is there a better manifold? Or cracking problems would come from to much drive pressure and heat? If the fuel was turned Down to about 600 hp would that be a better set up?

Alright guys got it done about 2 weeks ago and decided to go with a set of 191 instead of full cuts and truck seems to want to defuel at about 2-2200 I am starting to wonder if I should run gov springs down another click or bump the timing up a little more? Timing right now is at 18* just for winter to help with easy starting. Thanks!

Back