"Cheap" race engine

SPEEDSHIFT

Ok Guys, I am building an 05 SCLB to race in the 10.90 class for next year and along with building the rest of the truck, I will need to build a new engine for it as well because the truck I am using has destroyed the #6 piston...

I want to get some opinions on what you guys would build with a small budget for 10.90 class. I would be really happy with only $3k in the long block, I have some power parts, but I do plan on swapping to a larger single and bigger nozzles, however the long block is all I am worried about at the moment.

Here is what I am thinking...

5.9 .020 overbore
03-04 Mahle Cast pistons https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-products/03-04-dodge-5.9l-cummins-mahle-aftermarket-piston-with-rings.html
12v rods w/ARP bolts
ARP 2000 headstuds
ARP Main studs
Ported and polished head by me w/stock shelf
balanced rotating assembly

It will most likely start the season with the power parts from my current 11.90 truck, the list is as follows...

S467.7/83/1.1
Dual CP3 with stock D-max and 10mm stroker
120hp II Injectors
Hamilton Springs and billet pushrods
AD165
.032 jet of nitrous

This combination has ran a 11.18 in my 6700lb truck with a 1.74 60ft and welded the direct clutches together, I believe the truck could pull off a high 10 the way it is with a good 60ft and and the new trans. I dont want to completely strip this new truck, but I would like it to be about 6000lbs with me in it (250lbs).

Is it worth de-lipping the 03-04 pistons, or using a 04.5+ piston with the 03-04 injectors? Is there any power to be made?

I dont "want" 12v rods in it either, but billet rods are not an option if I want to race next season. There was a day, not very long ago before billet rods were common and people still made 1200hp for years without concerns.

I am not saying they arent worth it, just saying its not possible for me at this time.

Billet rods will save you money in the end.

Unless you strip the truck down I don't see you making the 6000lbs and from 11.90 to 10.90 you'll need a cage and that will add more weight to the mix.

The thing is the old 1200hp was at a much higher rpm in a 12v than what it is on a common rail. Your torque down low will make those rods hate life. Now if you tune it for those rods to live you will have left a lot of power and speed on the table.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back