C13 Head Bolt Torque

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
Friend of mine is installing a new head on a C13. The instructions from the Cat manual have you torquing the bolts to about 120 ft*lbs, then turning them 120*, THEN loosening them all until the washers are loose and repeating the procedure.

1. Won't this mess up the gasket?
2. I Though TTY bolts only get 1 use?

Is this right?

They need to be new head bolts.
That procedure sounds correct. My socket is painted at the point between two flats. I always used two different paint markers, one for the first run of Initial torque and one turn, and then a different color for the second run.
I know it makes me a half-ass but I always did the initial torque turn with an impact and the second TT by hand.
Unless you pick the head up during the procedure, you aren't going to hurt it.
Don't forget the "dumbass bolts", the 10mm bolts down the intake side.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

They need to be new head bolts.
That procedure sounds correct. My socket is painted at the point between two flats. I always used two different paint markers, one for the first run of Initial torque and one turn, and then a different color for the second run.
I know it makes me a half-ass but I always did the initial torque turn with an impact and the second TT by hand.
Unless you pick the head up during the procedure, you aren't going to hurt it.
Don't forget the "dumbass bolts", the 10mm bolts down the intake side.

X2. I’ve been doing it the same exact way for many years. Just wanted to add that it’s very important to use a moly thread lubricant to get an accurate initial torque and to not gall threads on the TT.

Torque plus angle bolts are fine to reuse if not stretched. Unlike TTY bolts.
True. Cat I think only recommends two re-uses now.
The C13 bolts are junk. Replace them if you don't want coolant in your out in 14-18 months

Thanks for the replies, they are new bolts to go along with a new head. I thought they were TTY bolts, sounds like they aren't.

Thanks for the replies, they are new bolts to go along with a new head. I thought they were TTY bolts, sounds like they aren't.
I can't back it with evidence right now, but they are TTY as far as I know, and the indicator is the step on the shank of the bolts

I can't back it with evidence right now, but they are TTY as far as I know, and the indicator is the step on the shank of the bolts

If they are TTY, aren't they only good for 1 cycle?

He has new bolts, gasket, and head.
While it's apart, make sure that the slip joints on the exhaust manifolds aren't locked. They spall internally and then instead of the manifold expanding toward one another, the expand unpredictably and shear the studs off (usually the larger one in the center first.) You can modify the holes, which cat did at some point in production. There is also a MLS gasket part number that worked better than the compacted graphite gasket because it lets the manifold slide around on the head without breaching the seal. The down side is that they will wear rings around the exhaust port, but you won't find that until the next time the engine shits itself.
Replace the hose between the T-stat and air compressor head if it's still cat hose.

Back