Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
iride813

Name: iride813
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2wd drag truck suspension help!

So getting around to the suspension on my truck. In the rear it’s getting a fully adjustable 4 link with coil overs. But on the front I’m not really sure what the best route is to go. Gonna have the rear setup so the 33/15 slicks are fully tubbed and would like for the front to be level but I still need to have a good bit of travel to help transfer weight. New to all this suspension stuff and curious what has worked for others!

Old 09-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
What's your truck? I have a 2wd 4500lb Dakota with a 4BT in it. Stock front v6 coils with double adjustable QA1 shocks and stock rear leafs with caltracs and double adjustable QA1 shocks. My setup works great and transfers weight good. I attached some pics where you can see my truck launching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5499.JPG (436.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6545.JPG (168.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6544.JPG (487.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6429.JPG (356.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post
What's your truck? I have a 2wd 4500lb Dakota with a 4BT in it. Stock front v6 coils with double adjustable QA1 shocks and stock rear leafs with caltracs and double adjustable QA1 shocks. My setup works great and transfers weight good. I attached some pics where you can see my truck launching.
It’s a single cab short bed ram. Has a built 12v should make around 800 to wheels. It’s fully gutted everything. Should be right at 4K with me in it I’m hoping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF7247E5-7E63-4FF1-8D68-F1ACF22875FF.jpg (233.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by iride813; 09-21-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Home made shortbed that is. Lol

Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride813 View Post
It’s a single cab short bed ram. Has a built 12v should make around 800 to wheels. It’s fully gutted everything. Should be right at 4K with me in it I’m hoping
I have a fully gutted scsb 12v with fiberglass front end and it is still 4750 without me in it..How did you get yours so light?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd run a lighter front spring to get the ride height you want then when you launch the control arms will have lots of available droop.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
iride813

Member`s Gallery
I’ve been estimating based off everyone I’ve talked to and the amount of weight I’ve cut out. I’ve ripped every single wire out of the truck. It will be very limited on wiring running no intercooler no power steering no vacuum pump. Getting rid of the leaf springs as well as the rear of the frame. I was just going off what some people on here have said there’s weighed. Will be full plexiglass windows no tail lights or headlights just bare bones lol. I personally thought 4500 would be lightestni could get but some users have told me it will be a good chunk under that

Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Numbers could be off that was just a guess. Will be a fiberglass front clip aswell by the time it hits the track. I cut the cowl out of it. Basically just the outer skin is all that’s left on the truck lol

Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Numbers could be off that was just a guess. Will be a fiberglass front clip aswell by the time it hits the track. I cut the cowl out of it. Basically just the outer skin is all that’s left on the truck lol
Sadly, I think on my old truck the plasma cutter mods made more difference than anything else. Is your bed a “true” shortbed, or did you make it even smaller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
iride813

Member`s Gallery
It’s the size of a regular shortbed. But I’m gonna but it up to the cab so the wheelbase will be about 2 inches shorter. What did yours weigh?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #11
Crawler

Name: Crawler
Title: Press the BIG RED button.
Member`s Gallery
The location you weld your 4 link brackets and their dimensions will dictate the front end height.

With where I located my four link frame brackets, my front end had to come way down. Lowering spindles, lowering arms, and shorter springs wouldn't do the trick. I had to go further.

My advice is to figure out a ballpark for your front height, before welding in your four link.

95 Dodge-1500 Back Half 4-link 12V
2020 Duramax 2500 HPTuners
2015 Duramax 2500 EFI Live
2017 Powerstroke 3500 EZ Lynk

Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
The location you weld your 4 link brackets and their dimensions will dictate the front end height.

With where I located my four link frame brackets, my front end had to come way down. Lowering spindles, lowering arms, and shorter springs wouldn't do the trick. I had to go further.

My advice is to figure out a ballpark for your front height, before welding in your four link.
I’m going to drop the engine in the frame rails this weekend. I’ll go from there as to how far I want it to go down. I’d like it to almost sit level front and rear. But I want my slicks to be tucked Atleast 2-3 inches into the bed at ride height. Looking like about a 6in drop in the rear From where it sits now. Truck is currently level with no engine or trans. Was told it has lowering coils for a 1500 in front. Not really sure if that is true or not

Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #13
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Was told it had the beltech lowering kit they sale for 1500s front and rear. Rear had the shocks and drop shackles. But front coils look awfully thick

Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #14
Crawler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Was told it had the beltech lowering kit they sale for 1500s front and rear. Rear had the shocks and drop shackles. But front coils look awfully thick
Often times, lowering coils are stiffer than standard coils. The way to think about it is that they lowered the truck two inches (sometimes more) while using most of the stock parts. So, now they have taken away two inches of travel(or more). Yet, they don't want the vehicle to bottom out. So, the spring must be stronger/stiffer in order to take the weight of the vehicle as it cycles the suspension, without collapsing or binding the spring.

For drag racing, you will probably want a softer spring than what is in the truck now. While a stiff spring keeps the front end from drooping, it also doesn't want to extend at the same rate as a softer spring. I'm sure some/most of my terminology is off. I am far from a suspension expert. I'm just passing along what I have experienced.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Often times, lowering coils are stiffer than standard coils. The way to think about it is that they lowered the truck two inches (sometimes more) while using most of the stock parts. So, now they have taken away two inches of travel(or more). Yet, they don't want the vehicle to bottom out. So, the spring must be stronger/stiffer in order to take the weight of the vehicle as it cycles the suspension, without collapsing or binding the spring.

For drag racing, you will probably want a softer spring than what is in the truck now. While a stiff spring keeps the front end from drooping, it also doesn't want to extend at the same rate as a softer spring. I'm sure some/most of my terminology is off. I am far from a suspension expert. I'm just passing along what I have experienced.
How far did you drop your front? It’s close to how I’d want mine. But mine will be about 3 inches higher all the way around. Just from what I can tell by pics. Not going super low for now

Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #16
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Going from stock 2500 springs to stock 1500 springs was a good 2" lower, possibly more.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #17
Crawler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
How far did you drop your front? It’s close to how I’d want mine. But mine will be about 3 inches higher all the way around. Just from what I can tell by pics. Not going super low for now
I actually never tired to figure it out.

Basically I planned 2" drop arms, 2" drop spindles, and some 1500 stock springs. Then I realized that with where I welded in my four link, that my truck would be tugboating (rear way lower than front).

To get the front down I did the following.

I cut out the front spring cup from the frame, welded in an adjustable coilover mount, welded tabs to the lower a-arm(aftermarket arm) and measured the truck for AFCO coilover shocks.

This lowered the truck to the point that my upper ball joint was now the limiting factor. It was in a complete bind and the weight of the front end was being held by the balljoint rather than the spring. So, the upper a-arm was cut, tweaked, and re welded. At this point the truck was low enough in the front, but we could not get the toe anywhere close. So the draglink was sectioned in order to get the toe in spec.

I'll tell you this, it's low enough that if you run a stock depth oil pain, you will scrape it on a regular basis.

For a track only rig, it works.

For less time, money, and effort, or for a more streetable setup....

Front spindles
Lowering arms
Stock 1500 springs

Then with the engine in place and final weight on the front end, place jackstands under the framerail under the cab, level the truck on the stands.

Measure out the rear and determine location for the 4-link brackets. If done correctly, you should end up with a level rig without having to get silly with the front end.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #18
Crawler

Member`s Gallery
I'd measure it for you, however my engine is out at the moment.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
iride813

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd measure it for you, however my engine is out at the moment.
This is the problem I’m having aswel not really sure how it’s going to sit. I stood on the cross ember last night and the dropped a good 2inches or better and I’m about 280. . So I’m beginning to wonder if it already has 1500 springs. Anyone know what the diameter of stock 1500 springs are?

Old 02-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I’ve been estimating based off everyone I’ve talked to and the amount of weight I’ve cut out. I’ve ripped every single wire out of the truck. It will be very limited on wiring running no intercooler no power steering no vacuum pump. Getting rid of the leaf springs as well as the rear of the frame. I was just going off what some people on here have said there’s weighed. Will be full plexiglass windows no tail lights or headlights just bare bones lol. I personally thought 4500 would be lightestni could get but some users have told me it will be a good chunk under that
I would run the charge air cooler of I was you. I never realized how much difference they make until I ran my truck on the dyno with AIT sensors and air was 580* going into the cooler and 94* coming out. Lot of power and longevity to be had cooling the intake charge.

Closed Thread